Accountability and Motivation needed!

Options
So I am a week into the MFP website, and so far I have lost 5 pounds. My goal is 20lbs down by Christmas

My main concern is staying motivated and holding myself accountable. I have a history of placing a lot of guilt on a bad day of eating, and then giving up.

I HATE exercising but I know that I have to do it. I'm still trying to decide if I should join a gym or work out from home. I know that if I join a gym, then I am more likely to work out - do to the fact that I am paying for it and I don't want to waste money by sitting at home.

I am looking for any advice and people that can help me stay accountable!

Replies

• garangirl
    Options
    Friends and challenges have done me a lot of good. ^_^
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    read my profile. if you like what you see, please feel free to send me a friend reqquest (with a message). i will do my best to motivate you. my MFP friends love me because i am honest, and hold them accountable for their own choices.
  • adgadg09
    Options
    I have done both working out at home and at the gym. Make goals and make it something your REALLY want but wont do until you hit that goal. Have a support system that always helps as well. Taking responsibility and being held accountable for mistakes was the hardest thing I had to learn. But once I did it made it so much easier. It is always hard to start but once you get in the groove it becomes a lifestyle change and easier.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Your in the right place, Log everything you eat and be honest. Just reading about what other people are doing helps me with motivation, Go for it and good luck x
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    For me, I had to be ready in my head for the journey. Let go of the past and start today, etc.

One important thing - I changed my attitude about exercising (a long time ago). I.E., anytime I can walk outside among nature with a friend - that's a great day. I'm not good at going to the gym by myself, but I do have a gym-buddy and we try to keep each other motivated. At the beginning of this journey, I made a deal with myself to get rid of my tired, old, noisy elliptical for a nice, new quiet one in exchange for 30 minutes of some form of exercise daily. My personal thing - because I do believe that at least 30 minutes of some form of exercise daily is not too much to ask of oneself.

For me, I work in a stressful environment, so I get up each morning and do 35 on the elliptical M-F and it helps get me thru my work day. What my point is - you have to look at exercise from the benefit perspective. It takes time to change your attitude toward exercise (if you have had a negative posture on it), but you can get there. Plus, it gives you a little more flexibility on your food diary.

I also am on here several times a day and am honest with my entries.

Hope this helps. Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Fel free to add me if you like. I haven't participated in many challenges but I am here to support you!
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    you just have to take it one step at a time and learn to forgive the little mistakes. I just got back from holiday and I did not hold back on bad eating. now, one day at a time, I'm getting back to my old good habits. why don't you allow yourself one cheat meal per week, fully planned ahead? it should help you stay focused without feeling deprived.

now, about the exercise - very important, but not essential. focus on your diet, because that is where you're gonna lose most from. I know that the hardest part is to start exercising - but after you'll have a healthy diet started, your body will feel a lot better on the move and you will enjoy it much more. it will help your body look better sooner.

think about what type of workouts are better for you and combine them. for ex, I am not able to stick to working out at home - I do a lot better with going to the gym - once there, I will have to put in a nice 1 h workout, I can't just head back home after 5 minutes, like I can stop exercising after 5 min when at home. and at the gym, I like collective classes than hitting the machines (are boring me).

best of luck and take it one day at a time!
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Cheering is my specialty. As for motivation, well, let's just say I walked a mile and a half in the rain this morning because I am determined to get these steps to 500,000 by the end of May. And, I finished compiling my walking music at 120 beats per minute.

I am now going to Facebook to thank my band director (30 years ago :laugh: ) for challenging me to hold up my head when I march...it truly made all the difference this morning. Add me! I'll cheer you!!!
  • rockinrobynoc
    rockinrobynoc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am a week into it myself....I also am looking for friends for support and motivation-I tend to do better with accountability that way too! I have done dvd aerobics at home so far...but I already HAVE a gym membership. I haven't been going there b/c I'm too ashamed of alllllll the weight i've gained....silly-I know, but I gotta start feeling better @ myself and then will push myself back through the door!