Clean Eating 'til Thanksgiving Challenge!

Options
fruits-and-veggies.jpg

So, I want to start eating cleaner! I'm hoping there are others out there who want to try it as well, so I wanted to start a challenge that will go from now until Thanksgiving, or for those of you not from the US, November 24th. That's 46 days away, so just a little over a month! Totally do-able right?! :bigsmile:

Here are some basic clean eating guidelines, but feel free to make some rules for yourself if you don't want to eat completely clean or want to do things a little differently for yourself:

- Eat plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, raw if possible, or steamed.
- Avoid processed foods. Fresh is ideal, but frozen is better than canned.
- Combine lean protein and complex carbs at every meal.
- Eat complex carbs such as brown rice, oatmeal, and millet over processed grains, like white flour or white rice.
- If you eat meat, choose lean organic or grass-fed meats to avoid pesticides, hormones, and additives. Grill, broil, or steam your meat instead of frying.
- Avoid sodas or sugary drinks.
- Avoid sugar and corn syrup. Stevia or agave are OK.
- Aim to remove saturated fats from the diet during your clean eating. To do this, avoid fast food, choose lean meats, and get your fats from nuts and fatty fish.
- Eat several small meals throughout the day if possible to avoid overeating or your blood sugar spiking. Choose snacks like nuts, low-fat or fat-free dairy products (or avoid dairy and have vegan alternatives, like almond yogurt, rice, or soy yogurt), fruits and veggies.

Challenge guidelines:
- We'll weigh in once a week. I'm going to weigh in every Wednesday, so you can feel free to join me on that day or pick another.
- Take starting and ending body measurements if possible.
- Share your starting weight and goal weight for November 24th if you'd like.
- Share with us why you want to try clean eating, what is going to be the biggest obstacle for you in doing this, and what your basic meal plan is going to be like.
- Let's have fun and keep each other motivated!!! :drinker:

Here are some resources to help you:
http://cleaneatingchelsey.com/ - lots of great recipes!
http://www.itzyskitchen.com/2009/03/our-clean-eating-guidelines.html - good general info on clean eating and a meal plan too.
http://www.coreperformance.com/daily/one-small-change/7-rules-for-eating-clean-when-you-eat-out.html - great info on eating out while eating clean.

Replies

• sonnyless
    sonnyless Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Sounds like a great plan! :)
  • samajm
    samajm Posts: 2
    Options
    I will join
  • misssmiles
    misssmiles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i'm in!! i'm trying to make this my way of life so this will help keep me accountable!! when do you want our starting weights and goals? we should have weekly challenges too... maybe workout challenges or recipe challenges? let me know if you need help with anything!!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    i'm in!! i'm trying to make this my way of life so this will help keep me accountable!! when do you want our starting weights and goals? we should have weekly challenges too... maybe workout challenges or recipe challenges? let me know if you need help with anything!!

That's a great idea! I'd love the help if you want to co-manage this challenge with me? :smile:

I think everyone should post their starting weights and measurements today or tomorrow if possible.
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I would love to try. I'm already doing most of these things.
  • beverlyl64
    Options
    I'm in
  • misssmiles
    Options
    YEAH! Bev's in!!

Starting Weight: 146.2
    Goal by Thanksgiving: 140

Goal by Christmas: 135!!
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I'm in!! I'm an avid clean eater (although I occasionally have a cheat 1x/wk), but could definitely use the accountability through the holidays! Lets DO THIS!!!
  • callmebmoe
    Options
    I'm IN!
  • Seajolly
    Options
    Welcome everyone! :flowerforyou:

Here are my goals/stats:

Starting weight: 138 lbs
    Goal weight for November 24th: 130 lbs

Measurements -
    Neck: 12.5 in
    Largest part of thigh: 22.5 in
    Smallest part of waist: 28.5
    Lower waist: 34 in
    Upper arm: 11.5 in
    Chest: 35 in

You don't have to do all those measurements... Just any you want to follow up on.

The things I want to eliminate during my clean eating is gluten/wheat and caffeine (only drink herbal tea, water, or fresh juices). It'll be tough but I believe these things are slowing me down!
  • Seajolly
    Options
    Just made the most delicious clean oatmeal and I wanted to share it with you guys! Perfect for breakfast!

1/2 cup steel cut oatmeal
    1 tablespoon organic coconut oil
    1 cup plain almond milk
    a few sprinkles of cinnamon

SO AMAZING. This is my new breakfast! Next time I'll add ground flax and fruit too.
  • misssmiles
    Options
    i'm making clean chicken and dumplings tonight!! i found a great blog with a ton of great recipes and great information.... thegraciouspantry.com... she is also on MFP. i got the recipe for dinner there. :)
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Weight 201.3

Neck 14.0 on 10/03/11
    Waist 37.5 on 10/03/11
    Hips 44.0 on 10/03/11
    arms 13.5 on 10/03/11
    thigh 27.0 on 10/03/11
    calf 15.5 on 10/03/11
    chest 42.0 on 10/03/11
    (most recent.. i do it every 3 weeks) as far as a goal weight i don't have one for turkey day :)
  • tammylwv
    tammylwv Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'll jump in as I've been doing most of this anyway and could use the extra knowledge and support. Starting weight is 228. Goal weight by Thanksgiving is 215.
  • Seajolly
    Options
    i'm making clean chicken and dumplings tonight!! i found a great blog with a ton of great recipes and great information.... thegraciouspantry.com... she is also on MFP. i got the recipe for dinner there. :)

Thank you for that blog! It's excellent! The clean sweet potato gnocci with mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes looks amazing! :love: Going to make that one night this week I think.
  • Seajolly
    Options
    Welcome everyone! I'm super excited about this challenge and I hope you are too! I know for me personally lately I've been struggling with eating super healthy, so this challenge is a great way for me to eat more veggies, fruits, and less processed foods and sugar. :drinker:

Is everyone starting tomorrow? I actually started this morning so I've been eating clean all day, and also ate 100% vegan and gluten-free today as well. I'm going to try to do that as much as possible, but the challenging thing for me will be getting protein. Today I had the luxury of time to make my lunch and dinner, but typically it'll be more grab and go, so that will be a challenge for me to keep eating clean even when I don't have a lot of time to prepare food.
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling mostly with my job, being on the road most of the day 3 days a week. I am working toward cutting out high fructose corn syrup, I've done really good with cutting down white flour products. My hubby just told me that he HATES wheat pasta bc of the consistency, I was wondering if gluten free pasta was better????

CW: 265
    GW: 250

I will take appropriate measurements later and share!

My goal is obviously to eat better but I want to NOT have to deal with sugar issues. it was slightly elevated this last dr visit, but I have managed to lower my BP from 145/120 to 70/54 and my cholesterol was elevated, it is now within normal limits. All with just diet and exercise!!!!!
  • Seajolly
    Options
    I have been struggling mostly with my job, being on the road most of the day 3 days a week. I am working toward cutting out high fructose corn syrup, I've done really good with cutting down white flour products. My hubby just told me that he HATES wheat pasta bc of the consistency, I was wondering if gluten free pasta was better????

CW: 265
    GW: 250

I will take appropriate measurements later and share!

My goal is obviously to eat better but I want to NOT have to deal with sugar issues. it was slightly elevated this last dr visit, but I have managed to lower my BP from 145/120 to 70/54 and my cholesterol was elevated, it is now within normal limits. All with just diet and exercise!!!!!

I haven't tried gluten-free pasta yet, so I don't know about the consistency. I happen to LOVE whole wheat pasta, though I do see that there is a different difference in texture.

That is fantastic that you've lowered your blood pressure and cholesterol!!! Just imagine what'll happen as you continue to lose! :bigsmile: Glad to have you on board for the challenge!
  • Seajolly
    Options
    Day 2 of clean eating is over for me. I did eat 1 thing that wouldn't exactly be considered clean, which was a protein bar. Also had some Emergen-C fizzy drink mix because I'm sick, which gave me 12g of sugar I wouldn't have otherwise had. But overall I'd say it was a successful day 2, especially considering that I'm terribly sick and it's my first day of my period! :grumble:

How'd everyone else's day go?
  • Seajolly
    Options
    So this clean eating thing really works guys! I had hit a plateau for the past month but BUSTED it thanks to clean eating, but also probably because I've been sick as well... :blushing: But I'm saying it's the clean eating, because I've been eating all my calories, just eating a heck of a lot healthier. I've lost 3 pounds in 3 days! :drinker:

How's everyone else doing? Any struggles so far? Any exciting discoveries?