Polar F6

Options
So I finally purchased a HRM, woo hoo!! I absolutely love it.... it actually makes me feel more healthy already! But I do have a question.

I only had time for a quick little workout before I have to go to work and its snowing so I didnt want to go to the gym, so I jumped on my good ole trusty treadmill and did a 30 minute walk at 3.0 on a 4.0 incline. The machine said I only burnt 220 calories, my HRM said I burnt 275. Now I didnt set up the treadmill to be based on my weight. So how accurate is my HRM? Please help!

Replies

• MellyG426
    MellyG426 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    So I finally purchased a HRM, woo hoo!! I absolutely love it.... it actually makes me feel more healthy already! But I do have a question.

I only had time for a quick little workout before I have to go to work and its snowing so I didnt want to go to the gym, so I jumped on my good ole trusty treadmill and did a 30 minute walk at 3.0 on a 4.0 incline. The machine said I only burnt 220 calories, my HRM said I burnt 275. Now I didnt set up the treadmill to be based on my weight. So how accurate is my HRM? Please help!
  • FloridaGranny
    FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Go with what your HR said. It's more accurate. The machines are not always calibrated accurate enough but they are a good range if you don't have a HR monitor.

I have the F6 too and I find it very reliable. Did you figure out how to download to your computer? Once I figured it out, it's really easy.

Enjoy.......
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Go with the HRM if you set it up with yoru age, height, weight. It will be the most accurate of all!!

Good for you on working out and not making excuses!! (hmmm guess I better get my butt to working out, huh?)

:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Go with what your HR said. It's more accurate. The machines are not always calibrated accurate enough but they are a good range if you don't have a HR monitor.

I have the F6 too and I find it very reliable. Did you figure out how to download to your computer? Once I figured it out, it's really easy.

Enjoy.......

Do you have a special device to down load it to the computer? I tried and couldnt figure it out!
  • FloridaGranny
    Options
    No, just download the program first from their website. Use the one called "Polar WebLink" not the one that says WebSync. My biggest problem was knowing where my computer microphone was. I have a web cam, so I finally figured out the microphone is within the webcam eye area. Make sense? Just hold your HR monitor up next to the webcam eye. But, first, on your HR monitor, go to the File page, and then click down to where is says "send". Have your WebLink open and ready. Then press the send button on the HR monitor. It will start making noises and your computer will show you that it is downloading. When it is finished, then go to the web page and click on your diary.

Let me know what happens,

Carol
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I cant find a send option
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    ok I found it lets see if it worked!
  • FloridaGranny
    Options
    Did it work?
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Naw, I worked on it for an hour. The program started one time and then pooped out. There was a thread on the home webpage that gave very detailed instructions....will try again today!

Thanks for your help. I am in need of some motivation to get back into my exercise routine after vacation, and thought the charts showing my progress would help!

I will let you know if I ever get it to work!

:flowerforyou:
  • candycaneps
    candycaneps Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Oh Hooray! I am starting to regret buying my F4 because everyone has an F6 =( From what I read the F4 is good and is coded so it won't interfere.

So glad you are motivated! I wish I had a treadmill at home.
  • deedun
    deedun Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I am saving up for this HRM but I have a quick question. Can it be worn all day long and then find out how many cals you have burned up or is it only for use during exercise?

I walk into work, climb loads of stairs x 4 times daily, walk home and then do workout..

And another question, what does "coded" mean?
  • candycaneps
    candycaneps Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    It means that it won't interfere with other peoples HRMS. People are saying the F4 does not do that, but the website says that the F4 is coded.
  • Cookn
    Cookn Posts: 21
    Options
    Actually the transmitter is coded rather than the wrist unit. Most Polar's use a T-31 transmitter which is available either as an uncoded or coded. It will say right on the transmitter band(the part that goes around your chest) whether it's coded or not. I know the F-6 comes with a T-31 "Coded" transmitter or at least mine did.

Yes, you can wear it all day long if you wish. If you want a readout of heart rate and calories used, you must also wear the chest strap. It's not that big of a deal, it's quite comfortable to use it that way. There is a caveat although, because the transmitter uses battery power and as such has a finite battery life, using the transmitter will severely shorten the life of it's battery. The battery in the wrist unit is replaceable like a watch battery, however the transmitter must be sent back to Polar to have it's battery replaced. I don't have my instruction manual handy, but it states the amount of hours you can expect for it's(transmitter) life time. I want to say 2500 but it could also be 25,000. I've slept since I read the manual.