Casein/Dairy allergies and protein shakes

Options
Just wondering guys and gals - I suspect I have an allergy to Casein, generally speaking I don't eat much dairy, I'm generally OK with a small amount of skimmed milk. But if I have lots or a large quantity at once of semi-skimmed or richer milk, or have any cheese (other than the cheapo salad cheese I've been using which seems not to resemble proper cheese anyway!) I get TERRIBLE gut ache, lethargy, irritable, naseous and even (sorry to be graphic) dry wretching.

Anybody else suffer with this... I suspect I was OK with definity shakes made with water and as far as I know they say they only contain whey protein - is this true? No casein? As I seem to have been OK with them. Would definitely put suspicions of casein allergy out of the window.

I don't use protein shakes any more but have taken most dairy out of my diet (I put 100ml of skimmed milk in my prridge in the morning. This weekend, having forgotten I'd done that in general, I sampled some cheese at the market (probably about 40grams) and within about 30 minutes I was really quite poorly. I was very ill until about 0400 this morning and today I feel pretty washed out.

Any advice? Any points to make? HELP!

All info very welcome and gratefully received. It's a tricky one to diagnose... also is weeks 'til next docs appt surrounding this ... any body else suffered or think they have? Experiences?

Val

Replies

• drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Yes, casein is made from milk. I hsv te sme thing. Try a good whey protein powder, optimum nutrition is quite good. Ive lso heard some low grade whey protein powders give people issues too....so go with a good quality powder.

Im lactose intolernt and pretty much stay away from dairy. Try almond , rce, or coconut milk.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Not too sure about this, but my son has a straight milk protein allergy. He can't tolerate even traces of dairy protein, be it casein or whey. My doctor described the difference between lactose intolerance and a true milk allergy as this: Lactose intolerance produces stomach pain, gas and can go as high as wrenching gut pain. True milk allergies generally can result in hives, vomiting, and breathing issues if very severe. When my son is exposed externally, he breaks out in hives and water blisters. When he eats something with any trace of dairy in it, he vomits everywhere within a minute and breaks out in hives everywhere. No breathing issues so far. I know that casein is used to solidify cheese products (even soy cheeses) so that may be your issue. Not certain how prevalent it is in the protein powders but they should list the ingredients. Good luck figuring it out.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Did you have any tests for it? Or was it just through eliminating that from your diet?

I found myself to be much better when using pure raw ingredients and cooking my food entirely from scratch and not using any processed foods or flavours. I know crisps/chips/fries etc and some bread has it as an additive so I thought I'd try steer clear of that.

Do you know if casein or casein containing products go under any other names so I can try and avoid those too?

Is cottage cheese OK as I thought that was just curds of whey protein?

Val
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein Isolate would be the most pure.

There are many non-dairy proteins available. I get my protein from http://www.trueprotein.com/Default.aspx (no affiliation).
  • RAFValentina
    Options
    I have a mixture of the two ....

Yesterday I was crippled in pain in my stomach/intenstine/gut, sleepy/tired/confused, irritable - did not want to be touched or anyone to come even a little bit near me (this was just because of being so sensitive- I was happy as larry before!) and as I said, very naseous and dry wretching. I wanted to be sick but couldn't. It was a truly vile experience. This has happened before but it's been a long time since I ate cheese properly. I don't really eat soy or anything like that. I eat a very simple diet normally from fresh raw ingredients that haven't been prepared. I even grow my own herbs and tomatoes and some of my own veg! And I changed my porridge oats even though they're more expensive as I was finding processed (even bran flakes) cereals to be a bit iffy. The oats I use now are literally just that. No powder, makes them a bit harder so they need soaking for a bit but much improvement in terms of reaction.

I only drink skimmed milk.... semi-skimmed seemed so rich. Cream is pretty bad for me. I never eat butter anymore only vegetable oil based margerines.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I know that casein is used to solidify cheese products (even soy cheeses) so that may be your issue.

Cheese is primarily casein protein, except for ricotta (and a few other rare ones) which is whey cheese.
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of this same club, I have to avoid all dairy a half of cup of ice-cream is enough for me to pray for death to come quickly the headache from eating it last at-least 6 hours. Not worth it.

I use Designer Whey protein 100 good for you calories, no MSG, no artificial colors, no aspartame, no gluten, no fillers, no casein, no soy protein, no creatine. 80mg of sodium. 2g of sugar

Hopes this helps...........Oh I use 1tablespoon of half and half in my coffee and it gives me gas but I work in large open space so it's tolerable to me maybe not someone eles.

:laugh: :laugh: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:
  • RAFValentina
    Options
    Haha thanks twisty girl... yeah I noticed I tend to be OK with ricotta - but cheddar/cheshire and other harder cheeses are like hell to me! SOOOOOooo annoying as I have loved cheese. Mind you - one pro is the fact that if i do eliminate them - i can eat more of other stuff which is lower and fat and calories! Thanks guys... I really appreciate it.

Is the only way to stop the symptoms not to eat it? Or can you go through a desensitisation process or take pills or something?

My mum thinks she might be the same... and my bro is very allergic to nuts. My sister's body attacks most stuff in her body and my grandma is allergic to gluten...so maybe I'm at a genetic disposition for it?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    If you think you have an allergy, rather than trying to diagnose yourself, perhaps you should see an allergist. I know it is popular to self-diagnose, but people are wrong as often as they are right. Better to find out what you are allergic too (if that is the problem) or if you have problems with lactose or something else.
  • RAFValentina
    Options
    Cheers Jim, I will do-I'm waiting for another docs appointment regarding this which is in a couple of weeks... would just rather try and avoid if I can and make the enxt couple of weeks bearable as the past year or so has been horrible!