Frustration

salmanajmal
salmanajmal Posts: 93 Member
edited October 3 in Health and Weight Loss
consuming 1500 calories on average for the past 35 days, taking 4-5 meals a day, intake of fiber is ok but the scale is not moving......kinda frustrating.....donno wot to do?

Replies

• Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    I would say increase your cals, 1500 sounds way to low for a man trying to lose weight. I'm at 1400 and I weigh 125, am 5'2" . I was at 1200, stuck and hungry. Going up helped me. My husband eats way more than me, and he just has 10 pounds to lose.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Maybe u need more food? Try a cheat day or cheat meal once a week. Might spark you.

Do your clothes fit better?

Mix up your workouts.

Few suggestions for you
  • Sal it might be that your body needs time to melt these pounds off because genetics do play a part in weight loss, Now i have good genetics with dropping weight by cutting out meat, dairy, eggs, and cheese... My scale hasnt moved in 2 weeks but i think its more about your body toning and then will move once its at a figure good for that weight. Now i would probably say try measuring yourself and seeing where the loss is being taken if not around the waist or chest. My partner says to me that my face has gotten more defined and i look healtheir.. even the doctor said i have a glow that wasnt there before.... I think all you need is a little research and measurement and you will find you lost if not in pounds more than you expected.
  • Amandanoralynn
    Amandanoralynn Posts: 231 Member
    Hi my friend. As a male it would not hurt you to up those calories to 1800 and try that for a few weeks and see it that helps.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    I didn't see a mention of exercise. Your muscles are your friends let them help by getting the cardio and weight training that is best for you,
    I'd also suggest a bit of zig zag. You can try eating different calories on different days and doing different exercise than the ones you are used to. You could be in a rut and need to shake things up.
    Try looking in "search" for suggestions MFPs have made in the past
  • Eskajay
    Eskajay Posts: 5 Member
    Sal.... here's my suggestion.... I think you could increase the calorie number too; To me it does sound pretty low. I only want to shift 5kg (which I think is about 10lb) and I am on 1320cals a day. I am 46 yrs old & 5 foot 6" ( 167cm ). You're not on much more than me! But try including more proteins in to those calories - low fat meats, eggs, tuna, tofu, low fat/diet yoghurt, and cut out some of the carbohydrates such as breads, pasta, potatoes ( especially fried !). If you can, limit your carb intake to the morning only. Eat as many vegies as you want.... there are plenty of good carbs in them, that won't hurt you.
    The fact that you are having more than 3 meals is good - it helps stopping your body going into starvation mode & increases your metabolism.... so keep going with that.
    The suggestion above about sometimes having a "free" day ( more than usual calories) every now & then is really good too. it keeps your body guessing & helps to stop plateauing.... but be really strict the next day, to make up for it
    Another thing to really help is to get a pedometer & try & walk 10,000 steps each day. Also try to include a 30min walk within those 10,000 steps. This may sound like a lot of steps, but you would be surprised at how easy it is if you park a bit further away from somewhere, or take the stairs instead of the elevator.... then the 30 min walk is usually about 3,000 - 4,000, depending how fast you walk.
    I followed a great regime based on what I have suggested and it works very well; I lost 5 kgs and stayed there for quite a while... I just started to get slack & started eating the carbs more frequently which resulted in me putting on the weight again. So... I am back to it & have been much more disciplined and the weight has started shifting very qickly again. This is why I know it works. The best thing about this calorie counter is that it keeps you on track & makes you accountable for everthing you put in your mouth!
    See how you go & good luck
  • salmanajmal
    I would say increase your cals, 1500 sounds way to low for a man trying to lose weight. I'm at 1400 and I weigh 125, am 5'2" . I was at 1200, stuck and hungry. Going up helped me. My husband eats way more than me, and he just has 10 pounds to lose.

becky thanks for your response. i have decided to increase my intake to 1900. lets see if it works :). thanks again
  • salmanajmal
    Maybe u need more food? Try a cheat day or cheat meal once a week. Might spark you.

Do your clothes fit better?

Mix up your workouts.

Few suggestions for you

thanks for your response. yea i have decided to increase my intake. i do cheat myself as far as the meals are concerned especially over the weekend :P. my wife says i look better and at times i also get the same impression but i am not sure. well my only workout is my walk and i don mix it up.
  • salmanajmal
    Sal it might be that your body needs time to melt these pounds off because genetics do play a part in weight loss, Now i have good genetics with dropping weight by cutting out meat, dairy, eggs, and cheese... My scale hasnt moved in 2 weeks but i think its more about your body toning and then will move once its at a figure good for that weight. Now i would probably say try measuring yourself and seeing where the loss is being taken if not around the waist or chest. My partner says to me that my face has gotten more defined and i look healtheir.. even the doctor said i have a glow that wasnt there before.... I think all you need is a little research and measurement and you will find you lost if not in pounds more than you expected.
    thank you jay for your detailed response. i guess (but i am not sure) that i am losing fat from my face and shoulders and unfortunately both cannot be measured. my wife says that i am looking better now but the scale does not agree with her lol. anyway thanks for taking out time for me.
  • salmanajmal
    Hi my friend. As a male it would not hurt you to up those calories to 1800 and try that for a few weeks and see it that helps.
    hey amanda since you are my friend so i am not gonna say thanks to you lol but thanks anyway. i have increased my goal to 1900 now. lets see if it works
  • salmanajmal
    I didn't see a mention of exercise. Your muscles are your friends let them help by getting the cardio and weight training that is best for you,
    I'd also suggest a bit of zig zag. You can try eating different calories on different days and doing different exercise than the ones you are used to. You could be in a rut and need to shake things up.
    Try looking in "search" for suggestions MFPs have made in the past

thanks kat. well my calorie intake is zig zag but my only exercise is my walk. thanks for all the suggestions
  • salmanajmal
    Sal.... here's my suggestion.... I think you could increase the calorie number too; To me it does sound pretty low. I only want to shift 5kg (which I think is about 10lb) and I am on 1320cals a day. I am 46 yrs old & 5 foot 6" ( 167cm ). You're not on much more than me! But try including more proteins in to those calories - low fat meats, eggs, tuna, tofu, low fat/diet yoghurt, and cut out some of the carbohydrates such as breads, pasta, potatoes ( especially fried !). If you can, limit your carb intake to the morning only. Eat as many vegies as you want.... there are plenty of good carbs in them, that won't hurt you.
    The fact that you are having more than 3 meals is good - it helps stopping your body going into starvation mode & increases your metabolism.... so keep going with that.
    The suggestion above about sometimes having a "free" day ( more than usual calories) every now & then is really good too. it keeps your body guessing & helps to stop plateauing.... but be really strict the next day, to make up for it
    Another thing to really help is to get a pedometer & try & walk 10,000 steps each day. Also try to include a 30min walk within those 10,000 steps. This may sound like a lot of steps, but you would be surprised at how easy it is if you park a bit further away from somewhere, or take the stairs instead of the elevator.... then the 30 min walk is usually about 3,000 - 4,000, depending how fast you walk.
    I followed a great regime based on what I have suggested and it works very well; I lost 5 kgs and stayed there for quite a while... I just started to get slack & started eating the carbs more frequently which resulted in me putting on the weight again. So... I am back to it & have been much more disciplined and the weight has started shifting very qickly again. This is why I know it works. The best thing about this calorie counter is that it keeps you on track & makes you accountable for everthing you put in your mouth!
    See how you go & good luck

thanks a million for your detailed response. i think carbs is the culprit coz i am from south asia and we eat rice and roti/naan (indian bread) alot.
This discussion has been closed.