Kettleworx

Options
Hi all,

Sorry if I have posted this more than once but I am new to this posting lark :happy:

I am looking for some advice here on Kettle Bells.

I have been going to a ladies only gym for the last 8 weeks and in my first 4 weeks I lost 7.5 inches and 6lbs. This was only with doing MFP for just 2 weeks as I never heard of it till then :wink: . I am due my 4 week weigh in this Friday so wish me luck ;)

Curves has certainly made a difference in the last 8 weeks but there is only 10 static hydraulic machines and I fear I will get bored with it quickly plus I don’t feel I am getting a full range of motion to tone all my body.

I have been watching an advert on Sky television for ‘Kettleworx’ and it looks fab. I wanted to know if anyone has any advice on Kettle Bell training before I go and order the 10 cds and free 5lb kettle bell for £79.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ali x

Replies

• hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I LOVE KETTELBELLS...i have 5 bells and am about to get another one.

yes they are so worth it, i wish i had learned about them long ago, i used them 2xs a week for cardio/strenth training and the results are real you will burn fat and build lean muscle AT THE SAME TIME, i started using them back in may and since then for the first time in my life i can see muscle definition in my back and shoulder blades which i have not seen since i dont know when, you will sweat, you will scream, you will pray, but by god you will have the best workout ever and see results.

go ahead and make that purchase it will be the best piece of equipment you will ever buy, just be sure to start out with a wt that is right for you, try a light weight and when that becomes easy start pumping up the wt until you feel the burn.
  • LAWIII
    LAWIII Posts: 50
    Options
    Congrats on your progress so far. I am not too familiar with kettle bells other than knowing what they are. I just wanted to pass on to you that in general, for beginners, the fitness program you choose isn't the most important thing. It's discipline. What I mean is that if you look at most of those programs, one of the last things they say is "along with our special diet". So if you have the discipline to stick to the exercises AND the diet plan, then you have enough personal discipline to lose weight on any program. The key is to find the one that you like enough to stick to.
    Be consistent and you will succeed with any science based fitness program.
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I love using kettlebells in my workout. I have #5 up to #20 that I have purchased over the past couple of years. I do have the kettleworx set and it's pretty good- I used it in the beginning of my weight loss journey, but I have now not used them for some time as I just get ideas off of youtube. The problem I had with the Kettleworx videos is that they are really all the same. Multiple DVD's but they are pretty much the same workout so if you are looking for variety you will get bored (I get bored easily too). Get some kettlebells and check out youtube for ideas on how to use them, but I would either rent the videos or borrow them or buy them on the cheap. Hope this helps.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't know about Kettleworx but Kettlebells in general are a great workout. I personally like the Art of Strength kettlebell DVDs. You can also get a lot of information from Dragon Door about kettlebell exercises. Both books and videos by Pavel Tsatsouline. He is a Russian who did much to popularize kettlebells in the US in the last decade.
    Something to watch out for: Since they have gotten more popular, there are a lot of cheaper Chinese kettlebells on the market now. I read one documented case of someone using one of those kettlebells extensively and ending up with cadmium poisoning. Some may contain lead as well. Neither of which you want to grind into your palm for an hour at a time. So get them from a reputable source.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I'm sure Kettleworx is good but you will work up to 10 and even 20 pounds FAST. I just started with the 10 pound and now I want the 15. Jillian Michaels has a fully adjustable bell that can go from 5 to 25 in one bell. I have seen many excellent and FREE workouts on youtube, and some of them use 2 kettlebells at once! It's cardio and strength training in one and I love it.

I did Jillian's video level 2 this morning and felt sick after so go slow :wink:
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have the Kettleworx set and I like the workout, but the videos are annoying. As someone else said, they are pretty much all the same video with only minor variations and it is obvious that it's the same footage edited into multiple segments over and over again. If you can get past that it's a good workout. I don't do it as intended, meaning three times a week with progressing workouts because that would drive me nuts. I just do a video once or twice a week to suppliment my other workouts.
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Something to watch out for: Since they have gotten more popular, there are a lot of cheaper Chinese kettlebells on the market now. I read one documented case of someone using one of those kettlebells extensively and ending up with cadmium poisoning. Some may contain lead as well. Neither of which you want to grind into your palm for an hour at a time. So get them from a reputable source.

Interesting...thanks for the info...
  • Rgrasshopper
    Rgrasshopper Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! This thread was very helpful...I just started using kettle bells too and Loove it! I was about to jump off and buy the kettleworx set and saw dragon door mentioned...seemed like more to offer & will be purchasing from them.
  • chiccaroline
    chiccaroline Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and there's a DVD called Kettlercise available which is brilliant, much better than the kettleworx one. As has been said, the kettleworx ones were so repetitive I found them irritating really quickly.
  • balibee146
    balibee146 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I agree the kettlercise ones are a good place to start. I've been going to a Kettlercise class at my local authority gym and it is good to have a trainer at first checking your form if that is possible. Check out the amazon.com (US site) reveiews of kettleworx - the reviews on there put me off these.

Angie miller's Kettlebell Bootcamp is also a good place to start. I also love, love, love SKOGG system DVDs - he is so good on form. Amy Bento and Lauren Brook dvds also get a lot of good write ups but I haven't seen them!

There's a group on here called Enter The kettlebell - the folks on there seem like real seasoned kettlebell users!

ALso just to say that they are a fantastic piece of kit. Good luck
    :)