20 Habits Skinny People Live By....

Options

Replies

• michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Ha! I thought so! I've discovered this, the hard way.
  • tracikearns
    tracikearns Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Nice list! Thanks for sharing :)
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    Most of them are useful, but I don't agree with the boring diet, and I certainly can't weight myself every day and stay sane!

Thanks for sharing :)
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I feel pretty good now 'cos I must do at least 3/4 of those now. :glasses:
  • 10fairywings
    10fairywings Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think it should be changed to this:

Experts have gone back and forth on whether eating late leads to weight gain, but a recent study published in the journal Obesity found a solid link. Northwestern University researchers looked at the eating and sleeping patterns of 52 adults that were carefully picked out of the whole population to give them the research data they wanted and found that those who regularly ate all the wrong foods that were high in carb sugars and heavy in sturated fat after 8 p.m. ingested the most calories and carried the most body fat. An easy-to-follow rule of thumb if you don't exercise correctly and you eat unhealthily: Stop eating three hours before you hit the sack. Then, while you sleep, your body will retain all the bad stuff you have eaten all day and not burn all the fat you have ingested despite being hungry for 3 hours prior to sleep and your muscles with not grow or mend.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Some of these are good advice, and some I'm not sold on. Rewarding yourself by eating a 200-calorie dessert every day? Dessert is OK but "eat dessert every day to lose weight"?

And eating a boring diet? Nooo thank you.
  • 10fairywings
    Options
    I'll do one more:

Stepping on the scale can be disheartening when you haven't lost any weight and you want to, particularly after an indulgent weekend (“I gained five pounds since Friday?! I can't think why!? ”). But it's best to face your fears, because as it turns out, weighing yourself regularly on the same day and and at the time once per week, can actually help you stay slim. Scientists at the University of Minnesota discovered that people who had eating disorders who got on the scale every day lost twice as much weight as those without eating disorders who weighed themselves less often. The assumption: Monitoring your weight keeps your mind on your health and prevents weight denial but monitoring your weight too often can lead to obsessive behaviours forming around foods.
  • 10fairywings
    Options
    Some of these are good advice, and some I'm not sold on. Rewarding yourself by eating a 200-calorie dessert every day? Dessert is OK but "eat dessert every day to lose weight"?

With you on that one!!!!
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    I don't agree with some of them. For instance, I don't think one should weigh himself/herself daily. Weight fluctuates with water, and weighing in too often is tedious. When done once a week, you can see a noticeable change in weight. I also disagree with eating boring meals. Meals, in my opinion, are better with more variety. Variety doesn't necessarily mean unhealthy.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    This kind of collective advice troubles me in general.

They picked 20 habits from a group of people, and the end result is we do not actually see a coordinated strategy to maintaining health, instead we see which habits are shared among them. It is the kind of article that causes false impressions of what strategies work, and creates dogma which is the triumph over belief over fact.

For example: I highly doubt anyone that eats a boring diet, also eats desert every day. Why do one AND the other? Reading the rationale gives you conflicting goals.

Nothing is provided in the context of one overall successful strategy. Its just a bunch of pointers from numerous differing strategies differing skinny people have used. It is a talking point article of no real value when defining an overall approach.

Editor at Men's Health: I have 20 high priced ads to place

Web Site Manager: Give me a list of 20 items and we can put one each on an ad laden page

Editor throws 20 surveys of skinny people at web site manager: There you go.
  • 10fairywings
    Options

They picked 20 habits from a group of people, and the end result is we do not actually see a coordinated strategy to maintaining health, instead we see which habits are shared among them. It is the kind of article that causes false impressions of what strategies work, and creates dogma which is the triumph over belief over fact.

For example: I highly doubt anyone that eats a boring diet, also eats desert every day. Why do one AND the other? Reading the rationale gives you conflicting goals.

Nothing is provided in the context of one overall successful strategy. Its just a bunch of pointers from numerous differing strategies differing skinny people have used. It is a talking point article of no real value when defining an overall approach.

Web Site Manager: Give me a list of 20 items and we can put one each on an ad laden page

Absobloodylutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I think that's bunk about eating early and eating boring food. Personally, I don't ever walk after dinner, but I'm sure that's good for you.

I wouldn't call myself skinny, but slim, and I've been about the same size my whole adult life.

I don't know how a sense of humor applies to a person's size, though.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

I do eat dessert EVERY single day. Without fail. Often after lunch and dinner.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I still think it's bunk about eating late. I think that is because people who eat late TEND to be eating junk food, like eating a bag of chips while watching TV. I don't think there's anything wrong with eating a healthy late dinner or snack.

Boring works for me. I have a fairly small list of foods that are my diet staples. Makes it easy to track and yeah I don't binge on them.

I also don't like the idea of rewarding myself with food. That's a slippery slope. I'd rather reward myself with a new pair of jeans or something. I do generally have some sort of treat that I can budget in, but I don't really think of it as a reward.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I think some of this is useful, but also obvious. For me, stress management is the thing I struggle with the most when it comes to my diet and exercise routine. I struggle staying on task when I get upset or stressed.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

^ what Karg said.
  • leylaaa87
    Options
    This controversial one works for me:
    Weighing myself daily keeps me honest about my weight but also prevents me from freaking out about my weight. Yes, you read that right- I get less anxious if I weigh myself daily and record it. Why? Because if I weigh myself daily I will get a feel for my fluctuation patterns and why. I don't freak out if I'm 3lbs up from the last weigh-in because I know my weight will probably go back down by the next morning. I will only freak out if I stay that way for more than a few days and by freak out I mean I will make changes.

And I have a lot of the other habits mentioned but not because I wanted to stay thin, just because these things make me feel healthy. I think some of these reasons are why I've always been skinny and continue to stay that way. Like walking after eating a big meal and definitely always taking the stairs. As long as I have time, I will still walk up even why it's ten or more flights. It's free exercise!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Healthy (ew on the use of "skinny") people tend to do these things. Doesn't mean they are healthy BECAUSE they do these things, or that you can't be healthy unless you do these things. "Correlation does not equal causation".
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    This controversial one works for me:
    Weighing myself daily keeps me honest about my weight but also prevents me from freaking out about my weight. Yes, you read that right- I get less anxious if I weigh myself daily and record it. Why? Because if I weigh myself daily I will get a feel for my fluctuation patterns and why. I don't freak out if I'm 3lbs up from the last weigh-in because I know my weight will probably go back down by the next morning. I will only freak out if I stay that way for more than a few days and by freak out I mean I will make changes.

I agree, weighing often seems to work for me, I do know my weight fluctuates based on all kinds of factors - because I see it do so! It helps me stay conscious of my weight goals to "keep an eye on things".
    Edit: BTW I don't even count calories, so please don't think just because one person prefers one way over another suddenly makes them obsessive and/or eating disordered: <- Comment directed towards 10fairywings

I could only get half-way through the list. "Things Skinny People Do!" Oh please.... lol, sounds absurd to me. How about "20 helpful tips to living a healthier life" But maybe everyone's goal is just to be skinny, and be like everyone else? Hmm.
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    I'll do one more:

Stepping on the scale can be disheartening when you haven't lost any weight and you want to, particularly after an indulgent weekend (“I gained five pounds since Friday?! I can't think why!? ”). But it's best to face your fears, because as it turns out, weighing yourself regularly on the same day and and at the time once per week, can actually help you stay slim. Scientists at the University of Minnesota discovered that people who had eating disorders who got on the scale every day lost twice as much weight as those without eating disorders who weighed themselves less often. The assumption: Monitoring your weight keeps your mind on your health and prevents weight denial but monitoring your weight too often can lead to obsessive behaviours forming around foods.

Wow really. :huh:

It works for some and others it may not.