Bananas!!!

Options
MrsSmith1112
MrsSmith1112 Posts: 169 Member
I was given a big bag of over-ripe bananas today! All I know to do with them is banana pudding or banana bread...this could get ugly! Someone help! I need ideas and fast!

Replies

• Lucylaser
    Lucylaser Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    OMG. I had this raw vegan banana ice cream that was just made from raw bananas and cinnamon. It was amazeballs. This looks like a good recipe:

http://www.dailyunadventuresincooking.com/recipe/raw-banana-ice-cream-recipe/
  • AmberXenon
    AmberXenon Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You could mush them up and freeze it. Apparently it makes something almost similar to ice cream. I've never tried it myself, but I did read it on Yahoo before. :p
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Try looking at Gina's Skinny Recipes! Here's an example -

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/09/banana-nut-pancakes.html

She has a ton of other banana ideas on there too. Just search banana!
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    You can freeze them! Just unthaw when you want to make banana bread. Also, banana bars with cream cheese frosting..

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/frosted-banana-bars/detail.aspx

Use low fat replacements and make your own frosting and spread it then. You can also use some whole wheat or white whole wheat flour. They turn out nice and moist!
  • pattypea17
    Options
    Peel them, put them in a Ziploc (in pieces) and freeze them. Frozen bananas are great in smoothies. Or they will be available in winter to make banana bread- like over the holidays when there are people around to help you eat it. :)
  • gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I love to slice them up, sprinkle some cinnamon on top, and toss it all the freezer! :) Wait a few hours, and it's like having banana ice cream. Sooooo good and healthy! :)
  • AungMyat
    Options
    Try a Banana's Foster for dessert. Pretty simple, just bananas and rum and spices.
  • CharlieOverby
    CharlieOverby Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Peel them and freeze them. I spread them out on a cookie sheet and freeze them so that they don't stick together. I use them for smoothies and on cereal. :happy:
    I put them in a 1 gal zip lock to store in freezer
  • Biancalee76
    Options
    Bump
  • Biancalee76
    Options
    Pumpkin Banana Bread
    1 small banana- mashed
    1 cup pumpkin puree
    1/4 c canola oil
    3 egg whites
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    16 tsp (5 tbsp & 1 tsp) splenda sugar blend
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp ginger
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp allspice
    2 c rye flour

Mash banana, add pumpkin, oil and egg whites; use mixer on low until blended. In another bowl add rye flour, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, baking powder and baking soda. Stir until blended. Slowly add flour mix to pumpkin mix. Use mixer until blended.
    You can either make 1 big loaf, or 4 mini loaves. Put batter into pans sprayed with Pam. Bake 35-40 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
    Makes 16 servings. Each serving = 111 cal.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Freeze 'em, blend 'em= ice cream. Seriously.

Actually I'm too lazy to blend them, I just eat them frozen maybe with a drizzle of chocolate syrup. Pretty tasty!
  • MrsSmith1112
    MrsSmith1112 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome!!! I will be freezing them!....most of them anyway...that banana pumpkin bread sounds killer!
  • Gemnildy
    Gemnildy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    WOW..what timing for this topic to come up! I have about 6 bananas sitting the counter that just hit that over-ripe stage as well... was trying to decide what I wanted to do with them! LOL

Great ideas everyone, might just have to try the banana ice cream as I am not big on the smoothy things. Bananas Foster or just broiled bananas (with a sprinkle of brown sugar and cinnamon) is another great thought for dessert!
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I love to slice them up, sprinkle some cinnamon on top, and toss it all the freezer! :) Wait a few hours, and it's like having banana ice cream. Sooooo good and healthy! :)

I am so going to try this when I get home now.... It sounds amazing!
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    Options
    I make this with my over ripe bananas. A few substitutions I make is I use hemp protein for the chocolate and add raw cacoa for the cocoa. They didn't rise much so today when I make them I am going to add baking powder. However they were really good. I make 6 muffins with this not 12 as it says.

http://marialouisepeters.blogspot.com/2009/02/chocolate-banana-protein-muffins.html
  • sharanranran
    sharanranran Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    WOW..what timing for this topic to come up! I have about 6 bananas sitting the counter that just hit that over-ripe stage as well... was trying to decide what I wanted to do with them! LOL

Great ideas everyone, might just have to try the banana ice cream as I am not big on the smoothy things. Bananas Foster or just broiled bananas (with a sprinkle of brown sugar and cinnamon) is another great thought for dessert!

Me too! 3 ripe bananas mashed, cinnamoned, ziplocked and freezered!! I'll let you know how it goes :flowerforyou:
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    You could mush them up and freeze it. Apparently it makes something almost similar to ice cream. I've never tried it myself, but I did read it on Yahoo before. :p

I freeze them...and use them for my protein shakes as needed..or banana bread....mmmmmmm!!
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    looks awesome!
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Banana Bread
    1 small banana- mashed
    1 cup pumpkin puree
    1/4 c canola oil
    3 egg whites
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    16 tsp (5 tbsp & 1 tsp) splenda sugar blend
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp ginger
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp allspice
    2 c rye flour

Mash banana, add pumpkin, oil and egg whites; use mixer on low until blended. In another bowl add rye flour, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, baking powder and baking soda. Stir until blended. Slowly add flour mix to pumpkin mix. Use mixer until blended.
    You can either make 1 big loaf, or 4 mini loaves. Put batter into pans sprayed with Pam. Bake 35-40 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
    Makes 16 servings. Each serving = 111 cal.

wow...yummo~!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Over-ripe bananas are good in protein shakes.