Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

5'4 ladies. Trouble with goal weight.

2»

Replies

• Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    I'm 5'4... started at 149 back in March of this year... currently 137. Boy, they weren't kidding when i've heard everyone say it's harder to lose for us "not so big" gals! Extremely slow process. We have a better chance of keeping it off tho, so thats good. I'm an apple shape and have big hips and bad lower tummy. I've tried a high protien diet with cardio & weights, but just finished reading a book called "Apples & Pears", and the doctor that wrote it said for our body shape, we need a diet high in FIBER (absolutely NO trans fats), and in order to REALLY see results, she recommends an hour of cardio 3days a wk, alternated with resistant training the other 2,... and on the weekends, do something fun that involves some form of physical activity. I'm going to give it a try, cuz i'm like you, and can't see a whole lot of difference. Even my clothes don't fit much differently than before, so i'm really frutstrated:(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

I don't really "strength train", but I've been doing some Pilates exercises, and some exercises I learned in swimming that are supposed to help strengthen the core. Maybe that's not enough? Maybe my body isn't burning as much fat as I originally thought? Would it be helpful to bump up the cardio. Currently I do about 30 min of elliptical work a day ( high resistance).

then start! strength training is as important as cardio and helps you burn fat when you arent even doing anything. when i added strength to my routine, i didnt lose weight but i lost inches like crazy!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    I am 5'5" and my original goal was 135. Once I hit 140 I realised 135 was too high, so I switched to 130. I look quite small at 130, I am now 128 but I still have a gut and flabby tummy with horrid overhang. I think it's just part of having had 2 big babies!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    I'm the same height and same weight as you, I too had 60 kgs for a goal (I'm 61) but have revised it as likewise I think I look pretty much the same. I think you really have to look at being 58 kgs or less. Get your bodyfat percentage checked out I guess and keep going.
    it is hard right now I am trying all sorts of different things, avoiding calorie counting and just eating super clean all lean meat and veges at the moment. its tough trying to stick to 1200 calories you feel so restricted after a while.
    if you don't have kids I'd suggest doing some real long workouts, buy a bike and go for a ride all day in the w/ends, something like that. change your workout reoutines and you need to exercise and exercise hard as well as eating right i think.
  • I'm looking at your pictures and I'm not seeing this "huge" tummy. Sometimes it takes longer for your mind to catch up with your body. I still see the size 12 when i look in the mirror, even though I'm a size 4 now.

I wouldn't lower your goal, but I would increase your strength training. Also, reducing carbs/sugar can help with belly fat/bloating. I agree with the above poster of getting your fat percentage, and working on that instead of the number on the scale.

I'm about the same size as you, except I have a "large" body frame so anything under 130 is pretty hard for me to maintain. Feel free to add me if you need support!
  • Well it all depends on muscle and bone structure, I think you should do some strength training and muscle toning to get rid of the belly. Weight in muscle looks tons better than weight in fat, which is probably why you don'tlook like you want to.
  • I hav this trouble too. I'm 5"4 and am 132 lbs. with clothes on I look "thin" and good but without them I see only a tiny improvement. My goal is 110.
  • trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    I am 5'4" and currently weigh 140.3. My goal is 130-135. I have noticed my stomach starting to go down since starting "clean eating".
  • Lucky you. I'm your height and weigh 149. My goal is only 140 but like you I just cannot get there. Good luck