HCG diet...

Options

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to mention that part of this diet is not being able to exercise. If you aren't exercising and starving your body, what are you losing? Yup, muscle, not fat.

The whole point of the reason that people do this is because you -don't- lose the muscle. It puts your body in a type of "pregnancy mode" and activates your body so that it starts burning the fat -instead- of the muscle.

No, it really really doesn't. 4 DECADES of scientific research demonstrates that HCG has NO impact.

I can't believe people are still suckered by this bull.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    the hcg drops i bought says that light to moderate exercise is fine but not vigorous exercise. So i will continue to work out.

Please, please for the love of god... eat a healthy intake. Exercise moderately. It sounds like you've bought the homeopathic version. Which realistically is kind of a double dose of utter nonsense. Please don't do this to yourself. Do you like your hair? Do you like having nice, fully functioning organs? Do you like being healthy? Then don't buy into this incredibly unhealthy pseudo-scientific nonsense?
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    No, it really really doesn't. 4 DECADES of scientific research demonstrates that HCG has NO impact.

Where there are desperate, uneducated people there are scam artists waiting and willing to take their money.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    It's true, sometimes, people after the diet don't keep the weight off. Most of the time its because they don't do anything AFTER and just expect the weight to stay off.

The thing is that's exactly what the diet sells itself as. So it's not surprising really.
  • Akjenn89
    Akjenn89 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It's true, sometimes, people after the diet don't keep the weight off. Most of the time its because they don't do anything AFTER and just expect the weight to stay off.

The thing is that's exactly what the diet sells itself as. So it's not surprising really.

Thank you. I'm not saying this is a catch all and will solve all your problems. But for -some- people, it's an okay starting off place.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with it working regardless of the chemical being there or not though. Putting your body in starvation mode doesn't automatically cause you to lose a substantial amount of weight. In fact, your body sometimes holds onto it more so than previously. (I haven't done HCG, but I have tried eating very little as possible when I was younger and it certainly did me little benefit).

Starvation mode happens when your metabolism slows down to equal the number of calories you are eating. Until that happens, you will lose weight. So, if you limit yourself to 500 calories a day, you will continue to lose weight until your metabolism slows to the point of only burning 500 calories a day. Unfortunately in order for that to happen, you have to lose a LOT of muscle mass, and a few non-essential or less-essential organ systems will have to shut down. All the HCG hormone does is suppress your hunger, so you can eat only 500 calories and not necessarily feel starving. So yes, eating 500 calories a day without the chemical will work just fine for probably several months, but the overall damage to your metabolism and system will be catastrophic.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to mention that part of this diet is not being able to exercise. If you aren't exercising and starving your body, what are you losing? Yup, muscle, not fat.

The whole point of the reason that people do this is because you -don't- lose the muscle. It puts your body in a type of "pregnancy mode" and activates your body so that it starts burning the fat -instead- of the muscle.

Because they want to be. Or they are just stupid.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

Because they want to be. Or they are just stupid.

Exactly. Too many people just want this:
    magic-bullet-system.jpg
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Has anyone tried the HCG diet? I started it yesterday and tomorrow is the beginning of the low calorie part. I wanted to know if anyone has gotten seriously sick while doing this diet. Thanks.

EDIT!!!! Please no bashing or being insulting. That is not why I posted this. I'm only asking the people who HAVE tried it to comment. Thank you.

Lovely, I'm not bashing you. I have a family member who did it and who is INCREDIBLY sick as a consequence. I in contrast have lost my weight the healthy way. I have another friend who has nasty, dodgy skin and hair coming off in clumps, sticking to this diet 'cause it works!'. It doesn't. It's a training in eating disorders.

Undoubtedly someone will be along shortly to reassure you that it's fantastic and healthy. Ask them how long they've been on it. How much they've lost. How well they've maintained.

I've lost 24lb in 8 weeks, with a healthy diet and exercise. That seems a pretty good outcome to me. Why would you (or anyone else) want to starve yourself, ingest a placebo, and risk serious illness, for a similar, or frankly poorer, outcome?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the HCG diet? I started it yesterday and tomorrow is the beginning of the low calorie part. I wanted to know if anyone has gotten seriously sick while doing this diet. Thanks.

EDIT!!!! Please no bashing or being insulting. That is not why I posted this. I'm only asking the people who HAVE tried it to comment. Thank you.

Lovely, I'm not bashing you. I have a family member who did it and who is INCREDIBLY sick as a consequence. I in contrast have lost my weight the healthy way. I have another friend who has nasty, dodgy skin and hair coming off in clumps, sticking to this diet 'cause it works!'. It doesn't. It's a training in eating disorders.

Undoubtedly someone will be along shortly to reassure you that it's fantastic and healthy. Ask them how long they've been on it. How much they've lost. How well they've maintained.

I've lost 24lb in 8 weeks, with a healthy diet and exercise. That seems a pretty good outcome to me. Why would you (or anyone else) want to starve yourself, ingest a placebo, and risk serious illness, for a similar, or frankly poorer, outcome?

Exactly. We post because we care. We don't want you to get sick when you could be much healthier and achieve greater results.
  • Akjenn89
    Options
    I am willing to admit, that the 5 people I knew that did this diet might have been "a freak batch" that actually had really good results compared to the rest of the world. Hey, it happens. They used it as a starting off point and then became super aware about their diet intake and exercise regularly now.

But to say that people have a low intelligence due to them saying that the HCG diet has had some positive effects for people? That seems kind of low brow as well.

Before I saw the results that these people have had, I was in the same boat. "You're only eating HOW MUCH? You're crazy." But now I'll admit for some people, that works. Not a route I've chosen for myself, but I'll admit that for some people it does work. And the threads that were posted earlier, only asked for people that have had bad results. Look for people to re-confirm that its a bad product, you'll find that. And vis versa.

That being said, of course eating the proper way and exercising is going to be better for you.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

Thank you. I'm not saying this is a catch all and will solve all your problems. But for -some- people, it's an okay starting off place.

So sorry.. starvation is never ok. Don't promote something you don't understand.
  • Akjenn89
    Options
    Never said starvation was okay. In fact, in one of my earlier posts I said that I had tried doing a starvation diet when I was younger and of course it didn't work. Zero benefit from doing so.
  • meerkat70
    Options

Most anorexics eat more than 500 calories (the average anorexic intake is 600-800 calories). How can this 'diet' be 'ok' in any sense?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Never said starvation was okay. In fact, in one of my earlier posts I said that I had tried doing a starvation diet when I was younger and of course it didn't work. Zero benefit from doing so.

HCG IS a starvation diet, regardless of their marketing ploys.
  • Akjenn89
    Options
    My only point was that I have seen people use this diet, and achieve results. The original question was if they knew if anyone had done this diet/gotten sick from it. I have known several do it and not get sick. It's not something that I would personally choose for myself, but for them they did. And they received results. And everyone is different. (For example, I wouldn't). I'm not saying that this is the best diet in the world. Just that I've known people to do it, and are perfectly healthy right now after being off it for a lengthy amount of time.

Not arguing the quality of this product.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    My only point was that I have seen people use this diet, and achieve results. The original question was if they knew if anyone had done this diet/gotten sick from it. I have known several do it and not get sick. It's not something that I would personally choose for myself, but for them they did. And they received results. And everyone is different. (For example, I wouldn't). I'm not saying that this is the best diet in the world. Just that I've known people to do it, and are perfectly healthy right now after being off it for a lengthy amount of time.

Well plenty of people have bad effects from doing it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/338789-looking-for-peeps-who-did-hcg-diet-with-bad-results
  • Akjenn89
    Options

Well plenty of people have bad effects from doing it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/338789-looking-for-peeps-who-did-hcg-diet-with-bad-results

And like I said earlier, I am willing to admit that the 5 people I knew were a freak batch that got good results. Totally possible. It's not a diet for everyone.
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that this is the best diet in the world. Just that I've known people to do it, and are perfectly healthy right now after being off it for a lengthy amount of time.

This reminds me of the 700-pound woman that was just on Dr. Oz recently who is TRYING to reach 1700 pounds. She asserted over and over how healthy she was and that she wasn't diabetic. She claimed to be perfectly healthy. Dr. Oz tore her apart with a few standard medical tests that proved that she was actually diabetic and was incredibly unhealthy, perhaps even terminally unhealthy. There is no way that you can assert that these people are "perfectly healthy" without examining them and running a few blood tests.
  • Akjenn89
    Options
    I'm not saying that this is the best diet in the world. Just that I've known people to do it, and are perfectly healthy right now after being off it for a lengthy amount of time.

This reminds me of the 700-pound woman that was just on Dr. Oz recently who is TRYING to reach 1700 pounds. She asserted over and over how healthy she was and that she wasn't diabetic. She claimed to be perfectly healthy. Dr. Oz tore her apart with a few standard medical tests that proved that she was actually diabetic and was incredibly unhealthy, perhaps even terminally unhealthy. There is no way that you can assert that these people are "perfectly healthy" without examining them and running a few blood tests.

True, totally agree with you. And my sister has had blood tests done throughout the process and after and sees her doctor on a regular basis. She no longer does HCG, and makes sure that she is in good condition. She exercises 5+ times a week now in order to maintain her weight/lose weight the proper way and makes sure that she doesn't overdo her exercises and does things "properly". I would argue she's in better shape and health than I am.

So yes, she is in good shape. However, just because she is in good shape does not mean that I am saying that the HCG made her in good shape. So please don't twist my argument that way.