Empty Nest Mom ?? Motivation

Options
Hey just looking for any of us Empty nest mother's that can't seem to get motivated. Just turned 50 and my last child of 3 is away at college. I find it very hard to do much of anything. My husband travels alot and I know itis good for me. Any suggestions for baby steps to get out of this mode?
Thanks RubySlipper

Replies

• Rubyslipper
    Options
    Hey just looking for any of us Empty nest mother's that can't seem to get motivated. Just turned 50 and my last child of 3 is away at college. I find it very hard to do much of anything. My husband travels alot and I know itis good for me. Any suggestions for baby steps to get out of this mode?
    Thanks RubySlipper
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Mine haven't flown the coop yet but, you could always look into new hobbies for yourself, taking 'me' time, now that you have spare time.
    Lets face it, being a mum is a full time job, and leaves a huge hole when they leave home.
    We just need to find ways of fillign that time, and making the most of now for ourselves.
    Enjoy your new found freedom :flowerforyou:
  • alaskagal
    alaskagal Posts: 326
    Options
    Hello!

We are similar boats as I am an empty nester with a hubby that travels frequently. I found the best way to tackle this for me is to take it a day at a time and plan it out -- what time I'm going to exercise and what I'm going to eat. I don't eat it if I haven't measured the portion size so that I can log everything accurately. I do best if I roll out of bed and then go exercise. Otherwise the day seems to just sort of take over and I never quite get around to exercising.

You can do this!!! You are worth it and will feel so much better once you start taking steps forward.

Best of luck!
    :flowerforyou:
  • happenstance82
    Options
    I like to start each day off with something productive to avoid being lazy and bored all day. It has really worked out for me! A walk is a nice way to start each day =)

Good luck!
  • doglvr_75
    doglvr_75 Posts: 144
    Options
    Welcome!!!!! Please join the 50+ ladies, and we'll try to help you with motivation.....something that helps with my motivation is to put on my "work-out" clothes first thing in the morning....don't know if that will help you out..but I tend to plan my day around my exercise time.....here's a link to the 50+ thread...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/33987-50-women

:flowerforyou:
    vee
  • Sheri4MS
    Sheri4MS Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This is your "ME" time and now with the children gone you do not have too feel guilty about doing things you enjoy. You may be asking yourself what that is exactly, since you have been defined through their lives for so long.

Joining MFP was your first step, look through you paper or search the internet to see what your community offers. I know joining a gym was good for me and I have met so many friends through my running and biking group. Trust me you will find your way.

Thanks - Sheri