Plain Jane

aimzy_fitness
aimzy_fitness Posts: 2
edited October 3 in Recipes
Hiya

I'm a real plain jane and a fuss pot to boot. I don't have a big variety of ingredients at home and make food using basic ingredients. Does anyone have any good lunch ideas for me??

I always seem to be either taking either a boring old sandwich, or doing the evil deed of buying takeaways for lunch just due to lack of time to prep and lack of inspiration!

Thanks!

Aimee

Replies

• nettg40
    nettg40 Posts: 49 Member
    Hi Aimee,
    I have found two bi-monthly cooking magazine called Simply & Delicious and Taste of Home. They offer real life ingredients that you will find at home and special sections for 5 or fewer. Always provide calorie counts and provide awesome ideas!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    I love Taste of Home.

That's all.
  • Teach4Hisglory
    Teach4Hisglory Posts: 48 Member
    Aimee,

I don't really have much in the way of suggestions (as I, too, am a very big Plain Jane). I don't know about you, but I love keeping things simple, and am quite satisfied with my protein bar and apple for lunch. It's satisfying and takes just the right amount of time to eat. (As an elementary teacher, this is very important, as they have many lunch-time needs.) LOL

I just commented, because I thought perhaps the Plain Jane mentality came with the name. From one plain Aimee to another, happy lunch-packing! :happy:
  • a toughie when you don't have much to work with, i bought some tortillas and some fruit and veg for lunch, was so expensive! I know what you mean, i get sick of sandwiches often. Wraps are a nice alternative or possibly make a roast veg salad, just go a bit easy on the oil. Mum makes a nice one with pumpkin, potato, beetroot, sweet potato (or kumara in nz) and some sort of seed in it or pine nuts. or if you have a crock pot, soup is good to make so you have it ready in the morning. I suppose it depends on resources, if you can't heat it up at work or uni or wherever ur going. Good luck! :)

make it a bit taster also with herbs and/or spices.
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    PB&J?

I use a quality jam (preserves, really) that has few ingredients so I can really taste the fruit. I also use sprouted wheat bread and peanut butter with just one or two ingredients in it (peanuts or peanuts and salt. :) ) The sprouted wheat bread has this nutty flavor and texture to it that, to me, really kicks up plain ole PB&J another notch. I've been eating a slice of it toasted with PB&J as snacks recently and it really kills a bunch of cravings. :) I'll bet it's filling as a 2-slice sandwich.
  • If I cook up some chicken breasts on Sunday and store them in the fridge I can do a salad with low cal dressing with chicken and nuts all week.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    I am super picky with foods, but i make a chicken and veggie soup and have that for lunch all week. Also turkey chili, or something I can make in bulk and have it all week.
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    I have been bringing a tuna pouch mixed with dill relish and crackers (today I bought Kashi but I have been using wheat thins). clementines and a yogurt.
This discussion has been closed.