Ideas for healthy dinners???

Options
lcchrt
lcchrt Posts: 234 Member
I am not a cook by any means. I can make the basic chicken and spaghetti recipes but beyond that I am lost! I need some inspiration for good [simple] healthy dinners! Any ideas??

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com :D
  • impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I have been making chicken (*grilled plain or with some sort of flavoring doesnt matter*), salad on the side with some sort of veggies. I bought the Birds Eye Steam fresh veggies and it makes enough for two meals. I spent 10$ and i have enough for 5 main courses, with a salad each time, all i need to do is get a veggie for 3 meals. or i might just cook some rice cause i havent been gettting much in for carbs.
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I got some tilipia (sp) fillets from walmart, they are individually packaged. I've never cooked them until tonight but I sprayed my pan with some olive oil pam and put some mrs. dash on them and cooked them in the oven for like 12 minutes and it turned out really good. And I also bought some broccoli and cheese and steamed it in the microwave....The whole meal was about 250 cals and it completely filled my plate. Took only 15 minutes to make the whole thing.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I like boiling chicken and picking it apart for taquitos or fajitas with bell peppers and onions.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I made a really good pan-seared haddock tonight, and it's very easy.

You need two haddock loins (boneless, skinless, precut to 3 oz size), some fresh roma tomatoes, 1 clove garlic, 1 medium yellow onion, 1 tbsp canola oil, and a large pan with a lid.

All you do is grease your pan with canola oil, put in the haddock (they can be thawed or frozen), dice tomatoes, dice garlice, and dice onion, toss in, throw lid on top and let it cook for about 10 minutes (frozen) or 7 minutes (fresh) on medium heat. You can also throw in all kinds of spices, hot sauce, diced jalapeno, whatever.

It's very tasty and only about 150 calories per 3 oz. serving.
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Dill Beef & Noodles - Need: beef roast (lean), whole wheat "egg style" noodles, plain fat free yogurt, dill (dried or fresh). Cooking:
    Salt & pepper beef and place in crockpot with 1/2 cup water and dill to your liking, cook on low for 5-6 hours. Remove beef and skim fat out of crockpot. Turn crockpot heat to high and add 1/2to1 cup yogurt, 1/4 cup flour, and more dill if you want. Sauce should thicken a little. Cook noddles according to directions in a new pan. Serve beef & sauce over noodles or mix it all together.
  • canuck_67
    canuck_67 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Need:

Chicken Breasts.
    Almonds
    Grapes
    Bag of prewashed sweet pea pods
    iceburg lettuce
    low fat salad dressing of your choice.
    Celery
    Bag of shredded carrots and cabbage

put no salt mrs dash on a chicken breast. Grill both sides. set aside and cover with foil, or plate ect. Take head of iceburg lettuce. Hit it bottom side down hard on the counter, remove core. Cut up and put in 1/2 veggie bag for another meal, rest in a bowl. chop up a serving of almonds - add to bowl. slice a dozen grapes in hald, add to bowl. Grab some celery, 6 stalks. make a cut in the bottom and quickly snap it towards the top, this should cause the fibers to come away from the stalk. Cut them in half lengthways, then chop sideways to a nice size ( apx 1/4") - add to bowl. add a handfull of the shredded carrots and cabbage, same with pea pods (maybe 8 pods). Add a serving of dressing - toss salad. Uncover chicken and slice 1/4 - 3/8" thick. serve over salad either in the bowl, or on a plate. enjoy.

as a bonus you have lots of fixings for later meals another day.

hope this helps a bit.
  • ScoutMomAng
    Options
    I have posted several recipes on here. Not sure how to go about finding them, though.

One of my favorite is low fat buffalo grilled cheese chicken sandwiches!

I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Boil it then pull it apart like pulled pork. Add Franks Red Hot sauce as desired. spray a non stick skillet with non stick spray. place low calorie whole wheat bread in the skillet spread approximately 2 oz of chicken mixture on the bread and top with one slice of pepper jack cheese. Place second piece of bread on top. when first side is browned, lift (spray pan again if necessary) and flip over to cook other side. It's low fat, low calorie, spicy and very delicious!
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I just found a website called greenlitebites.com which is fantastic, or check out skinnytaste.com :)
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Hungry Girl cookbooks. About half the stuff is weirder than I care for but the rest is pretty awesome. I got a couple at my local library and flipped through them before actually buying them just to make sure and I'm hooked. You may also want to look for some sort of healthy college cookbook. I checked one of them out from the library and it was awesome, filled with mostly simple but tasty recipes. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find it in the real world and have been too do-less to order it online.
  • lcchrt
    lcchrt Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas :D