Anyone eat like this?

2»

Replies

• Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Actually I am the opposite of you. Before MFP, I was eating out of cans and other prepared meals. Since joining MFP, I actually have started cooking again and actually like it. I do have to freeze a lot of stuff or eat the same thing a couple of days a week but it is still good.

I also cook mainly for one...as my family members don't always want to eat what I am making..so I make it and I eat one serving and put the rest in single serving portions and freeze them for another date..that way all I have to do is microwave it and its done..and I have it saved in memory base for a later date...

If you make a recipe for yourself..MFP will do the math for you and calculate per serving of what it is..so you don't have to do the math! I love it! It also calculates the nutrition for you as well! ;-)
  • gsenriquez
    gsenriquez Posts: 181 Member
    Hmmmm, I've been eating home cooked corned beef for several days now. Then Friday I made grilled tri tip, so I just switched it back and forth until I finish it. I just reward myself with yummy low carb dessert.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Thanks for the replies. I know how unhealthy this is and how many additives and chemicals I'm eating, I hate that.

I do cook, just not often enough because I find it more expensive and plans change and I end up going out for 3 days straight and the food goes to waste, etc. Most of what I cook is not great to freeze.

Does anyone have any quick, healthy recipes for one they want to share??

I made some really good haddock in the pan with some steamed broccoli tonight for. It's only about 200 calories for an entire plate too.

Recipe:

1 3 oz. haddock loin (boneless, skinless, thawed or frozen)
    1 roma tomato, diced
    1 small onion, diced
    1 clove garlic, diced
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp McCormick no-salt Garlic Pepper seasoning
    1 tbsp lemon juice (Realemon works fine)
    1 tbsp canola oil

Line a large pan with canola oil and heat to medium. Put in frozen or thawed haddock filet. Top with everything else. Cover and cook for 10 minutes (frozen) or 7 minutes (thawed). Serve with 1/2 bag of microwave steamed broccoli (Birdseye makes great veggies with nearly no sodium that you can just stick in the microwave and eat).

With broccoli, the whole thing is about 200 calories. It's very filling, very lean (mostly fat free), and very rich in protein (21 grams). If you go to the seafood section of a grocery store, you can usually find haddock or other fish filets individually wrapped and frozen. These make great staples that can be cooked quickly.

If you don't feel like chopping stuff, you can use Pace chunky mild salsa instead of the tomatoes, garlic, an onion. It adds qutie a bit of sodium though.
  • Ruby11222
    Ruby11222 Posts: 114
    I think my main issue is my stomach stapling, many complications, often can't eat for days, so going to the effort of cooking meals and then not being able to eat them drives me nuts. There are a lot of things I can't eat so finding recipes that aren't boring can be a challenge too.
  • marzahl68
    marzahl68 Posts: 201
    Because of the accurate calorie count, I've been eating a lot of fozen meals and canned soup. I simply don't trust that I could cook something and come up with a correct calorie count.
    Hubby made 3.5 gallons of chili yesterday. We drained and rinsed the beef and I wrote down and calculated calories for everything that went in there. Came up to 177 cals per cup. It took me 3 hours and re-calculating everything a bunch of times before I was finally able to eat 1 cup. I would have been happier with a can of chili with an exact calorie count.
    At the same time, I'm getting very tired of all the pre-packaged stuff.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    I would barf if I ate only pre packaged things. The only prepackaged things I eat normally are clif bars. Pretty much everything else is made at my house. I hate fastfood and prepackaged.
  • Ruby11222
    Ruby11222 Posts: 114
    When I say prepackaged I mean canned baked beans in tomato sauce, canned tuna, oatmeal/barley sachets with no added sugar or flavours, fiber bars, yoghurt, salsa, hommus and vita weat crackers, unsalted cashews, dried fruit straps - no sugar, fiber cereals, muesli, etc. I know it's still bad but I figure they are the healthiest prepackaged foods.
    I would barf if I ate only pre packaged things. The only prepackaged things I eat normally are clif bars. Pretty much everything else is made at my house. I hate fastfood and prepackaged.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    i cant....i make food at home all the time mainly because i grew up on home cooked meals. but realizing how much crap is in those canned/processed/frozen/ready eat meals is just gross. UNLESS i'm absolutely starving, there is nothing left to eat and i dont have any groceries to whip up a meal, then i will, but i dont really even keep that stuff in my pantry. as far as i go is canned tomatoes and vegetables but even that is not a lot. if you can afford it, fresh groceries are your best bet. if i make a meal i add in all my ingredients in to the recipe calculator on here and then i see how much each portion is, thats been helping me a lot. its also helping me masure out things since i never do when i cook, its all by smell, taste and the way it looks so in a way its helping me actually trakc my recipes and the amount that goes into them.

granted, ,not everything on the shelf is horrible for you but just watch the sodium in these things and the preservatives, its kinda scary. but as long as you are picking the best choices thats good. but its always best to can things yourself or freeze meals if you have the room and spac\e in your home.
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    I have to admit I am very much the same purely for the reason you know exactly the calories, fat, carb content etc. I eat pre-packaged sandwichs and salads, mircowave meals, tinned soups etc I know its not the best for you, but I prefer to know exactly the cal content and it seems to work for me!
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    I've realized that one of the reasons I don't log much here (especially my dinner) is because I don't eat any canned, boxed or packaged foods. Everything I make is home cooked and it's a huge pain to enter it all in. I do know roughly what my calories are though. You should try www.skinnytaste.com
    She has great healthy recipes that even I can follow (I'm not a good cook!) and all the nutritional info to go with it. I do believe that living a healthy lifestyle and learning how to cook yourself some decent meals go hand in hand.
  • ChangingTami
    ChangingTami Posts: 109 Member
    For some great low cal recipes you may want to try Skinnytaste.com. She, Gina, has some really great recipes that she even breaks down all the nutrients information on it for you.
  • tracikearns
    tracikearns Posts: 138 Member
    Great Recipe :)

1 Boneless skinless chicken breast
    1 small red potato
    1 carrot chopped
    fresh sliced mushrooms
    cherry tomatoes
    green beans
    1 slice cheese
    salt & pepper to taste

put all of this into a foil packet (save the cheese for the end) and cook on the grill for about an hour or until veggies are tender
    super easy and you can make many variations, I cook it on the grill in the summer and put it in a baking dish in the over during the winter.
    Add the cheese for only about the last 5 minutes so it is all melted and gooey :)