Anybody doing not killer exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing it right. Ease in and do something YOU can live with. And truthfully, 30 minutes EVERY DAY is good and dedicated, and quite a lot!
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, Leslie Sansone walking videos are pretty good too. You walk in place in your climate controlled living room. What's not to like about that?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You're doing really well by walking regularly. Nearly everything I read says that walking is one of the best exercises - especially when you start out and aren't in great shape. It's much better to find something like this that is realistic and that you can commit to than starting a huge exercise program and then giving up in a week because you injure yourself or it's just too hard.

I started out walking then decided to start running (no idea why, really!) but even now when I've started to train for a half marathon (no idea why I'm doing that either!) I still don't exercise for hours a day. I run 3 times during the week - usually for 30 - 45 mins and I do one longer run on the weekends. I always have at least one day a week where I don't exercise, the other days I usually walk or do a short strenght training session.

All those hours of exercise are fun but they aren't actually essential for losing weight and getting healthier - don't feel guilty, enjoy your walking and good luck with getting healthier.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    The craziest workout I do is Leslie Sansone's. I've tried many others and the moves are just too confusing. I can't do something I don't like. So I stick to the basics. I'll either walk, do a walking DVD, play a Wii game, or core exercises with a ball. I still have more to lose, but I'd rather do it slowly with what I'm doing. Otherwise I'll get resentful and go back to where I was.
  • Partyofpugs
    Options
    This time I have a Doctor supervising my weight loss. For the first 4 weeks they are giving me goals. Week 1 - track everything every day. Week 2- 15 minutes of exercise 5 times a week. Week 3 - Eat out and stay within my target. Each week continues and adds to what I have done the week before.

I was inactive before this (except I have a somewhat strenuous job). A lot of things count as exercise. I've counted housecleaning, bowling in a league and shopping. As long as it is outside of your usual routine you can count it.

I bought a stationary bike and we took out a chair and put it in the living room. I've been on it a couple of times. But I can exercise and watch TV and be interacting with my husband. That keeps the exercising from interupting my time with him. The bike kicks my *kitten*, but I'm trying to add one minute everytime I can get on it.

The secret to weight loss is to eat less and move more. As you lose weight you may feel like tackling more exercise. But keep on working at it and you will move ahead.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have health issues so there is a limit on what I can do exercise wise. I do what I can but it is so little, I don't log it. I do follow my MFP guidelines on calories, ect. to the tee and I have lost 9 pounds since September 1 so you can still lose weight. I also have thyroid issues so I am very excited to lose anything. Just do what works for you.
  • jennysmission
    jennysmission Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have to say...I started a biggest loser competition at my gym so felt like I had to jump in and go gung ho..by the way I weight 274 lbs when i started since. I have been doing it for 6.5 weeks now I work out 5 days a week for a least 1 hr classes burning 500-1100 calories a day and guess what ..Ive lost 7 lbs. I def have learned I don't think you have to be killing yourself at the gym to lose weight...I really have thought about cutting my work outs back but I feel like I've made it so far phyically that I dont wan to lose that ground I've made!!

Just do as much as your body can handle..and then push just a little more .. your doing great!!
  • Mama_CAEI
    Mama_CAEI Posts: 235
    Options
    I have 4 kids and I do not have the time to fit in workouts of any kind into my day. Recent reviews have shown that weight loss is roughly 80% of what you are eating and only 20% exercise. I have lost 36 lbs since May only watching what I eat. So, if walking works for you, that's great. But don't feel that you have to spend hours in the gym to see results. Start small. If you simply reduce the number of calories you're taking in, the weight will come off. If you start moving more, it will come off faster. It really depends on what your goals are.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I walk anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours a day.
    When I lose about 10 or 15 lbs I'll add in skipping rope intervals and cut the time down.
    I'll also add some bodyweight exercises soon.

I don't believe in the kill yourself exercise routines but I'm 51 now and have no interest in being a hardbody just an alive and thriving body.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing exactly the right thing. I've had to do the same thing for myself. A few years ago, I was in excellent shape and had built up to working out around 90 mintues- 2 hours a day. I did that for years and then suddenly I started having all these strange physical symptoms- fatigue, muscle weakness so extreme that I thought I was going to pass out after 2 minutes on the elliptical (at the time, I normally could do an hour on the elliptical), dizzyness, etc. I went to dr. after dr. with no results, and finally about a year later the symptoms went away. The best explanation I got was that it was a virus working it's way out of my body. Anyway, by the time I could finally excercise again, I was so out of shape that I felt like I couldn't do anything. I kept trying to pick up my old workouts and getting very upset with myself when I couldn't do them. I had always prided myself in being so strong and fit. I comforted myself with food and of course gained even more weight, and here I am. I have to remind myself that I need to start slow, with something I can actually do and keep up with. I will build my strength again. Right now, I'm doing 20 minutes a day on level 2 on the elliptical, and brisk walking at an incline for 15 minutes a day on the treadmills mon-thurs. Saturday I walk at an incline on the treadmill for 30 minutes. Friday is an off day. Sunday I clean and do laundry, so I do a smaller workout...just a 15 minute cardio tape. I've so far made it two full weeks with this routine, so I just rewarded myself with some new songs for my workout playlist. I really need some new gym shoes, so I'm planning on getting those after a full month of completing my workout schedule.
  • d1lazarus
    Options
    I think others have said it but don't try to compare yourself to what others are doing. Everyone is going to be different. A couple of months ago I began my journey and it started out as just being so bloody bored sitting in the house that I decided to go for a walk. Next thing I knew I was out walking every night going from 1.5-2 miles. Then we had some rain and I didn't want to stop so I started going to the gym and riding stationary bike, ended up with a year membership, and am still going almost religiously every night. I did take one day off a couple of weeks ago and felt like crap the next day and was glad to get back to it.

What I have found works for me is if I feel myself starting to get bored with a particular routine I will change it up. Change the program I am running on the bike, do some strength training, shoot some hoops, or just something different to break up the monotony and with being at the rec center there is a lot to do. They even have a climbing wall there but I figure I need to work a lot longer before I try that but maybe that is a goal I could set for myself.