Daily Calorie Goal

Hello,

I've been reading about how you should be eating your calorie goal each day...plus exercise calories. Because I'm large, my goal is up at about 2500 per day (exercise can push this up to over 3000), and since I've started tracking what I'm eating I have realised I don't eat nearly this amount. I'm actually having a bit of trouble imagining eating that much more (I currently average about 1500).

If I'm full all day and not getting sick or dizzy etc. should I just keep going like this? Or is it really that much better to try and eat all the calories each day?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• toque_de_miel
    toque_de_miel Posts: 223 Member
    MFP tries to calculate it out to be what you need to lose 1 or 2 lbs/wk (depending on how you set it up) by using your basal metabolic rate & what you list as your daily activity level.

Personally, I say if you're feeling full, why overstuff yourself? I'd focus on making the healthiest food choices you can. Also, I never eat back my exercise calories and hover around 1200 cals a day or less usually.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Seeing as you have head room to eat a bit more why don't you incorporate things like cheese on your pasta, yogurt with your curry, avocado on toast (ie healthy, high calorie things). What ever you decide to do, review it in a month to see if it is working :-)
  • I would advise to eat as much as you can. you might try eating more calorie dense foods like peanut butter and nuts to help you reach your goals. Go for avacados as well. I would at least try to make it up into 2000, just to make sure you aren't under eating and starving your body C:
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    i never eat my exercise calories.
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    MFP tells me I should be eating 2200 calories/day for 2lbs/week loss. Screw that tho, I manually set mine to 1500/day because if I've got a lot to lose as well, and if I can shed 3-4lbs/week instead, I'm going to do that. Eventually when I lose all the weight, it's going to want me to only be eating 1300-1500 calories a day anyway, so I'm getting a jump on it :).

If you're not hungry, don't eat IMO, as long as you're getting enough to feel normal, you're doing it right. Not everything works for everyone, a lot of it is trial and error to get things right.

Good luck, you can do it!
  • Eat untill you feel full, do not , I repeat, do not stuff yourself, find your calorie limit, and If you feel healthy and energetic, not hungry then stick to that limit :)
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    It's fine to stick to healthy foods and eat very little BUT eat 3k calories once a week to keep your metabolism up. Otherwise you will plateau due to a slower metabolism.
  • Eat what your body tells you you need. overeating is what gets most of us into this situation to begin with. I am supposed to eat 1450 a day being a SAHM and female, I hover around 1200 usually. My boyfriend is a big boy too, probably bigger than you. He's supposed to aim for 3000cal a day, he eats about 1500. However, we also take supplements, gummy multivitamins :-) , calcium pyruvate (thermogenic), I still take my prenatal vitamins, fish oil and garlic. So we are getting nutrients from those too. i would suggest getting a multivitamin you like to help make up for what you aren't eating.