help needed understanding...

it says to loose .5kg (1lb) per week to need to be negative 500-1000cals.
so does that mean.....
if i set my goal for 1200cals, i ate 1400 instead daily i would need to work out 500cals of exercise therefore really only consuming 900cals?? is that correct???

if its confusing im sorry im confused so i guess this will sound it too :)

Replies

• Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    It sets your daily calories for you with the deficit already built in!
  • that sounds right but remember, losing 5 kg a week especially if you do not have much to lose ,might have a bad impact on your skin, plus you want to try and make it your lifestyle, so unless you are planning to excercise 500 calories everyday I would recomend to go for 1-3 kg a week, and gradually work your way up to your goal weight, in this way your body will have less stress and there is time to relax
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    What Chickie say!

You selected "lose 1 pound" a week when you were setting up your goals.
    MFP does all the rest of the maths for you.

Now you can eat your daily calorie goal (1200) plus the calories you burn during exercise (500).
    That gives you 1700 to eat today, so if you've already eaten 1400, feel free to eat 300 cals more (make it healthy stuff if you can!)
  • breezad
    breezad Posts: 237 Member
    that sounds right but remember, losing 5 kg a week especially if you do not have much to lose ,might have a bad impact on your skin, plus you want to try and make it your lifestyle, so unless you are planning to excercise 500 calories everyday I would recomend to go for 1-3 kg a week, and gradually work your way up to your goal weight, in this way your body will have less stress and there is time to relax

sorry thats meant to read 0.5kg - 1kg ahah sorry
    but yeah gees id love to loose 5kg in a week hahah :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    that sounds right but remember, losing 5 kg a week especially if you do not have much to lose ,might have a bad impact on your skin, plus you want to try and make it your lifestyle, so unless you are planning to excercise 500 calories everyday I would recomend to go for 1-3 kg a week, and gradually work your way up to your goal weight, in this way your body will have less stress and there is time to relax

She wants to lose 0.5 (about 1 pound) per week, it's hard to see the dot but it makes a big difference!
    I really wouldn't recommend trying to lose 3kg (about 7 pounds a week!) that would be pretty tough on your body, as you so rightly point out.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member

no if you eat 1200 and exercise 500, you should eat 1700. the defecit is already worked out for you.
  • breezad
    breezad Posts: 237 Member
    so today for instance, i eat about 1300 but exercise 600 so my net is 700cals...
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Right, so that 600 cals from exercise, you can choose to eat them if you like to bring your net cals up, thus ending up eating a total of 1700-1800 cals making your NET cals back at 1200
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    so today for instance, i eat about 1300 but exercise 600 so my net is 700cals...

yes but you should eat them back.
    or you could change your loss to 1/2-1 pound per week and work out for the defecit instead of it already being there.