When its gone are you really happy?

Options
2»

Replies

• pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    The time to be happy is NOW. Happiness is accepting yourself and your life just how it is, although acknowledging what can be improved and moving towards improving it, is a good thing.

I lost a ton of weight and then immediately started putting it back on. I needed to learn lessons about myself and permanently replace destructive nurturing behaviours with more constructive behaviours. Hey, I know I can't undo all the damage I've done to my body over the years, but I can improve it, and I love it NOW.

My body can do so much more now I am fitter, and I'm looking damn good in clothes. I'm not done though and I won't stop until I know I am at a healthy weight. What will my life/perspective look like then? I'm not sure but I'm excited to find out.

GG
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    In a word, no.
    Losing weight in and of itself won't make you happy.
    But it might make you pleased and proud and help your self esteem and make you more likely to try and do things that you weren't prepared to do before.

I bet, though that if you tried you could come up with a list of things that do make you happy. Something like this:
    - getting a sleepy goodnight kiss from your kids
    - laughing like a mad thing with friends
    - walking out in the early morning sunshine on a fresh spring day
    - getting a "thank you" from a stranger for something you have done to make their day brighter
    - exercising (I never really believed it was possible, but running makes me happy. It really lifts my mood!)
  • sonjalucia
    sonjalucia Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You raise such a good question - I've been asking myself that for the past week!

I've recently lost 37lbs and have no idea why I've been so moody and depressed. Your post really made me think it through.

I think losing weight is a mind game that requires not only self discipline, but a lot of control. In my personal experience, I like controlling this weight loss.. but now that I've lost enough, I feel sad that I cannot commit as much effort to it as I needed to before?

Mixed emotions over here too sister!
  • karisbear
    karisbear Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You raise such a good question - I've been asking myself that for the past week!

I've recently lost 37lbs and have no idea why I've been so moody and depressed. Your post really made me think it through.

I think losing weight is a mind game that requires not only self discipline, but a lot of control. In my personal experience, I like controlling this weight loss.. but now that I've lost enough, I feel sad that I cannot commit as much effort to it as I needed to before?

Mixed emotions over here too sister!

Do u ever feel like if you let go and be happy about it u might let go and it all go south? i gained 5 lbs this summer after loosing 15 i feel very mix i one day will feel like i did a good job damnit!! other days i feel like really did u need that piece of cake and now look what you did

by the way congrats to you all on ur weight loss!!!
  • karisbear
    karisbear Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I bet, though that if you tried you could come up with a list of things that do make you happy. Something like this:
    - getting a sleepy goodnight kiss from your kids
    - laughing like a mad thing with friends
    - walking out in the early morning sunshine on a fresh spring day
    - getting a "thank you" from a stranger for something you have done to make their day brighter
    - exercising (I never really believed it was possible, but running makes me happy. It really lifts my mood!)

those are very good reasons for being more then happy thank u
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You're welcome. I think it's easy to focus on one thing (like weight loss) and decide that it's the weight that is the problem and when that is gone, all will be well. The only problem with this is that it can mean that when you've done all that hard work you might not enjoy the results as much as you should because in reality, all the things that are going on in your life will still be going on, you'll just be a thin person dealing with them.
    In case this sounds negative - the flip side is that the things that make you happy are probably already around, you just have to look for them :smile:
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JackKsavestheday
    JackKsavestheday Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a very emotional process but when you don't go to the root of why you gain the weight, it will always be a problem. I am still almost 300 pounds, but I am the happiest I have ever been in my entire life. Accept yourself now, and you'll be happy at any size. You'll focus on your health, and the pounds will come off, you'll get stronger, and your mental well being will flourish.

I did feel that way a lot though in the beginning. Again, it's understanding why you have weight problem. You have to pull from the root.

YES!!!!