Cruelty Free Meat Brands..?

Options
2»

Replies

• GeauxDonielle
    GeauxDonielle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    There are meats that do not come from "factory farms" . Look for pasture raised or local butchers. Organic meat Means less chemicals that can be sent to you but terrible for animal cause if they get sick they are not allowed to be given antibiotics. I gave up meat completely to not support factory farming cruelty. It's a very touchy subject people get so offended when this topic is brought up. Typically humanely killed meat or pasture raised is alittle pricier but if everyone would get on board with it things could be more affordable.
    Certifiedhumane.org

Here in Louisiana we have Klienpeter milk and dairy products which comes from a local farm where they name all their cattle and they are pasture raised and treated respectfully. They have been awarded the 100%humane award also
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    There are meats that do not come from "factory farms" . Look for pasture raised or local butchers. Organic meat Means less chemicals that can be sent to you but terrible for animal cause if they get sick they are not allowed to be given antibiotics. I gave up meat completely to not support factory farming cruelty. It's a very touchy subject people get so offended when this topic is brought up. Typically humanely killed meat or pasture raised is alittle pricier but if everyone would get on board with it things could be more affordable.
    Certifiedhumane.org

Here in Louisiana we have Klienpeter milk and dairy products which comes from a local farm where they name all their cattle and they are pasture raised and treated respectfully. They have been awarded the 100%humane award also

That's exactly the info I was looking for. I'm hoping it won't be too hard to find it since I live in Alaska, and things can be pretty limited up here.
    Thank You!
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    I think that looking for places that allow animals to LIVE humanely is the important thing. I noticed that a few people have given some helpful suggestions and links which is good. I would suggest too focusing on looking for the free range/grain fed options. Although maybe it's not really free range? I guess for me I feel a little better eating something that I (hopefully) know was able to have some space to move around. Personally I don't think *killing* the animal is the problem, it's more so the life they life before they are killed, so if you are going for those free range options you are doing something that is a step in the more humane direction.There is really nothing wrong with killing something and eating it, we've been doing it for thousands and thousands of years.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    When it comes to killing, there is no such thing as "humane".

Can I ask what is holding you back from a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle?
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    Do these even exist? I don't think I can be vegetarian (yet..) but I'm all for the humane treatment of animals. Do they have brands of meat that are organic/free range/hormone free/etc...?

For some, eating animals is cruel by definition, but if you mean "food raised through less cruel, more humane" methods, I would recommend http://eatwild.com/ for a listing of farmers across the nation who raise their livestock grass-fed. Michael Pollan has a nice section in his book Omnivore's Dilemma that describes a grass farmer named Joel Salatin and how he raises his animals compared to corporate factory farming methods. I think Food Inc is the documentary of Pollan's Omnivore Dilemma, in case you have a Netflix account. Mr. Salatin tries to emulate a mini-ecosystem on his farm, which is also very environmentally sustainable.

Another place I found recently is US Wellness Meats (http://www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok). I was thinking of ordering some bone broth from them based on what I'd read in Dr. Catherine Shanahan's (MD) book Deep Nutrition and the Weston A. Price foundation's articles. Hope this helps.
  • healthorhighwater
    healthorhighwater Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    All I can say is there's no such thing as humane slaughter..
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I'm not.gonna lie...when I read the title I laughed out loud...but then I read your post and I get where you're coming from. Im pretty sure there are guidelines on how people have to kill the animals so I'd look that up and see which companies do it as humanely as possible

as for eating animals being the same to eating humans...I'm a proud member of PETA -- People for the Eating of Tasty Animals. there's a big difference. just my two cents.
  • webfootcajun
    Options
    Humans have eaten meat since there have been humans. I will never understand why people want to pressure someone to be a vegan / vegetarian when it flies in the face of human nature. If you want "humane" meat, try wild game, or venison. But i wont try to make you feel bad for eating it, or not eating it.

And I wont judge you for it either. Good luck finding what you are looking for.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I'm not.gonna lie...when I read the title I laughed out loud...

Yeah I assumed that would happen a lot. I was just hoping people could be mature and just give me the info I needed. Which I got.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Do these even exist? I don't think I can be vegetarian (yet..) but I'm all for the humane treatment of animals. Do they have brands of meat that are organic/free range/hormone free/etc...?

Your best bet is to find a local farmer that practices sustainable farming. This means that his livestock (cows, pigs, chickens) lived happy, free roaming lives and then are humanely slaughtered.

They ate the food that nature intended them to eat and were not filled with growth hormones and antibiotics either.

The meat from free range, grass fed animals tastes so much better than the grain fed meat found in the grocery stores from those factory farms.