5k by November 19th?

Options
Is it realistic for me to sign up for a 5k that happens on November 19th? I can run for about 5 mins at a time right now before I have the 'omg I want to quit' attitude (which I realize needs to change!)

I have done C25K before but never finished it- I got up to like week 5. I would always pull a muscle or get sick or something in life happened and I gave up. (I am such a quitter, no lie- but times they are a'changin'!)

I realize I could still do it and walk some, run some. I more or less just want to prove to myself that I can finish one. I went to the website and almost signed up but felt major anxiety!

Comments/advice?

Replies

• jojonesnz
    jojonesnz Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    of course you can do it if you set your mind to it, and there is nothing wrong with running/walking parts of it:)
    you should get people to sponser you, pick a charity you like and get people to donate money to the charity once you have completed the race, it helps hold you aco****able and keeps you motivated cos sometimes its easy for us to make excuses, well it is for me anyway haha
    there was an awesome programme in the australian womens health magazine a couple of months ago that gave you a plan for running a 5k, if you want i can scan it through to you, private message me your email addy:)

good luck

xx
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    You can do it and I have found that nothing motivates me like signing up for a race. You don't have to win, you just have to finish.
    A favorite quote of mine is by Marie de Vinchy Chamrond. It says "The distance is nothing. It is only the first step that is difficult.".
    You can do it, if you have to take a walk break take a walk break. You can do it. Go for it!
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    of course you can do it if you set your mind to it, and there is nothing wrong with running/walking parts of it:)
    you should get people to sponser you, pick a charity you like and get people to donate money to the charity once you have completed the race, it helps hold you aco****able and keeps you motivated cos sometimes its easy for us to make excuses, well it is for me anyway haha
    there was an awesome programme in the australian womens health magazine a couple of months ago that gave you a plan for running a 5k, if you want i can scan it through to you, private message me your email addy:)

good luck

xx

Sent!
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    You can do it and I have found that nothing motivates me like signing up for a race. You don't have to win, you just have to finish.
    A favorite quote of mine is by Marie de Vinchy Chamrond. It says "The distance is nothing. It is only the first step that is difficult.".
    You can do it, if you have to take a walk break take a walk break. You can do it. Go for it!

Thank you!!! I LOVE that quote! :)
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    In this instance, I don't think that signing up to put pressure on yourself is a good idea.

Are you in the UK? If so, google Parkrun and see if there is one near you. It's a timed 5k every sat morning. Attracts all sorts, from good runners to those that walk the whole thing - so you definitely won't feel out of place. You will be able to see your results online and see your progress over the weeks - and it's all completely free!

You can cover a 5k on nov 19th for sure but where does that get you. Take your training slowly and build up very gradually - what's the rush? There's no point pushing yourself to a strain or an injury that will set you back to square one and disappointment
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Okay, imagine its Saturday evening of November 19th.

On this morning you had either participated in a 5k; or like the year before you haven't. It could be just another Saturday night like countless of other Saturday nights like before. Or, on this evening you feel a sense of accomplishment for meeting up to a challenge. On this evening you feel pride that you have done something that you thought you possibly could not have done months before.

Yes it is challenging because you have not done it before; and maybe you have not completed a C25K program before. But that does not mean its time to give up.

Now imagine its a year from now and its fall of 2012. Maybe you could see yourself logging into MFP. Then you notice a topic off to the side; and its about someone else asking if its possible if he/she could train for their 5K. Could you see yourself responding and sharing your experience?
    Just make it happen.

The training schedule is tight, really tight. But doable. You CAN work at it, and you can achieve a personal best. That can be finishing it; run more than walk; jog non-stop; or go for a new faster time. Pick a reasonable goal and shoot for it.
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    In this instance, I don't think that signing up to put pressure on yourself is a good idea.

Are you in the UK? If so, google Parkrun and see if there is one near you. It's a timed 5k every sat morning. Attracts all sorts, from good runners to those that walk the whole thing - so you definitely won't feel out of place. You will be able to see your results online and see your progress over the weeks - and it's all completely free!

You can cover a 5k on nov 19th for sure but where does that get you. Take your training slowly and build up very gradually - what's the rush? There's no point pushing yourself to a strain or an injury that will set you back to square one and disappointment

I'm not in the UK (that program sounds awesome, btw!) but I'm more or less wanting to do this to prove to myself I can do it. By do it I mean finish it, not necessarily run the whole thing. I know not to push myself to injury- I've done it before!
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    Okay, imagine its Saturday evening of November 19th.

On this morning you had either participated in a 5k; or like the year before you haven't. It could be just another Saturday night like countless of other Saturday nights like before. Or, on this evening you feel a sense of accomplishment for meeting up to a challenge. On this evening you feel pride that you have done something that you thought you possibly could not have done months before.

Yes it is challenging because you have not done it before; and maybe you have not completed a C25K program before. But that does not mean its time to give up.

Now imagine its a year from now and its fall of 2012. Maybe you could see yourself logging into MFP. Then you notice a topic off to the side; and its about someone else asking if its possible if he/she could train for their 5K. Could you see yourself responding and sharing your experience?
    Just make it happen.

The training schedule is tight, really tight. But doable. You CAN work at it, and you can achieve a personal best. That can be finishing it; run more than walk; jog non-stop; or go for a new faster time. Pick a reasonable goal and shoot for it.

Wow, what a wonderful mental image! Going to sign up now... :) This is exactly what I needed to hear!
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    Of course you can do it! Honestly, if I can, then I believe with all my heart that anyone can. You have just the right amount of time to build up your runs to run the entire 5k. But if you walk it, so what!!!

Just add a little bit each run until you have run the distance. Is it hard, you bet! Will you feel on top of the world after the race - guaranteed!!!!!

I have only ran one, and I did it by myself, and found each and every person I encountered to be friendly and supportive.

You are stronger than you think!
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    There are a few possible outcomes here. 1. you train and finish the 5k and you feel good about it. 2. you train too much, get a strain, don't complete it and feel bad about it. Obviously you want outcome1 so the issue is the risk involved. You can achieve outcome 1 - a time that reduces the risk of strain and set-backs - and allows you time to train to complete it in style - ie running the whole thing (at whatever pace).

I can run a 5k no problem but want to improve my time and have started an 8 week programme. You can finish a 5k now BUT if you want to run your first 5k then I think you need to target something maybe 8-10 weeks away - maybe even early in the new year.

good luck