Sweat and Hair!

Options
I have very long, very thick hair, which I don't like to wash every day as it becomes dry. However, as I'm working out every day I don't really have a choice as my hair can become greasy otherwise, or look a mess. I know it's a bit gross, but does anybody have any ideas for keeping my hair free from sweat so I'm not constantly washing it!!

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I also have very long thick hair. I put it in a plait when I exercise which keeps it off me better than a ponytail. I don't sweat much, so I don't feel like I have to wash it every time I exercise. I usually wash it every 2 or 3 days. More than that it gets too dry.
  • rowe_a
    rowe_a Posts: 9
    Options
    Have you tried the water free hari wash?? You get it from the chemist and it is in a spray can thing. Haven't tried it yet, but could be worth a go for you. Good luck, all the best
  • BotsMomJ
    BotsMomJ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Tresemme makes a dry shampoo.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Batiste dry shampoo is great for freshening up hair when It goes a little greasy especially on your fringe if you have one. I get it from the uk shops like boots and superdrug. Im pretty sure you could buy it on the internet x
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I just rinse my hair really well after a workout when I don't want to shampoo. (This is what my hair stylist recommended I do on my wedding day, and I figured if it worked then, it's fine for normal days too.)
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    You don't really have to wash it every single day. I have fine, curly hair and it is a BEAST. I only wash 2x a week but I RINSE every day, and often use conditioner. As long as you're rinsing after your workouts and not using a ton of product, you should be fine with 2-3x a week to 'poo it. :)
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    At Sephora.com there is a brand called Ojon. They have some of the water free shampoos. I've ordered some to use after the gym (I have to go back to work after!). That may help you, too...it's supposed to leave your hair smelling like you just shampooed it.
  • cobblers88
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but I'm vegan so can't use a lot of products and also try to avoid using things in my hair!

I've tried wearing a head band but that really makes my hair look a mess afterward. Wasn't sure if a sweat band would help or hinder?
  • cobblers88
    Options
    I'd never thought about rinsing! Always asumed that was bad for my hair. I'll give it a try, thanks.
    Do you rinse the whole head or just around the face/scalp?
  • hazedot
    hazedot Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I tend to wear a headband, much like a sweatband when I work out, keeps hair out of my face and stops it getting sweaty.
    I have very dry, frizzy, curly and what can only be described as afro hair. it's a nightmare.
  • Runninginafatsuit
    Runninginafatsuit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This might not be for everyone but there's a stylist named Ouidad who has this suggestion (as well as her thoughts on sweat and hair):

http://blog.ouidad.com/index.php/2009/05/14/a-stylists-work-is-never-done/
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I often just condition my hair after a gym session and use Lush's Veganese, a vegan conditioner (smells fantastic as well).
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'd never thought about rinsing! Always asumed that was bad for my hair. I'll give it a try, thanks.
    Do you rinse the whole head or just around the face/scalp?

I rinse the whole scalp...basically like shampooing but only with water.
  • jamichka
    jamichka Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have very long hair, too (one more inch and it will be knee length - yes, I keep track of it on purpose lol), and I'm another who just rinses with water on sweaty days. With my length, if I were to use shampoo every day - even the waterless kind - my ends would dry up and break off, which is the opposite of what I want. Sometimes I also use conditioner on my ends when I'm just doing a rinse, if I feel like it.

I keep it in a braid while working out, and often I will bun it and wear a headband to minimize the sweat and keep it out of the way.
  • mjshmily
    mjshmily Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you let it dry after a workout a sprinkle of talc in then combed thru absorbs a lot of oil.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem except my hair is really curly and I straighten it. I wash it a couple times a week and try to time my workouts around it, also sometimes I end up just pulling it back on days #2 and #3 but washing my bangs and straightening those out, so at least it looks semi-clean in the front.

I've tried the dry shampoo and one thing I like to do is spray it in my hair at night and sleep on it, seems to help somewhat and doesn't look powdery in the morning.

Having hair sucks sometimes!
  • chezzy26
    chezzy26 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    yeah could just try doing a conditioner only wash too if that helps