How do you curb the hunger?

Options
Since I have been watching my calories I have realized how bad the foods I eat really are. This morning I had 2 pieces of toast with a very thin layer of jelly and a glass of water. I still feel hungry. I cant seem to find a way to curb my appetite do any of you have any suggestions?
Thanks

Replies

• brickhouse76
    Options
    I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM..
    WAITING ON A REPLY.
  • curiositycat
    curiositycat Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi--been there. Still there sometimes. I go for oatmeal in the morning (as little processed as possible) b/c the fiber it pretty filling. Have water with it, too. For both morning and afternoon snack I have a Lundgren's Brown Rice Cake with a glass of water. Again, the fiber plus the water = filling. Experiment with different foods until you find the right satisfaction factor. Your body will adjust, too. Fit exercise in whenever you can as that will curb hunger for a while. Also, I've found that the more I sleep at night, the less hungry I am during the day.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Exercise. The more I exercise the less hungry I feel.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have been dieting properly for about 3 weeks and I must say I have been eating balanced diet and Ive found my hunger pangs have really curbed. I get a little hungry just before my next meal is due. Which was unusual for me. Bare with it.. You'll get better x
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Oh and tea. Endless tea.
  • tambink
    tambink Posts: 349
    Options
    Drink a lot of water that will help alot you wont feel hungry
  • BillieS
    BillieS Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Try adding some protein - egg, peanut butter, slice of ham etc. Breakfast is a time to get in some calories because you have all day to work them off. Curbing the hunger is one of my main problems also, but eating too few a calories leads to bingeing and usually when I binge, it is not on healthy stuff. Strive to get a balance on your plate, protein, fruits and vegetables and good carbs. Anyone else out there have any tips for curbing the hunger in a healthy way? I have to admit I am not having much luck either.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Experiment with breakfasts. I find a bowl of porridge will leave me hungry mid morning and a bowl of bran flakes will take me straight through to lunch.

Snack on low cal stuff until you find the right mix.
  • KyleJCooper
    KyleJCooper Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Try replacing the carbs (bread and jelly are very sugary) with something with a little more fiber or protein. I personally love some carbs in the AM as well, so I either do a slice of bread with a tiny bit of margarine on it (fat helps fill you up, just don't go overboard), and combine that with egg beaters + peppers or a nice big apple. I tried just bread and jelly once upon a time as well, and I was snacking by mid morning. Protein (eggs - preferably egg beaters but regular eggs are not as bad as everyone makes em out to be, chicken breasts, sliced ham, and even low-fat cheese) and fibrous fruits are your friend in the AM, IMHO.
  • catlady100
    Options
    food with a lot of fiber - apples always seem to help. ( I'm trying to think of other high fiber food right now but I'm drawing a blank....)
  • remeha
    remeha Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi there, you DEFINITLEY need to add some protein and maybe a little bit of fat - that meal is all carbs (inc the jam!). Have an egg on one slice of toast, or add some low-fat cheese. If you want sweet, have some oatmeal with added protein, or diet yoghurt on top.

Hope that helps.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Eat.

I mean, seriously.. two slices of toast for breakfast? That's not doing you any good.

How about two eggs, a cup of Orange juice, and a slice of toast? Filling and healthy.
  • ishtar163
    ishtar163 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hunger is tough to beat at the beginning of a diet. It takes a couple weeks to go away, but until then there are a couple things you can do. First off, drinking a ton of water helps a lot more than you'd think. One glass may not be enough. I usually drink about 24-32 ounces before I have breakfast. Also, you really should add some protein and fat to your meal. Simple carbohydrates alone will leave you feeling very hungry VERY quickly. This is because they are absorbed more quickly, and because your blood sugar will spike and crash. Also, the fiber and exercise that everyone is mentioning are excellent helpers. Other than that, you may just end up having periods of hunger for a while. I have it, too.....I have been watching my calories since January and my carbs since March, and I still get overly hungry every time I reduce my calories. It sucks, but worth it in the end. Good luck!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, I am rarely hungry. Choosing the right foods is important toast and a little jelly is not a great breakfast. Oatmeal if the bomb, eggs if you have no cholesterol issues.
    If you are just starting eat what MFP tells you to eat in calories..... I never lose when I eat too little.
  • npostma
    npostma Posts: 33
    Options
    Not sure how long you have been at this but I find by selecting foods of a healthier option therefore I can have more is helpful. Also, add fruit to that selection of toast. Low in cals. Your body AND mind will adjust. You are probably used to eating a lot more than that so your body and mind are naturally going to tell you you ate still hungry. Also, give yourself 20-30 minutes after eating and you will not feel so hungry. That is how long it takes for your body to realize it has been fed!
  • lolainlondon
    lolainlondon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Water, water and more water. Most hunger pangs are usually either thirst or habit. You just have to ignore them and they'll go away eventually.
  • sandyberres
    Options
    I have much better success with fiber or protein as well. I also spread my calories through out the day and have something every 2-2 1/2 hours. No big meals and healthy snacks...apples, bananas, yogurt, cottage cheese. My body loves protein. I love carbs :)