Calories too low? 6'2"man

Options
Maybe I'm just complaining or maybe my willpower is starting too wane, but I feel that my current calorie goal of 1610 is extremely low. I am currently preparing to start week 8 of c25k, and began doing weight training about two Weeks ago. Since I've stayed lifting weights my appetite has exploded. I never had a problem exercising and staffing under my calorie goal before, but now when I stay under I feel lethargic and like i'm going to fall asleep. It's not that I don't have weight left to lose, I'm still over 45lbs to goal.

I guess my question is for other active guys my size, how many calories are you eating, and how much weight do you have to lose? Any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• adrianneboyd
    Options
    My husband is 6' 1" and currently 300 Lbs. (Previously 340) He has 60 left until his goal. He's been doing pretty much the same thing but his calorie goal is 1800.

Hope that helps.
  • andreapoole
    andreapoole Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1610 is extremely low for your size, even if you are trying to lose weight. Are you adding in your exercise every day? Listen to your body.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    How much you looking to shift each week as that seems very low intake?

I am on 1/2lb a week and that gives me 2080 calories I changed it because I was at the same point as you where I was really hungry after working out so I upped it I will go back once I get it under control. So you not alone with it.
  • JHoersten2
    JHoersten2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    6'2
    230.4 lbs
    1590 calories.

I feel fantastic. I don't believe MFP accounts for your extreme workouts, so you may want to factor that into your goals. I have a regular routine, and in-taking 1590 net after eating back the exercise calories has me feeling great.
  • kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm 6' and have my daily goal set at 1700 calories (between 1 and 1.5 lbs per week loss rate). However, one thing to remember is that you need to add the calories you burn from exercise to this total - this is a net number, not a max.

If you are at 1610, I am assuming you have an aggressive goal (around 2 lbs per week?), which is already 1000 calories per day below your maintenance level. If you are burning 500-1000 calories per day on top of that without adding anything back, you will be tired, cranky, and hungry.

If you are not already doing so, I would add back at least half of the calories you are burning through exercise, if not the entire amount. You will feel better, and not be as hungry.

In addition, what you are eating will affect how hungry you feel. If you are getting plenty of fiber and protein (which make you feel fuller longer), the cravings will also be lower. Good luck - and sounds like you are doing better than I am with the exercise.
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    MFP assumes your calorie goal for the day based on NO exercise...if you're exercising fairly hard, you're going to need more fuel, and it sounds like that's what your body is telling you. I'd try and throw in some extra calories, some good carbs and lots of protein! Great job so far, and keep up the great work!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'9" female who works out 6 days a week and I aim for 1610 or more a day. If I don't then I feel terrible and am more prone to falling off the wagon.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I have a few suggestions from looking at your diary. First, you need to consume some fat when you take your multivitamin. Certain vitamins are fat soluble and your body has no way to absorb them if they are digested without fat.

Second, it seems like you are consuming your carbs at lunch and dinner. Keep in mind that glucose is the only fuel your brain can use to generate cellular energy. If you are feeling sluggish, consider a piece of fruit.

If you are feeling true hunger, you definitely need to eat. Just try to make good choices on what you put in!
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    how much do you weigh and whats your excercise look like? and whats your age? those all are factors in calories
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    while weight training, change your goal to 1 lb or .5 lb a week, and raise your protein to 30%. Also, make sure your activity level is set to ACTIVE, because training for C25K and lifting weights is far from sedentary. You should get closer to 2000 by doing that.
    I eat 1800-2000 a day and I'm a 5'2" 110 lb female!
    Do not allow yourself to feel famished. That is counterproductive to your weight lifting, you need fuel to build muscle.
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    6'4" 240 want to get down to 230, calories are 2330 a week set to lose about a pound a week. So far working according to plan. I usually do 3 days cardio and 3 days lifting.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I think that is too low as well.
    Be sure to eat your exercise calories while training.
    Look on other sites and see what they say your calories should be.
    Possibly you have your weight loss goal too aggressive? (2 lbs per week)
    Maybe bump it down to a pound a week and see how that goes?

Trying to toss out advice based on what I see with my 6'3", 250 lbs fiancee.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    6'3
    CW 328
    GW 200
    Calories 2700-2900

walk/jog 3x a week 45-60 mins
    zumba class 1hr once a week
    swim 2x a week
    lift weights 2x a week 1hr.

I use a HRM and I burn 600-900 calories a session.
    I don't always eat all my excercise calories back.

IMO I think you need to bump up the calories with everything you are doing