Corn Syrup - A No No

Options
The debate go back and forth, back and forth, back and forth on if Corn Syrup is really bad for you. Well, in my house it is HORRIBLE. My boyfriend is allergic to processed corn in any form (popped, syrup...you name). He can only have fresh corn.

I have NO idea why I never thought of this before, but while shopping for bread, I started looking more closely at the ingredients. Did you know 95% of ALL the "low calorie" breads have corn syrup. I almost DIED. It was by chance I had chosen a brand that didn't have it (luckily for me).

People, look at your labels on everything, you may be surprised what you will find!!

Replies

• DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Ya, its super-cheap, more versatile then sugar and has a way longer shelf life.
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Corn is in almost everything processed! And in most of the meats at fast food restaurants. It is a cheap filler. I try to avoid as much as possible!
  • wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    i cut corn syrup from my diet completely in January and I feel great.... but surprised at how many things have corn syrup in it... way toooooo many
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Corn is in almost everything processed! And in most of the meats at fast food restaurants. It is a cheap filler. I try to avoid as much as possible!

I know!! Shopping is REALLY difficult! We still to a lot of locally made stuff because they still use sugar in almost everything...I was just surprised....BREAD!!
  • wholefoodgirl
    Options
    My mantra:

If it has HFCS in it, it's processed. If it's processed, it's not food. If it's not food, I shouldn't be eating it.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I used to chug corn syrup right out of the bottle when I was a kid, mmmmmm........
  • awkwwward
    Options
    Yeah, try avoiding dairy - everything from flash frozen bags of corn to basic veggie chips to bread to packaged rice blends has it. UGH! I hate the food processing industry. It's almost like if they CAN stick an allergen in something, they do!
  • awkwwward
    Options
    My mantra:

If it has HFCS in it, it's processed. If it's processed, it's not food. If it's not food, I shouldn't be eating it.

Love your mantra!
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I totally recommend you all watch the documentary "King Corn"...it's on Netflix instant. Very interesting stuff regarding the corn industry.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    If you died does that mean you are a zombie right now?
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I totally recommend you all watch the documentary "King Corn"...it's on Netflix instant. Very interesting stuff regarding the corn industry.

Oh I can't wait to watch this! I was just telling my husband there is a lot of corruption and greed in the corn industry (and many others)!!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    PS:

Pepperidge Farm Thin Slices & Wonder - Smartwheat are two of the brands I found that do not have corn syrup.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    We, too, have cut HFCS out in the last 2 years. I've even been grinding my own flour to make healthy breads that I can trust and afford! When I do buy bread, I look for any kind of corn syrup. (I was recently told that labels don't have to say HFCS anymore, just corn syrup.) Definitely watch "King Corn" if you can. "Food, Inc." is also a must see for those of us watching what we eat.