Nutrition tips wanted

Options
In 4 days I'll be walking 60 miles (22/22/18) over a 3-day period.

Does anyone have suggestions for nutrition up until then? I don't want to GAIN weight going into the walk -- but to have enough energy to get through the day and keep my muscles strong.

Pasta and chicken seem obvious, but that's about all I can think of.

I'm not much of a cook so simplicity is helpful.

Thanks!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would go with beans, brown rice and lots of vegetables, cooked with a little olive oil. You really can't get a much healthier meal than that IMO. Healthy fat, healthy carbs, healthy protein, tons of nutritents and delicious. What more could a person want?
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Eat a balanced diet of protein and carb's, for the couple of days before it, then on the day have a good healthy breakfast of carbs and protein, and as your doing it use protein more.

Carbs can be: Brown Rice, Wholemeal pasta etc etc there good for slower released energy and will keep you going.

Protein will give you rapid release energy but still has to be digested, look at protein shakes and bars for quick fix's.
    Protein shakes are very quickly absorbed as there in liquid form so no/very little digestion is required.

This should avoid a crash in energy level during the event.
  • Southernsister
    Southernsister Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Tofu is full of protein. If cut up in stir fry it is great. Peanut butter in small amounts added to your oatmeal. I vvould be sure to have protein shakes and keep you a protein bar in hand.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I find that chia seeds help a lot with endurance. I mix up a tablespoon of seeds, water, a little sweetener (honey, stevia) and a squirt of lemon or lime juice. Let it sit about 5 minutes and drink it up. (Yes, it's the same kind of things used on the Chia Pet! :-D ) There's lots of good nutrition in chia seeds, too.