my thighs are huge help!!!

Replies

• natashak
    Options
    my thighs are huge help!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Remember, you can't spot reduce. Resistance training will only keep your legs the same size or help them grow larger if you are eating extra calories. The only thing that reduces the size of your body is fat loss, which is a product of your calorie deficit, not exercise.
  • weezie79
    Options
    Elliptical, elliptical, elliptical. Well that's worked for me. Also lots of squats and lunges to lift my bottom up so my thighs look "longer" and more defined (if that makes sense).
  • aubs057
    aubs057 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    exercises can help, just not weight training exercises. Cardio workouts will slim, weights will tone and sometimes bulk. Go running, swimming, biking, or elliptical. Those will slim you down! :smile:
  • The_Crazy_Redhead
    Options
    This is also good information for me as well. I'm looking more into slimming my thigh area as well :smile:
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    This is also good information for me as well. I'm looking more into slimming my thigh area as well :smile:

I hear ya! Me too!!!:drinker:

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I have lost and inch on my right thigh(yep only the right one, only 1/2 in. on left), I have been using the recumbent bike- no resistence though batteries are dead:frown: I am going to $Tree tomorrow to get them.

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Run, Run, Run!!!!!
  • The_Crazy_Redhead
    Options
    Run, Run, Run!!!!!

if only it was nicer outside...not 40 degrees or lower :tongue:
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    emember, you can't spot reduce. Resistance training will only keep your legs the same size or help them grow larger if you are eating extra calories. The only thing that reduces the size of your body is fat loss, which is a product of your calorie deficit, not exercise.
    I disagree...

Too many women are under the impression that if they strength train they will get bulky... nope nope nope. Strength training is going to create more lean muscle mass, which helps burn fat, AND it will speed up your metabolism... another perk is that it increases bone density, which is particularly excellent for women, who lose it faster as we age.

So, don't discount strength training... when combined w/cardio you will get those slim legs (but it could take a while if that happens to be your body's preferred "fat storage" area... but don't give up!)
  • PurdyMommy
    PurdyMommy Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I use WALK AWAY THE POUNDS AND THEY DO GREAT LEG WORKOUTS.
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    im definitely storing in the thunder thighs area.....and i too have been scared of strength training. but i guess im just gonna have to bite the bullet and go for it.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    emember, you can't spot reduce. Resistance training will only keep your legs the same size or help them grow larger if you are eating extra calories. The only thing that reduces the size of your body is fat loss, which is a product of your calorie deficit, not exercise.
    I disagree...

Too many women are under the impression that if they strength train they will get bulky... nope nope nope. Strength training is going to create more lean muscle mass, which helps burn fat, AND it will speed up your metabolism... another perk is that it increases bone density, which is particularly excellent for women, who lose it faster as we age.

So, don't discount strength training... when combined w/cardio you will get those slim legs (but it could take a while if that happens to be your body's preferred "fat storage" area... but don't give up!)

I'm not discouraging it. I ALWAYS advocate it. But I'm honest about it. You can either stay the same size, or grow, from strength training. Creating more muscle mass causes growth...it has to, that's the nature of muscles. They either get stronger and stay the same size, or get stronger and get bigger. No strength training will cause muscular atrophy.

Fat loss is the only thing that makes us smaller. Chronic aerobic exercise can cause some muscle loss due to the release of cortisol, but that takes more than most people here do.
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    I disagree...

I agree with psyknife... Your legs will NOT get bulky from adding some resistance training, nor could they get bulky by biking at a higher level of resistance (that's a cardio activity and the muscle fibers used for that are different than those used for weight training). What you will get is leaner, stronger and you'll burn more calories after a good resistance workout than after just plain cardio! The fastest way to weight loss is a balance of eating right + cardiovascular exercise + resistance training!

Besides that, it takes hours per training session and months of hardcore training to get beefed up, even harder for women because our hormones suppress the ability to develop huge muscles. Do NOT be afraid to add these exercises into your regiment - they will only benefit you!
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I know you don't discourage it... my reply didn't come out right either... as I definitely didn't mean I was disagreeing with the fact that you can't spot reduce :)
    I meant moreso to disagree with the comment that says "weight training won't help," because it can help... my legs have gotten slimmer from strength training and cardio combined (they are still my problem area, but I'm still working on that too) :)
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I disagree...

I agree with psyknife... Your legs will NOT get bulky from adding some resistance training, nor could they get bulky by biking at a higher level of resistance (that's a cardio activity and the muscle fibers used for that are different than those used for weight training). What you will get is leaner, stronger and you'll burn more calories after a good resistance workout than after just plain cardio! The fastest way to weight loss is a balance of eating right + cardiovascular exercise + resistance training!

Besides that, it takes hours per training session and months of hardcore training to get beefed up, even harder for women because our hormones suppress the ability to develop huge muscles. Do NOT be afraid to add these exercises into your regiment - they will only benefit you!

Okay, we're saying the same things, I just wasn't specific enough.

Your legs won't grow in a caloric deficit. You need excess to build with, and you don't have it. But no resistance training will make the muscles in your legs smaller. They'll just stay the same size and the fat around them will be reduced.

If you were in a caloric excess, your muscles could get bigger. Or they could still stay the same size. It depends on how you train.
  • weezie79
    Options
    Well nothing has helped my legs (and physique in general) more than strength training + elliptical. I'm a completely different (very womanly) shape to when I was just doing cardio. I have gone from 10kg squats to 45kg and my legs have just gotten leaner and more defined. They definately have not grown in size. Sometimes I feel a little proud of my bubble-butt at the gym when I see thin but flat-bottomed ladies doing lots of low resistance cardio.... :blushing: :tongue: