Running Shoes for Flat Feet

Options
I want to get my husband some running shoes but he has flat feet. Anyone else have flat feet and run? Any suggestions on what type of shoe to get? Any suggestions at all on the whole running with flat feet thing? Thank you for your input.

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i have heel spurs, so finding good sneakers is tough. he should go to a podiatrist to get checked out.

also, why doesn't he go to a specialized running store, where they see this all the time. they can get custom fitted for a good pair of sneakers.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    We don't have one here. We live in BFE.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    also, why doesn't he go to a specialized running store, where they see this all the time. they can get custom fitted for a good pair of sneakers.

The only correct answer
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    You can't beat going to a proper running store and getting fitted properly for the right running shoes, especially if you have a specific need/problem like flat feet etc. If he has flat feet it is likely he will overpronate while running and that can put stress on the joints, particularly the knees. If cost is an issue you don't have to buy on the day. You could even buy the recommended ones on line. I got fitted for my first pair and loved them so much that I now always buy the same, but now I get them online because they are cheaper.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    We don't have one here. We live in BFE.

Try roadrunnerssports.com They have a "test" you can look at to determine what "type" of foot you have, and then they suggest shoes that match that type of foot. And they have good discounts sometimes.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet and wear orthotics. I love the Mizuno Wave Rider. That's what was recommended to me by a running shop and I've been wearing them for years!
  • MTSUgal08
    Options
    I have very flat feet and love the Vibram Five Fingers shoes or the Merrell Barefoot shoe. They are the ONLY shoes I can run in without get shin splints from hell!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    If you can't get to a running store or a podiatrist then he would need a shoe with motion control. He will need to try them on too because with flat feet he may find some styles uncomfortable.

I find the ASICS GT 2080 (or whatever the latest is) very good for me. They come in a ladies version and a mens version - most running shoes do :)
  • rlf58
    rlf58 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I work for an orthotics co. We usually sell custom inserts to people with that problem. They can be transferred to just about any running shoe. They are pricey ($300) and are not covered by insurance, so we usually recommend to patients who don't want to pay that much a brand of inserts called Lynco. They are about $60 a pair and are almost as good as custom inserts. Maybe you could try that??
  • chicnsweet83
    Options
    Fitness stores that sell running shoes usually offer services to choose the appropriate shoes for your feet. :)
  • Buddhaboy
    Buddhaboy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    There a number of good shoes out there, but for fit, I like New Balance and Asics performance running shoes
    (and New Balance comes in wide sizes)
    BUT, he's going to need support inserts, no real getting around...it is...what it is...
    Without that extra support he'll end up at the doctors complaining about knee or foot pain
    Start with an over the counter insert...if you like them THEN invest in custom inserts
    I find that Foot Locker does a good job fitting runners and they have some
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have very flat feet and love the Vibram Five Fingers shoes or the Merrell Barefoot shoe. They are the ONLY shoes I can run in without get shin splints from hell!

This!

Vibram Five Fingers have been awesome with my flat feet. They are the most comfy shoes I've ever owned.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I will try the inserts with his shoes he has now and see how that works for him. I never realized how fortunate I am to have the feet I do. Flat feet are a pain. Literally.
  • gapers
    gapers Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As everyone has suggested a running shoe store is the best. I too have flat feet and went there to get analyzed. Turns out I can use regular shoes. It's not just about having flat feet. It about pronation and gait. My gait is what causes my pain, not the flatness. I know you said there isn't a store near you, but perhaps when you go on vacation you can find one. The store is Runners World. I have also been to New Balance. They have a machine, though not as comprehensive as Runner's World.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Bump - I've been wondering this too :)
  • missy5277
    missy5277 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet and havent found a running shoe worth mentioning! Right now i am loving the Fila running shoes, they seem to be the best so far. With that being said i cant run for more than a minute at a time and walking just plain kills the bottom of my feet with those shooting pains...grrrr
  • jaygee2772
    Options
    i have the same problem with flat feet and my husband bought me a pair of Adidas running shoes...no pain in my foot since I've been wearing them...got them at footlocker outlet store. Good Luck SN that foot pain is the worst hope he finds relief soon:)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Brooks and New Balance are the 2 brands I like the most for flat feet shoes. I have flat feet. literally no arch and I over pronate. I have researched and found that motion control is the type of shoe you need to help you run with flat feet. I have also tried ASICS, Saucony, and Mizuno. They too make motion control shoes but the ones I found to be the best are Brooks and New Balance.

this is a shoe site that sells shoes but also has helpful videos to help explain different shoe types, gaits and arches.
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/LearningCenter/footwear.html

I started jogging @ 400+ lbs. and having the right shoe for me being the biggest reason I was able to start at such a high weight.