Net Calorie Question

Options
Hi everyone! I know there is a gazillion topics on net calories, how much to eat, etc. and I have read a lot of them, but I need some additional help on the subject if I can get it.

I am 5'5" and currently 133 pounds. My goal weight is set at 130 on here, but eventually I would like to get around 125 pounds. I have been eating around my limit, 1200 calories, ever since I have started; however, I do go over that sometimes. I have noticed on the days that I go over the 1200 calorie limit, I weigh less the next day! Should I take this as a sign that I need to eat more and up my calories? I do not exercise a whole lot, but I do walk anywhere from 5-6 miles about 4-5 times a week at a brisk pace. I am thinking I need to go ahead and increase my calories as I am so close to my goal and maybe start focusing on toning and becoming leaner. (I still have a slight problem area--my abs, or should I say lack of?!)

Do you agree or not? Should I increase my calories and start focusing on building lean muscle now or continue with 1200 to lose the rest of the weight? Thanks in advance! Please take a look at my food diary, too. I could use any pointers that you could give.

Replies

• choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Try increasing slowly. I'd add 100 calories/day for a week and see how you respond.
  • tnic86
    tnic86 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Try increasing slowly. I'd add 100 calories/day for a week and see how you respond.

Thank you! That is what I was thinking about doing. Sounds like a good idea to me :)
  • Luckiestmomever
    Luckiestmomever Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That sounds like good advice. I have heard many people here say that works for them, as well as alternating your calories on different days.
  • tnic86
    Options
    That sounds like good advice. I have heard many people here say that works for them, as well as alternating your calories on different days.

Yes, it does. :) And I've never thought of alternating! That sounds like a good idea, too. Thank you.
  • tnic86
    Options

Yes, it does. :) And I've never thought of alternating! That sounds like a good idea, too. Thank you.
  • tnic86
    Options
    Whoops...I got a little click-happy! Sorry!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You are 8lbs from goal. I'd recommend setting your weekly goal to 0.5lbs per week. The body does not like to give up it's very last fat stores, eating more actually seems to help convince it to do so.
  • tnic86
    Options
    You are 8lbs from goal. I'd recommend setting your weekly goal to 0.5lbs per week. The body does not like to give up it's very last fat stores, eating more actually seems to help convince it to do so.

Thank you, Rachel. I went in earlier and set it to one pound a week and it set the calories at 1320. You do think I would have better results with 1/2? It does make sense to me! The last thing I want to go is get into maintenance phase and gain some back. It seems like it may "shock" my body making a huge jump in cals like that.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    THIS!
  • tnic86
    Options
    THIS!

Thank you! :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Thank you, Rachel. I went in earlier and set it to one pound a week and it set the calories at 1320. You do think I would have better results with 1/2? It does make sense to me! The last thing I want to go is get into maintenance phase and gain some back. It seems like it may "shock" my body making a huge jump in cals like that.

I think that "shocking" your body is a good thing. Try the half pound for 2-3 weeks and see what happens. But I never loss a half pound a week, it would be nothing for 2-4 weeks, then drop 2lbs all at once. Definitely not linear.
  • tnic86
    Options

I think that "shocking" your body is a good thing. Try the half pound for 2-3 weeks and see what happens. But I never loss a half pound a week, it would be nothing for 2-4 weeks, then drop 2lbs all at once. Definitely not linear.

Okay! Will do! Thanks SO MUCH for your help!