Shoes for indoor exercising and climbing?

Options
Hey everyone! I'm thinking about starting to go to a few indoors exercise classes, but it's been years since I've been to one (pretty much since I stopped having PE at school...) so I'm not sure what shoes to wear. I'm into running and I have properly fitted running shoes, but I obviously can't use them (they're wellll grimy) so I was wondering if anyone has any insight to share on the topic. :)

Some of the classes I've been looking at are dance/aerobics type classes, and pilates. (Are you even supposed to wear shoes for pilates?)

And also climbing. I've never done it before (ever!) but there's a weekly beginner's session at the uni gym and I've wanted to try for years. But yeah, do you need any special equipment? (I realise they'll probably have the most necessary stuff so people can borrow it when they start out, but I like being prepared.)

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'd get some cross trainers if you're doing a variety of different indoor exercises. There are special shoes that you can get for climbing if you're really into it, but if you're just starting out it's probably not necessary.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    As far as climbing is concerned, you will want to rent shoes for the first few times you go. If you find that you are pretty interested in climbing (and you should be, IMO!!), you'll need to buy a pair. Climbing without rock shoes (whether rentals or your own gear) is frustrating and unnecessarily difficult.

Your first pair of shoes will probably be the loosest pair of rock shoes you'll ever own, since you won't yet be used to the tight feeling. The ideal pair of rock shoes fits like a sock with no slop in the toes or the sides of the feet. They should be uncomfortable to wear between climbs. A lace-up pair is good to start with as you can easily adjust the fit for a good comfort/precision balance, but many good shoes come with velcro as well. If you get a pair made of synthetic material, buy them as they fit in the store, as the material will not stretch with time. If the shoes are leather, buy them smaller since the leather will eventually stretch out as much as 1/2 size. You should be wearing rock shoes that are 1/2 to 1-1/2 sizes smaller than your street shoes.

For the most part, all climbing is done on your toes. When you begin, tell yourself that the balls and arches of your feet are off-limits. You will probably wear out your first pair of shoes within a year of recreational climbing, if not sooner, since you won't yet have very good footwork. Rock shoes can be resoled for about $50 per pair.

Do not buy a pair of shoes that you can't try on first. Go to a good outdoor equipment store and try on several pairs. Comfort and fit is more important than price. You can expect to pay $60-$150 per pair.

Good luck and have a great time!!!!