How do you tone & strengthen?

Options
I just got into spinning a few weeks ago, but that is basically just fun cardio. I don't know how to lift weights correctly or use the weights/resistance machines at the gym and I don't have the $ to pay a personal trainer to show me.

I was thinking of trying yoga for toning, but what else can I do?

Replies

• RKA625
    RKA625 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just got into spinning a few weeks ago, but that is basically just fun cardio. I don't know how to lift weights correctly or use the weights/resistance machines at the gym and I don't have the $ to pay a personal trainer to show me.

I was thinking of trying yoga for toning, but what else can I do?
  • shayk80
    shayk80 Posts: 56
    Options
    pilates... I got my DVD at Walmart in the fitness isle. and it came with resistance bands and everything. I think it is working for strength and toning.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    This site is amazing at showing you what you can do using free weights at the gym: http://www.exrx.net/

go to the beginners page and build yourself a workout routine based on upper, lower, and mid body :) try to do it three times a week or every other day
  • RKA625
    Options
    Thanks, I'll check out that link.

I work at a gym (I'm ashamed to admit I've not used my free membership much until last week) so I can take classes for free and there is a pliates class there. I wonder if I should look into it.
  • DelTonious_Max
    Options
    This is the advice I've been given and seems to be working so far for me. If you want to strengthen and tone, use light weights doing several reps. Say 20-25/ 3 sets. If you want to build muscle as in bulking up, go with heavier weights and fewer reps, 8-15/ 3 sets. (This should leave you quite sore the following day as muscle is torn down) Either way, you'll want to up your intake of protein as this builds/rebuilds the muscles that are being worked. I started using the machines and after 6 weeks or so I felt like I was getting weaker and not able to do as much. I now drink a protein shake either 30 mins before work outs or right when I get home and I have seen results. I like the EAS 100% whey 23g shakes. The soy was good too but heard the whey is better. Protein bars, whatever you prefer. There's also a 56g protein mix but that is for those who are really getting after it, body building and such.

I have also been advised to not get into a routine (as in doing the same thing in the same order every time) but to mix it up. Keep the body guessing what you are going to do next.

The machines are easy and have diagrams that show you how to work them. And the machines are muscle area isolated so it's hard to do something wrong on them (form wise). Set the seat height and weight amount and go. Since you work at the gym, I bet after you've used the machines a few weeks you could ask the guys (trainers) to just show you pointers or some new moves that you are not doing already. I would think they would be glad to help you out.

Don't be intimidated. Some are actually fun to use. Best of results to you. :drinker:
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Do you have trainers at your gym. Make friends with one and explain your financial situation, maybe they will give you a free session on your off time or at least talk to you about what you might want to do for your needs.

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • eulila
    eulila Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have body pump classes? That's what I do and I love it.

You can also get a weight lifting book. Joyce Vedral had a good one.
  • RKA625
    Options
    No body pump classes, but there are quite a few others.

I don't really ever see the trainers, as I work in the gym's daycare room. We're kind of off on our own in there and don't get to talk to people much outside of that area. If I ever do see them on the floor, they are working with a client, so I can't interrupt.

I guess I'll just give the machines in the womens only area a go. I have tried to use them before, and they do have the diagrams, but I'm still usually afraid I'm using them wrong.