Exercise with a cold?!!! Who knew!!!

Options
I've been fighting off a cold for the past few days. I have gone through 5 boxes of tissues since Friday. Yesterday, I didn't feel 100% but decided to push through it and get in a work out. To my surprise, once I started I began to feel much better which made me want to work harder and harder. At the end of my routine, I realized I didn't have to stop once to blow my nose nor was I coughing. I also noticed that I was no longer stuffed up and could actually breathe through both nostrils. About an hour after my routine the stuffy nose came back. It was weird. The only thing I can think of is maybe because I was working hard and sweating, all that extra fluid in my head/nose left my body? Just wondering if anyone had this happen to them? Or have any thoughts on it.

Replies

• Advocate777
    Options
    My thought would be that working out releases adrenaline which might be like getting a steroid shot, clears up nasal passages and whatnot. Just a guess ;) I'll let my wife know though, she's been fighting a cold for a little bit now.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I have heard people say that before. I will keep it in mind since winter is coming and I will surely get one or two colds. I always feel so tired when I am sick, that it seems like I couldn't possibly do any exercise. But then again, whenever I feel tired or "dragging" (when I'm not sick) a little exercise makes me feel way better. I think you do have to take it easy and not do a crazy workout when you're sick.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Actually I have the same thing happen relatively routinely. I first noticed it swimming way back when I was in college. I assumed it was somehow related to the chlorine but have subsequently noticed it with other types of exercise. I think it has something to do with adrenaline but also probably because of the changes in blood flow with exercise- more going to your muscles etc.
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My thought would be that working out releases adrenaline which might be like getting a steroid shot, clears up nasal passages and whatnot. Just a guess ;) I'll let my wife know though, she's been fighting a cold for a little bit now.

^^ This is correct - adrenaline released during exercise will temporarily clear up your head cold. Adrenaline (epinephrine) and noradrenaline (norepinephrine) will also boost your mood and general sense of well being...just keep it within reason. If you feel very tired or achy or feel the need to take a rest day, then DO IT - that's your body saying you need more rest to recover from whatever virus is making you sick. You should also consider upping your calories just a bit when you're sick. You want to make sure that your body has the nutrients it needs to fight off illness (better to eat more and beat a cold in a week than to push yourself too hard and take 3 weeks to fight that same cold).
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses everyone. My husband thought it had something to do with adrenaline too. It was amazing how much better I felt! It was also really nice being able to breathe too! It was amazing how better I felt during my routine and after.

@ elstein - I know this is off topic but I absolutely love your tattoo!!!!
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    @ elstein - I know this is off topic but I absolutely love your tattoo!!!!

Thanks! I got it in Tahiti on my honeymoon (a few years ago).
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Kinda related... Yesterday I did hot yoga while sick, and today I woke up 2 lbs lighter. :laugh: So I'd say that the sick/exercise combo does work! Hehe.