1200 cal a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• hazedot
    hazedot Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am personally struggling with a diet of only 1200 calories a day. I have an obsessive personality and I wanted to lose weight fast. I'm suffering for it now.
    I started at 244lbs and I'm now floating around about 214-218 as I've put my body into starvation mode. I never meant to but everytime I would finish the day I would want that number to be lower and lower and I pushed harder and harder. Although I'm still losing weight it's all muscle and I soon had a wake up call.
    I play lots of sport, cycle, run and exercise quite a lot and for me 1200 was far too low. I've now been advised to make sure I definitely eat my calorie allowance every single day and also eat back all of my exercise calories. This does mean that I am sometimes eating over 3,500 calories a day but in the long run I'd rather lose 2lbs a week than waste away my body.
    I've learned the hard way, please don't fall into the same trap I did. I wouldn't wish this upon anyone. I've had to stop doing a lot of exercise until I've regained control of my body and restored my metabolism.
    Of course this is just my experience and not everyone works the same way, but be aware it can happen to even those with the best of intentions.
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Stargazer, were you satisfied with 1200/day, or were you constantly hungry?

I prefer to have mine at 1200, and eat my exercise calories as needed. :happy:
  • FifiLea
    FifiLea Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would go with as many calories as you can while still losing weight. I don't know about you, but I *hate* being hungry and if I am, I just give up and eat everything in sight!

In my opinion, it doesn't matter if it takes a bit longer to lose the weight, so long as it comes off in the end. :happy:
  • Kksd605
    Kksd605 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am on the Ideal Protein diet and only eat around 1000 - 1200 per day. But it is very high in proteins. You don't get as hungry when you eat more protein than carbs.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I would go with as many calories as you can while still losing weight. I don't know about you, but I *hate* being hungry and if I am, I just give up and eat everything in sight!

In my opinion, it doesn't matter if it takes a bit longer to lose the weight, so long as it comes off in the end. :happy:

This is me exactly.