Is this exercise bad for me?

i recently purchased an airdyne in order to help with calorie loss and some formation of muscle. Since the purchase (about 2 weeks) i have used it everyday. I do high intensity training (without a heart monitor though). I started at about 2 minutes low 15 seconds high and have progressed to about 45-60 seconds low and 20-30 high. I usually burn between 250-350 calories per session (20-25 minutes) i do this once per day and have on 3 occasions done it twice. Although i have been slowly shifting the HIT numbers as my endurance improves i still am pretty consistent with my workouts in terms of length, though according to the computer on the equipment my calories burned keeps going up. Is it bad to do this everyday? As in will i start burning less calories as i do this every day? I havent had any soreness in muscles or experienced any noticeable negative side effects in that regard im just wondering if this is good that i do it this way or not? Any ideas?

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Your body will get used to anything if you just keep on doing the same thing - so no - it is not bad for you, but you will most probably get to a point where you dont get all the benefits any longer - I would suggest that you mix it up with some strength / body weight training, or cycling / swimming etc....
  • mangledspoon
    mangledspoon Posts: 31 Member
    I have no idea what an "airdyne" is, but if you're not feeling bad or feeling any bad effects, why would the exercise be bad for you??
  • Melatonin
    Melatonin Posts: 156 Member
    It's a good idea to mix this up a little bit. Keep at this "Airdyne" (I have no idea what it is either but will google when through) but maybe add in some strength training as well. Strength training is what helps build and maintain muscles for fat burning. So this is a must.
    Either way keep up the good work!
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Airdyne as in exercise bike? Go for it. Yes, you'll burn less cals as you get fitter, just up the intensity abit to compensate. Mix up the hard/easy seqences you do, maybe sometimes go for a walk as well to use some other/extra muscles. Ex bikes are fantastic for health and fitness. Weight loss is 80% food intake, 20% exercise so take care with what you eat.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    I would suggest getting a heart rate monitor. It's been my experience that the calories burned on exercise equipment is usually higher than what my heart rate monitor says when I compare the two. If you plan to continue exercise then it's a good investment and can be highly motivational. I keep trying to burn a higher amount of calorie with each workout. I get mad if I burn less and usually increase my workout time just to get up to where it was the last time I did that workout.