Thinking about going vegan

2»

Replies

• jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Ignorant question: what is the difference between a vegan and a vegetarian?
  • Beckym1205
    Beckym1205 Posts: 217 Member

A vegan does not eat meat or other animal by-products. (No meat, no eggs, no dairy, no butter... etc.)
    A vegitarian does not eat meat but consumes (at least some) animal by-products. I am a vegitarian, I use real butter, I bake with milk and eggs, I eat some eggs and will use milk in my coffee.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Cheers for veganomicon and appetite for reduction. Good cookbooks full of good food. I eat meat but eat out of those all the time.postpunk kitchen is good

101cookbooks.com is always vegetarian sometimes vegan and sometimes gluten free. Sometimes ridiculously sugared too though.

For ground beef substitute take some old school tofu the kind floating in water with a see through topped container. Freeze the whole thing. Defrost and drain it and it crumbles like ground beef. Throw it in with lots of seasonings wherever you do ground beef.
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member

A vegan does not eat meat or other animal by-products. (No meat, no eggs, no dairy, no butter... etc.)
    A vegitarian does not eat meat but consumes (at least some) animal by-products. I am a vegitarian, I use real butter, I bake with milk and eggs, I eat some eggs and will use milk in my coffee.

A vegan also doesn't USE products made with animals products. Animal oils in toiletries, leather, wool... etc.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    I think most vegans consider it a lifestyle... as in; they do not intentionally consume or use any product that has harmed or used animals in it's production. I eat a plant based diet. I buy meat/butter and milk for my husband, I give my dogs canned food and I drink wine that I don't know is vegan or not (I'm going to assume it's not) and I don't check everything I buy to ensure it has no animal products, although if given a choice of two products of identical quality would choose the one that does not use animal products.
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    I'm vegan and I eat honey (rarely) , but my vegan son does not. I also dont check my wine/beer, and maybe i should. I try not to buy leather (or suede or fur) goods, but I have wool sweaters. My diet is100% vegan and I do consider myself vegan.
    I've been vegetarian for 25 years and tried going vegan a few times and let me tell you, in the 80s it was very limiting! Now there are so many options. It is a good time to be vegan!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    One tip I can provide (so as not to be a mooch - lol).

My daughter is a vegetarian, and we really love Smart Ground. It is a veggie based ground meat substitute that I find in the specialty area of the produce department. For most recipes it stands in pretty well for ground beef..

Good luck.
    thank you I will have to look that up. <3

I am sending you a PM.