Migraines-

Options
I am taking prophylactic daily medication for headaches/migraines. Saturday, I had a horrific migraine that made me nearly hysterical.

Then tonight I am getting that same sharp pounding pain beginning to come back. I have already drugged myself to fall asleep, but shortly before it began on Saturday I had eaten a frozen pizza for lunch and tonight I had eaten Ramen Noodles- (weird craving, I know.) I used half of the packet of seasoning because I know the sodium is horrible, but.... could that have something to do with it?

Does anyone else have suspicions of processed or high sodium foods causing them migraines? I am terrified to feel that way again. I don't have insurance and can't afford a trip to the ED. I realize this may just be desperate reaching, but... I'm desperate.

Replies

• Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My step mom can't eat soy because it gives her migraines. It is highly possible its a food intolerance of some sort.
  • jjbraid
    jjbraid Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wholly Cow! Yes, yes, and yes!! Lower your salt intake. Just a side note...that is why when going out for Chinese..you say NO MSG. they are prone to cause headaches.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    could very well be a trigger.....and I am sure that frozen pizza was loaded with sodium. Since I have started watching my sodium and limiting my processed foods, my headaches have been cut back to 1-2 a month whereas before I was having them 3-5 days a week.
    Something you might try to eliminate and see if it helps!
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Wholly Cow! Yes, yes, and yes!! Lower your salt intake. Just a side note...that is why when going out for Chinese..you say NO MSG. they are prone to cause headaches.

^^ This

The seasoning packets usually have msg. I can't go anywhere near it.
  • beautybiz
    beautybiz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It is possible that the sodium content of those foods triggered the migraine. It has happened to me. You have to either avoid them or really flush your system.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! High sodium = high blood pressure = headaches/lightheadedness. Lower your sodium intake and cut back on the processed foods. Ramen is LOADED with sodium.
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Something in pizza triggers mine. I can have it once in a while, but I discovered I can't have it two days in a row or it's a definate migraine for me. I hope you figure your's out, they are awful!
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yeah MSG triggers my migrains too! I found that out the hard way after my step mom pointed it out to me, that everytime I ate something high in MSG I ended up with a horrible migraine! Sucks but you have to be super careful what you eat!! It makes a huge difference! :frown:
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I have very strong suspicions that gluten gives me migraines. Gluten, like too much salt, causes inflamation/bloating. If gluten can make everything in my abdominal cavity all inflamed, why can't it make something in my brain inflame?

So yes, very likely that sodium and/or msg causes your migraines.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I noticed both of the foods you mentioned have wheat in them - could be you have celiac disease or a wheat allergy. You might want to get allergy tested. I get migraines when I'm around someone wearing perfume or using Lysol or who use Downy in their wash - to name a few. The point is, any kind of allergy, be it food or environmental, can trigger migraines. Get to the source of them so you don't have to spend the rest of your life on meds. Good luck!
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    It could be possible. Migraines are really hard to control once you get one. I was at the ED twice within 4 days in August and had gotten some precription medication that has been a savior to me since I have taken them once I felt one coming on. I take Sumatripin. Migraines are a result of an increase in intracranial pressure and the cause is unknown. I get mine when I take long car rides or have had an extremely stressful day. I suppose the sodium could be a cause for higher blood pressure that may lead to a migraine, but unfortunately right now there is not enough research as to the main cause. As you will notice a lot of people that respond to this thread will have a lot of different things that trigger one specifically to a migraine for them, so it's hard to say exactly universally what causes them. A lot of patients have found that by going in and getting a few holes drilled into the skull(I know gross) have had tremendous relief but who has money to pay for brain surgery?
  • Bretonmka
    Options
    YES! I'm sensitive to sodium, and certain seasonings.
  • ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Options
    i get migraine headaches from stress and from PMS!! not sure if this is what is going on for you, but i thought i would mention that
  • irishseven
    irishseven Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    msg is in every thing ..soups..my husband can't have alcohol, msg, chocolate..3 main triggers and some yeast products, pappa johns pizza too..try maxalt med,s..they work great!! good luck.
  • KijuanaC
    KijuanaC Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been a migraine sufferer practically all my life and it is definitely key to find what your triggers are. Triggers can be something simple like chocolate or something more complex like hormonal changes or medications you're currently taking. It took 18 years for them to determine my primary trigger. I've noticed some additional over the past 12 years that I keep a watch for. Keep a log and a diary. Dietary needs or defiiciencies definitely have a significant role in your headaches.
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My most consistent migraine triggers:

sleep disruption
    sodium
    msg
    any soda (diet or regular)
    overexposure to certain perfumes and scents

I have been relatively migraine-free since I eliminated all sodas from my diet and started watching my sodium intake.
    Before that I was pretty consistently experiencing 1 or 2 lie-on-floor-blind-and-vomiting migraines per week. (yeah, TMI)
  • MeredithRN
    MeredithRN Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! High sodium = high blood pressure = headaches/lightheadedness. Lower your sodium intake and cut back on the processed foods. Ramen is LOADED with sodium.

As a nurse I knew that, but this is new for me! I thought my head was going to explode.

Perhaps all this healthier eating (as opposed to eating all of this crap on a regular basis) showed my body it deserved better... and its finally putting its foot down??

Thanks for all of your guys' responses and support. Couldn't do anything without MFP peeps!
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Yes, it is a definite possibility. Foods that can trigger migraines are PIZZA, aged cheese, alcohol, FOOD ADDITIVES, peanuts and peanut butter, chips, aspartame, caffeine, cultured dairy, bouillon, organ meats, smoked or dried fish, baked yeast breads, bananas, citrus fruits, kiwi, pineapple to name a few.

Keep a migraine diary and log everything you ate before getting your headache. Soon you should see a pattern if your headaches are food related. Lie down in a dark room and have your husband put hot, hot, hot soaking wet washcloths on your head over and over for about 30 minutes (and ice pack behind your neck). This used to work very well to EASE some of the pain for my mother, who was a life-long sufferer of migraines.

I hope you feel better soon!
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    High sodium and anything with chemical preservatives (not just MSG) can put me down for multidays with an over the top migraine. Your triggers may be different, but both items you described are common triggers.

Read qualified sources. Learn food and activity triggers - and do your best to avoid them. My triggers changed over the years, but in addition to food items, they included dehydration, irregular sleep paterns, extreme exertion, air pressure changes and hormonal changes.

Other advice - in the early pre-onset of a migraine, sometimes for me, brisk walking would make the headache go away. Once one hits. Get in a dark room and have a supply of icepacks ready for the back of your neck and/or temple, stay as immobile as possible. Fighting one that has hit makes it worse and longer.

Good luck.