Need motivation to exercise and eat right

Options
I was doing great till I went on a vacation and came back. I can not seem to get back into exercising or eating right or anything. I know I am eating more due to stress of job and also my dad is not doing well. He has cancer and he is getting sicker and sicker.. The only time I can exercise is in the morning but I can not seem to get up early enough. I even joined some of the challenge groups but haven,t been able to meet the challenge. I keep telling tomorrow I will start but that tomorrow is not coming.. I am at a loss and need friends to motivate me to get going.. I don,t want to gain back what I lost as it is so hard to lose wt but easy to gain..

How can I motivate myself? All ideas are welcome.

Thank u in advance
Nina

Replies

• Brittshae
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel!! Your situation is identical to mine! I am trying to get back on track now and it is soooo hard!! I already hate to exercise, so this is like starting all over again!!
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Nina, it took me about a week after I came back from vacation to get back into the swing of things. However it sounds like you have a lot on your plate at the moment that is causing you a lot of stress. It sounds like your stress is preventing you from getting back on track. I am so sorry to hear about your father. I wish I had a simple answer for you but unfortunately I don't. All I can do is offer you friendship. Feel free to add me and I will do my best to try to motivate you and give you any support that I can. I am on here every day. (((hugs)))
  • howellco
    Options
    I feel ya! When I am in a rut like this, which I kind of am in right now I try to commit to 20 minutes of working out even if it's walking- that's aprox. 100 calories. Typically once I get out there and am walking, I will add in a little jog which only helps the calorie count. Also I will tell myself to start this workout video and do it for 15 minutes and typically I can squeeze 20 out of my less motivated self. By doing those two things alone each day I will burn 500 calories. The DVD's I am working out to are dance and cardio DVD's. But I would try to find some that you are really interested in and grow your collection. They never get old and when they do it's easy to let them rest for awhile and purchase some new DVD's to rotate through!
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Well, take a breath!!!

Okay...This is a job. You can't do a job so-so, or you'll get fired. You just have to get back into the swing of things. Your motivation is probably tired from vacation and needs some rest.

You'll get there! Really, it happens to everybody!!!
  • hollbell1410
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your father! I lost my dad to cancer last year. I've been where you are and it blows big time.
    Maybe you can use your father's illness as your motivation? Get fit and healthy for him. Or maybe a photo of yourself can be that motivation? Try looking around and finding that one thing that makes you say "I want to be fit and healthy!".
    I know it's hard to find the motivation to work out in the morning at o-dark-stupid or at any other time. I could talk myself out of working out for any reason. But we gotta give ourselves that kick in the butt and do it! I don't know about you, but I always feel a billion times better after a workout. As far as eating right, I believe there is nothing you can't have. Just have it in moderation.
    Hope this helps! I'm also here if you want to talk about you dad.
  • livebelieving
    Options
    I know what you mean, but you really need to put yourself first for a while and then you will be on track. I know this sounds selfish, but it is not. If you do not look after yourself, you cannot be there 100% for others. So I challenge you to join me on my personal challenge.

I am at day 16 of mine, and I was feeling the same as you in the beginning. Make tomorrow your day one.

Get up and do 20 minutes of walking. Just do it. Count your calories just to see how off track you really are, this will motivate you to be more 'on track'. i have given up alcohol until 31 October as well. Join my health challenge until 31 October... you have 21 days left, 3 weeks can mean a dress size!!! And it will make you feel so much more in control.

Are you with me???
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I lost my mum to cancer a couple of months ago. I ate whatEVER I wanted as she was dying as anything that could make me feel a bit better was worth doing. I did also walk every day 'cos I love fresh air and found it soothing to be on the beach etc.

Have a wee look at some online resources about the effects of stress and grief - it does affect you physically in a whole lot of possible ways as well as emotionally and spiritually. I felt incredibly tired and slept a lot just after Mum died.

I wondered how I'd do with MFP while I'm still grieving, but I'm finding it helpful to have something that I am taking control of.

My heart goes out to you - I pray that you find the right balance for you during this very difficult time. Good luck on your journey!
  • Nlakshmi
    Options
    I know what you mean, but you really need to put yourself first for a while and then you will be on track. I know this sounds selfish, but it is not. If you do not look after yourself, you cannot be there 100% for others. So I challenge you to join me on my personal challenge.

I am at day 16 of mine, and I was feeling the same as you in the beginning. Make tomorrow your day one.

Get up and do 20 minutes of walking. Just do it. Count your calories just to see how off track you really are, this will motivate you to be more 'on track'. i have given up alcohol until 31 October as well. Join my health challenge until 31 October... you have 21 days left, 3 weeks can mean a dress size!!! And it will make you feel so much more in control.

Are you with me???

YES I think i can do that..livebelieving.. I like your screenname..
  • Nlakshmi
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas and motivational tips.. please keep it coming and check up on me abt exercise and diet..

today i did go for a walk on the beach for 30 min and it felt great. ..start eh...

I need to get back on tracking what I eat.... I will start that today....

Hope I will keep it up..