what would you consider Zumba?

Options
I just went to a Zumba class, and i'm not quite sure what to catagorize that into here on the site. the closest i could think was maybe bellydancing? cuz its certainly not linedancing.. hahah idk, any ideas?

Replies

• bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    www.zumbacalories.com
  • Moneicalynn
    Moneicalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I was also wondering the same thing bc I do Zumba but not sure what to put it as....lol
  • AEcklar813
    AEcklar813 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Go to www.zumbacalories.com

Put in your weight, time spent doing zumba, and if it was easy, moderate, or hard. It'll estime cals burned. Then just add it in yourself for your diary.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Not really into those Fad exercise programs. If it works for you, by all means. But I prefer doing other strenuous and fun exercise activities.
  • fngrnayls
    Options
    awesome! thanks guys!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I wear my BodyBugg, and it burns 500 calories in an hour. And while Zumba may be a "fad" program, it's a real workout.
  • fngrnayls
    Options
    Not really into those Fad exercise programs. If it works for you, by all means. But I prefer doing other strenuous and fun exercise activities.

i actually felt the same way at first, but its real fun! it might not burn a whole lot, but it keeps you moving much more than sitting around, which is what i'd be doing otherwise! hahaha
  • Moneicalynn
    Options
    Thanx :)
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options

then you have clearly not participated in a zumba class. a real one. wearing a heart rate monitor, I burn over 600 calories an hour doing zumba. Fad? it's been around for years.

re: the zumba calorie counter, it WAY over estimates your calories. take off at least a third of what they estimate.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options

Dancing has been around for thousands of years, not really a fad exercise.
  • 2Bgoddess
    Options

i actually felt the same way at first, but its real fun! it might not burn a whole lot, but it keeps you moving much more than sitting around, which is what i'd be doing otherwise! hahaha

are you doing the zumba gold? (milder workout)
    an advanced class with a little less latin dance and a bit more hip-hop will have you tearing it up.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I wear my BodyBugg, and it burns 500 calories in an hour. And while Zumba may be a "fad" program, it's a real workout.

I have a Body Media Fit armband & I burn anywhere from 375-475/hour during Zumba. I found Zumbacalories.com to be way off. Your best bet is to get an armband or at least a good HRM.
  • Moneicalynn
    Options
    While some might not think it is a good workout.... I feel it is for me bc it gets me up and moving and I am having fun while doing it and i sweat a lot while doing my ZUMBA workout...and thats wat im looking for :)
  • chollingshed74
    chollingshed74 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    if Zumba is a "fad" its the best one i've ever participated in!! lol.....i love it...it wears me out!! whew!...i was logging it under "aerobic dancing" but then i saw someone post the Zumba website where you can calculate the calories burned so try that :)
  • Olena76
    Options
    I read a forum where people were comparing their HRM readings. I record 600 cal for a regular Zumba class (1 hour) and 800 for Zumba Toning (with 2 lb weights)
  • val205
    val205 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    has anyone ever tried the zumba wii game?
  • Moneicalynn
    Options
    I have I have the wii Zumba :) & I have a set of Zumba dvds i bought off of the tv...... I find them as a great workout :)
  • 2Bgoddess
    Options
    I have the wii zumba too. it is fun, but going to a class is so much more. our instructor lowers the lights and brings out the disco ball, and we dance to a lot of current stuff by Jay Z, katy perry, pink....right now the hottest one going is "Moves Like Jagger"!
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

LOL wow, seriously? Was there a point to anything you just said?

I use the Zumba calories website, since I don't have a HRM, and even if I'm working out to the point where I feel like I'm gonna drop at any second and feeling some serious burn, I record it as the "light" version, just to be safe.