Um... I don't get the calorie counter! Can someone explain?

Options
okay here is my question if i eat right and stay under my calorie limit by like 90 calories and I excersise and burn off 300 calories that would leave me with 390 calories remaining. Am I suppose to eat those calories back so my body doesnt go into starvation mode or is it okay if I don't eat the earned calories.

I want to lose weight in a healthy way, but i dont want to eat back the calories I worked my butt off losing.

Can someone clarify this for me I seem to be a bit confused!

Thanks everyone, I havent been here long, but you all are very supportive!

Replies

• millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Please go to the posts at the top of this forum section that are marked with the red push pin icon. In those you'll find the explanation to how this all works - especially the Newbies posts and the Links you want to read again and again.

Good luck!
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Play with it, see how it goes not eating them, try eating half of them and try eating them all... See what works best for YOU, everyone is different.

I only have mine on occasion.
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    It's a personal decision. Some say eat all of them. Some say don't. Do what works for YOU. Are you starving? Eat some or all.

Do you feel satisfied and have energy? Don't eat them.

Eat them all on Tuesday, eat half on Friday, and none on Saturday. It's up to you, and how you respond and feel.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Here you go - this explains how MFP works......

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics
  • EmilyStopFlying
    EmilyStopFlying Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just depends on what works for you as to whether or not to eat your exercise calories. Personally I don't, but there are people who do.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It's a personal decision. Some say eat all of them. Some say don't. Do what works for YOU. Are you starving? Eat some or all.

Do you feel satisfied and have energy? Don't eat them.

Eat them all on Tuesday, eat half on Friday, and none on Saturday. It's up to you, and how you respond and feel.

Perfect!
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    Listen to your body. I don't eat all of my exercise calories back, but I do eat some/alot of them back.
    You can keep you body from going into "starvation mode" by eating small frequent meals(5-7 per day)
    Having said that, the science that supports eating back exercise cals. is good, so think about following it.
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You will find arguments for both sides here on MFP. I personally don't eat them back unless it's better than 400 calories. Then I will try and eat 1/2 back. Like others have said try out both and see what works for you.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    There is lots of good info in those links - which explains that MFP has already worked out a calorie deficit when it caluclates you daily allowance so if you are logging your food and exercise reasonable accurately (bear in mind they are always estimates) then you can definitley eat those calories back.
    Don't look at it as a waste of time - the exercise is making your body stronger and fitter and leaner and happier, and the food is the fuel you need to be able to exercise. Why would you shortchange yourself?
  • fganssle
    fganssle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I went to weight watchers they explained that if you cut back too much your body would refuse to lose weight - I confess that I don't know how that works. But I do know that you can be under for a couple of days, saving calories, and use some of them as extra calories some days and still lose weight. The idea is to stay stable so that your system becomes accustomed to eating less.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Play with it, see how it goes not eating them, try eating half of them and try eating them all... See what works best for YOU, everyone is different.

I only have mine on occasion.
    Agreed...we are all different..I don't eat mine back either and have had great success
    GOOD LUCK to you!!!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    SHOULD I EAT MY EXERCISE CALORIES? . COM

shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

Review links on bottom of second page for some great explanations.

blessings.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    okay here is my question if i eat right and stay under my calorie limit by like 90 calories and I excersise and burn off 300 calories that would leave me with 390 calories remaining. Am I suppose to eat those calories back so my body doesnt go into starvation mode or is it okay if I don't eat the earned calories.

I want to lose weight in a healthy way, but i dont want to eat back the calories I worked my butt off losing.

Can someone clarify this for me I seem to be a bit confused!

Thanks everyone, I havent been here long, but you all are very supportive!

You don't necessarily have to consume your exercise calories. But by doing so, you are just replenishing your body with the nutrients that were lost during an exercise. Also if your already on a calorie deficit, say your maintenance is 2000, but ate only 1500, then burned 300 from exercise. That leaves you with 1200 calories that are being absorbed into your body. So eating back those 300 calories burned, will bring you back to 1500. Regardless you are still under your maintenance calories. And you won't be causing any harm, your only adding more progress to your weight loss.
  • leachan79
    leachan79 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When i first started also i got a little bit confuse by this. However, MFP members explained to me that we can eat back the calories we burned. (Because the recommended calories have not taken into consideration of the calories burned from exercises)

However, i don't eat all the calories back because these calories counters are just an estimation. So to be on the safe side, I would eat back only half of the extra calories burned. On top of that, i read that we shd eat some proteins and carbs after a good workout to help our muscles to recover. I'm sure u'll be alright as long u eat sensibly and below the 'red' line. :)
  • thebeadinggoddess
    Options
    wow thanks everyone, I will check the links some of you left. I did eat back some of my calories today. I had a few candy orange slices to reward myself for the extensive workout I did today, but I was thinking if I did that would I still lose the most weight possible or would I just recieve the minimum. So thank you so much everyone. I think I will eat back a little less than half of those calories just so I dont go to far under or go to far over and see how that works!

You guys are awesome!!!!! :)