To cut out bread and pasta or not???

Options
I was on this site last year and i completly cut out bread and pasta as well as sugar and junk food..should i do this again or not???

Replies

• kitteerae
    Options
    I was on this site last year and i completly cut out bread and pasta as well as sugar and junk food..should i do this again or not???
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I think it depends on what kind of bread and pasta, if it's whole wheat/grain, you need that fiber. A special treat once in a while never hurts. I find that if I cut it and cut it, I just crave it more because it's the 'forbiden fruit'.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to cut out all breads and pastas. don't cut them just switch to whole grains. I LOVE my grains and I have lost 55 lbs. Any diet that involves cutting out whole food groups is not a good idea.
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I would say if you have calories left over eat it...if not, then don't! Don't deprive yourself from it!
  • faylou
    faylou Posts: 89
    Options
    The more you cut the more you crave, eat whole grains and watch your calories... if you have room for it in your daily cal count , dont deprive yourself, it just is not fun or a lifestyle change if you cannot put them into your daily routine.
    I may be wrong but just in my opinion.
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I limit my pasta and bread only because of the high caloric intake. If you're going to eat it, just make sure you go for whole grain on anything because it will be more filling for you.
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    Why would you want to cut out all breads and pastas. don't cut them just switch to whole grains. I LOVE my grains and I have lost 55 lbs. Any diet that involves cutting out whole food groups is not a good idea.

My thoughts EXACTLY!
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    The more you cut the more you crave, eat whole grains and watch your calories... if you have room for it in your daily cal count , dont deprive yourself, it just is not fun or a lifestyle change if you cannot put them into your daily routine.
    I may be wrong but just in my opinion.

I agree- the more you deprive yourself, the more you want...I could never cut it out- I eat whole wheat/double fiber bread and whole wheat pasta- also discovered Ronsoni Smart pasta- no enriched flour- so I think its better.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    don't cut out the bread and pasta... switch to whole grain breads and whole wheat pasta. Try brown rice.

refined sugar can go too, but you can get good sugar in the fruits you eat.

as to the junk... cut that!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that since you've done this before and you're thinking of doing it again, it wasn't entirely successfully. I'm guessing that you lost the weight but gained it back when you started eating those things again.

The old saying goes that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

If it didn't work before, it won't again.

Consider instead taking a more moderate approach. Cut back on the junk food and whenever possible make whole grain choices for the pasta and breads. Whatever you do, it should be something that you can live with forever.

Good luck,
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

100% agreed! When I was on a strict budget whole grain pasta was a staple for me, and I still was losing. Same with breads, though I bake my own bread. The big thing is watching you stick with proper portions, and making sure that you get whole grains.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I say cut out junk food.... and cut back on the sugar, bread and pasta - but not out completely.