I should already know this....

Options
But why should you only weigh yourself onces a week? What's the harm in doing it every couple of days? I should know this because I'm not new to the weightloss journey, but I don't and can't make myself wait. Its kind of like Christmas for me?

Replies

• lcoreo5
    lcoreo5 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    your weight fluctuates so much during the week. you could cause your self to stress out if you see that you went up a pound overnight, or if you weigh and see you lost a pound, then gained it back the next day. i think its really to keep us from freaking out more about that damn number than we already do.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I just deal with the 10 lbs range. I only log the lowest
  • thesmellofapples
    thesmellofapples Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i was just thinking this like 2 minutes ago. i really want to look but i already know i'll only stress out. i want to check right now but i gotta force myself to wait until the right day. the number will be more exciting then anyway. :]
  • GymRatRaceRunner
    GymRatRaceRunner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning.

If I weigh in heavy, I don't bother checking any more during the day and just chalk it up to having a heavy day. No worries. After some more digestion, the weight will drop back down. I just keep eating right and doing my daily workout routines and don't worry about the weight.

If I weigh in low, close to breaking my previous low weight, I will check a few times during the day, especially after my workouts, to see if I broke my low. And then I log it.

But I don't get stressed out if my weight goes up for a day or two. I already know it will come back down.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of people, I weigh myself daily but only log it once a week on the same day of the week.

I find that weighing daily is manageable with the following mindset:
    * if I lost - good, must keep working on it
    * if I gained - resolve to do better today and get back on top of it

This risk is if you lose and think you deserve a treat or if you gain and get discouraged/give up/turn to food out for solace.
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning - but, warning, sometimes your weight will go up. I only log it if it drops below what it was the last time I weighed in - I made a deal with myself that if it didn't go down within 2 weeks that I would then log that I had gained weight - so far this hasn't had to happen.
  • ralopez420
    ralopez420 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, I know they say only once a week, but I find it easier to stay on track when I weigh myself daily. It holds me accountable for how I ate the day before. I'm more conscious of what i'm eating (knowing I will weigh myself in the morning) rather than eating and hoping I will burn it off before I weigh myself at the end of the week. At the same time, I do not stress over a pound or 2 because most likely it is water weight. good luck!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Here is a blog I wrote about weighing daily.....

If you can handle the ups and downs, and not get despondent and turn to food (emotional eating) when things are not going the way you are expecting then it is OK, but if you get easily discouraged it is better to weigh once a week...... BUT that one day you weigh could also be one of the up days.....

There is no rhyme or reason - and the best is not to get to hung up on the scale (took me a year to actually figure this out )

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Elleinnz/view/weighing-daily-don-t-believe-the-scale-135325
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input! I have been weighing myself every couple of days and it seems to be more encouragement than waiting for an entire week.