Red numbers

Options
Does anyone else hate how the site does the green/red numbers? It makes me feel this compulsion to stay in the green numbers and red is a big flashing "bad" sign. My calorie allowance is 1200. Today I had 1258. No big deal...58 calories isn't going to kill me. I hate that my numbers are red now though and that my weekly summary has the first day of the week going into the red!

Replies

• MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    But doesn't that help to motivate you?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    You will be most effective by staying within 100 calories of an appropriate daily calorie goal -- either green or red.

1200 is pretty low, though, I don't know how (or why) you do it, unless you are a very small person.

blessings.
  • lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    if your calorie intake is 1200 for a day going over a little bit is fine, considering 1200 is difficult to do everyday and really i dont feel anyone should only eat 1200 i know its the least amount you can eat but i think 1400 is more do able!
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    1200 is the number MFP gave me...I didn't set it myself or anything. I really had over 1400 but I burned 200 something so I ended up with 1258 "net".
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I completely agree, the red drives me nuts and i'm also at 1200. Today I went over a few and I find it very depressing but i'm not going to stress about a little red.
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I know for a fact that the numbers here a very, very general and not specific to your BMR (BODY METABOLIC RATE). I found out that I was burning 1000+ more calories every day. Weight yourself weekly. If you are at a 1lb loss then your calorie count is right on. If you loose 1.5lbs then you could of eaten 1750 calories that week. 2lbs is 3500 cals you could of eaten.

Know your true BMR.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I know for a fact that the numbers here a very, very general and not specific to your BMR (BODY METABOLIC RATE). I found out that I was burning 1000+ more calories every day. Weight yourself weekly. If you are at a 1lb loss then your calorie count is right on. If you loose 1.5lbs then you could of eaten 1750 calories that week. 2lbs is 3500 cals you could of eaten.

Know your true BMR.

BMR =/= Body metabolic rate and the most often used BMR formulas aren't off by 1000+ cals. maybe your maintenance calculation was though
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    TBH I don't even notice the colours. My targets are set so that I should be "red" for fat and protein everyday. Works for me.