Weight Loss

Options
EDesq
EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
NO ONE can say for sure or even within reason how much weight they can/will ACTUALLY lose over a period of time, there are too many variables, just too many. So why do "WE" set these Weight Goals that inevitably disappoint us and cause us to lose our motivation. Instead why don't "we" just devise a Plan and make the GOAL to follow it.

For all those people out there that are just starting a Healthy Eating Plan and need to lose weight, or those coming back again, again or yet again...May I suggest to you the way to stay motivated and encouraged in your Eating change is to NOT set Goals around the scales, weigh yourself very little - maybe once every 2 months, and make SURE that you follow your Eating Plan, like it is your new found religion...learn everything you can and choose what makes SENSE to YOU and REMEMBER: 90% of weight loss is "What You Eat!"

Don't make this stuff too technical and spread your focus, divided Focus is a sure way to blow your Eating Plan and lose Motivation...KISS>>>Keep It Simple Sweetie!

Replies

• smassengill63
    smassengill63 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great advise.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I love this idea. Too bad I'm not disciplined enough to do it this way. I may or may not get to the 117 pound loss that I targeted in the beginning, but it gives me something to shoot for. I'll allow that once I'm within range of it there may be some reassessment but for now, I know it's a healthy weight for my height and healthy is what I am after.

I'm a data junkie. I work with data at work and having data and feedback associated with this site is a huge motivator for me. I weigh myself daily, but I can honestly say that I'm not obsessed with the number itself as much as where it fits into the picture of how I'm doing. I also take my blood pressure in the morning and often again in the evening, because that is one of the signs of getting healthier that I use to assess how I'm doing. The doctor advised me to track it daily, and it gives me a clear picture of how I'm doing in that regard as well. Armed with those numbers, I can see the impact of cutting sodium, and again the impact of monitoring my dietary potassium as well. I can see the correlation, and it keeps me on track.

So if having a goal works for me, weighing daily keeps me motivated and non-scale victories are at least as important to me as what the scale says. So, I guess the point of all this rambling is - figure out what works for YOU and do THAT.