Toning Arms

Options
One of the areas I struggle with the most is the tops of my arms! I've been doing bicep curls and tricep extensions every day (3 sets of 20 reps with 1kg weights) but is this going to be enough to start losing the flab from the under my arms??

Any suggestions/tips of anything else I can do is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    push-ups!!!
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    push-ups!!!

No...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You probably need to get heavier weights, as the general rule is that you should be able to do 8-12 reps each set... if you can do 20 without too much trouble then you arent really working the muscle enough.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    push-ups!!!

No...

If not, then what?
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Me too on needing additional arm toning. Thanks for posting your question. :flowerforyou:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'd say if you can do 3 sets of 20 easily then you are at too light a weight.
    Ty upping the weight. Anything you can do for more than 15 reps is pointless IMO - maybe try 3 sets of 15, or 12 or 10 but whatever you choose the last 2-3 reps have to be a real stuggle or you're not going to make any decent change :)
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    One of the areas I struggle with the most is the tops of my arms! I've been doing bicep curls and tricep extensions every day (3 sets of 20 reps with 1kg weights) but is this going to be enough to start losing the flab from the under my arms??

Any suggestions/tips of anything else I can do is greatly appreciated!

Bicep Curl (Barbell)
    - 4 sets (12, 8, 6, 4...reps)
    - Increase weight with every set with the last set being the heaviest...
    - Do this twice a week on non consecutive days

Triceps dips (Builds mass like a mofo)
    - 3 sets (12 reps)
    - There is different variations, go check youtube and select the one appropriate for you.
    - Do this twice a week on non consecutive days

Nutrition
    - Ensure your protein intake is optimal, you won't add mass if you aren't consuming enough protein
  • emma_f500
    emma_f500 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think the problem may be that you are doing these exercises every day. You don't build muscle when you are actually doing the exercise, muscles are built when your body is at rest. Your arms/body would be more effectively toned if you gave yourself a day of rest inbetween weight training.

Push ups and pull ups/chin ups are a more complete way to build arm muscles as they don't just target one muscle group the way bicep curls or tricep extensions do. They also tend to work more muscle groups at once and not just in the arms.
  • amyloola
    amyloola Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Chair dips are good for the triceps, I find them pretty hard so they must be working lol,
    have a look on YouTube I found heaps of exercises for toning arms on there
  • ButterflyJourney
    ButterflyJourney Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Agreed!
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Definately tricep dips. they work wonders!