Does running make you fat?

Options
An interesting article in today's Independent newspaper (also repeated in the i newspaper). "Does running make you fat?" http://ind.pn/pAayMZ

Replies

• chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    That's funny! Ummm.... no running will make you slim. They say that it is one of the best exercises to making someone lose weight faster.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Well - that was written by an idiot.

Obviously eating more than you burn makes you put on weight -just like eating less makes you loose it. Running helps tip the balance towards burning more than you eat - unless you're stupid!
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Yes! If you run to Dunkin Doughnuts, you run to McD's, you run to the Ice Cream Truck!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Next article they're going to come up with : "Does breathing make you fat?"
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Nice post ... has a brief read as I think really it all depends on what you put into your body .. you need to balance out the running with healthy food .:)
  • obwize
    obwize Posts: 102
    Options
    If you start ANY exercise and use it as an excuse to eat a ton more than before, you will gain weight. It has nothing to do with the exercise and everything to do with eating too much and not having self control.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Does breathing make you fat?

yes - if you breathe in lead.

Of course, then you will die of lead poisoning and decompose, which will, in the long run lead to weight loss.

Not recommended as a healthy weight loss plan.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i didnt even bother reading it...

running doesnt make u fat, eating more calories that you burn off makes u fat...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Another article written under the logic: "I'm a dumbass--therefore 'conventional wisdom' must be wrong".

I think the same thing every time I read something written by Karen Cosgrove.
  • Umeboshi
    Options
    Does breathing make you fat?

yes - if you breathe in lead.

Of course, then you will die of lead poisoning and decompose, which will, in the long run lead to weight loss.

Not recommended as a healthy weight loss plan.

The real question is, how well does the lead diet work with HCG?
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Dumbest...article...ever.
  • Danahimself
    Danahimself Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Another article written under the logic: "I'm a dumbass--therefore 'conventional wisdom' must be wrong".

I think the same thing every time I read something written by Karen Cosgrove.

lol
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Typical journalistic spin to make you read - It's not the running - just the fact they're stuffing their cake 'oles with a lotta cake because they think they've "earned" extra and of the bad stuff!
  • fnenu
    fnenu Posts: 3
    Options
    I always find titles like the newspaper put ridiculous. It's not the running that makes you gain weight, it's the behaviour of "I did something good so I can do something naughty" and the lack of self-discipline.

As for gaining muscle and it being heavier, great! That's _healthy_ weight. Just shows how obsessed we are with numbers on a scale rather than actually looking at being healthy as our priority.

I really do have a big issue with everything being about weight and appearance when it should be about health and fat percentage. Eating a burger and cakes? Sure, sometimes, but as a treat, and not a regular extra because you've been to the gym. That's just being silly.
  • jagoochie
    jagoochie Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    the comments underneath made me giggle
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I had been maintaining my weight loss for a couple years when I started running, and I gained 15 pounds in three months. It seems to be making ME fat.

On the other hand, I have a friend who started running and isn't doing anything else (including watching calories) and has lost 40 pounds. I guess I'm a freak of nature. :-(
  • Umeboshi
    Options
    400 calories burned but then "the minimum possible calorie intake would cancel out those she used up running."
    Okay then, obviously the writer has never looked at the calorie information for a McDonalds cheeseburger. 300 calories. So no, it doesn't cancel out those running calories yet.

And if she has a "cheeseburger with fries on the side", "The result being that she consumed far more calories than if she hadn't gone running."
    She CONSUMED more, but if she gets a McD cheeseburger (300kcal) and a small fry (230kcal) , then she probably still netted less than what she would have consumed for lunch normally unless her typical lunch is 130 calories or less.

The people who write these articles need to learn to use logic and basic math.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    running hasn't made me slim in any case... I think from when I started in March 09 to November 09 I lost maybe 20lbs. Since then nothing and I was running pretty hard throughout 2010 up until about 4 months ago.
  • Dander
    Dander Posts: 26
    Options
    The title is an exaggeration. The article is not suggesting running makes you fat. It's pointing out the mistakes people make during and following exercise which can hinder their progress...it's also the experience of one person who didn't lose weight from running and the research mentioned provides some explanation for this. Obviously you should take from it everyone loses/gains weight differently.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm 100lbs overweight because I'm an avid runner.