should I use calories burned on MFP or on bike I'm using

Options
I was just wondering what I should do...I just finished 20 mins on a stationary bike and the calories burned is much lower than what it shows on MFP when I enter it in....Which one should I go by?

Replies

• adrianneboyd
    adrianneboyd Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I always go by the lower amount...then you get a bigger surprize on the scale later!
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Does the bike know how much you weigh?
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If the bike knows your weight, age and heart rate, I'd go with the bike. Otherwise I usually go by about 50% what MFP says for biking as I think the biking amount is screwy as it's way more than the treadmill amount and at least on the treadmill you're on your feet, supporting your weight - so it really doesn't make sense to me, so I futz around with it.
  • Steve_FromThe_Rock
    Steve_FromThe_Rock Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Does the bike know how much you weigh?

no it doesn't know my weight
  • amberwebb79
    amberwebb79 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I always use the lower amount. MFP gives me a lower number on running, but the treadmill takes my age, weight, and I wear a heart monitor, so it's around 220calories for 2 miles, instead of the 170 MFP will show me.

Overestimate on food calories, underestimate on exercise calories and so far the scale is cooperating with me.
  • Steve_FromThe_Rock
    Steve_FromThe_Rock Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The bike says about 129 calories and MFP says 190 calories....just thought I'd add that as well...lol
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    if you go in the middle than you should be ok!
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I'd futz the amount until it said 150 maybe - well okay not really - I'd just take the lower one.
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I always go with the lower amount, the machines are always lower and ask my age, I do this with runkeeper too, it's always lower, if I burn mire than MFP says, it will be great at the end of the week when I weigh in.
  • nettleboo
    nettleboo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    hello i use a wii game to work out which give's me the cals i burnt at the end so what i did was added my own exercise and i just alter the time and cals burnt every day basically what ever numbers the screen says at the end i add those on here so maybe rather than use the mfp add your own and enter the data the bike says?