When should I expect a plateau?

Options
cprys8942
cprys8942 Posts: 123 Member
So I am very happy to say that for the first time in I don't even know how long, I am under 160 lbs. I've lost about 15 lbs since August and I couldn't be happier! Now I'm just wondering, is there a time that I should expect a plateau? I've been losing weight pretty regularly and I'm wondering if anyone has advice!

Replies

• Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different, but I think it takes longer the closer you are to your goal. Good luck and congratulations with the 15 pounds! :) Also you can change your settings to less weight loss per week the closer you are and that might help if you would plateau.
  • nettleboo
    nettleboo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    hello there i plateau quite soon after starting my diet i lost 8 pounds in one week that was my first week then took about another three weeks to lose any thing so i think it depends really on the person since my plateau ive lost well over 23lbs, and at present im losing between one and three lbs a week some weeks more than others i exercise most days.
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I hit my plateau about half way through the weight I wanted to lose. I changed the number of calories I was consuming and added resistance in my workouts. That pushed me right on along again. =)

Congrats on the 15 lb lost! Also, take your body measurements. Where you don't lose pounds, you may lose inches.
  • tomasart
    tomasart Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    So I am very happy to say that for the first time in I don't even know how long, I am under 160 lbs. I've lost about 15 lbs since August and I couldn't be happier! Now I'm just wondering, is there a time that I should expect a plateau? I've been losing weight pretty regularly and I'm wondering if anyone has advice!
    Whoo Hoo! Celebrating that 15 lbs. with You! I don't know where that plateau is..yet. I hope You find it at the exact weight You are striving for. :flowerforyou: Congrats
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I had 30 pounds to lose total and plateaued at the half way point. However, I plateaued because I wasn't eating enough. I am 5'7" and was eating 1200 calories/day and dropped 15 pounds. I then got stuck for TWO MONTHS (grrr...) where I bounced from 159-162 until I realized I wasn't eating enough (thank you, MFP peeps for helping me realize that). I slowly kept raising my calories and didn't start losing again until I set MFP to lose 0.5 lbs/week.

So what have I learned?

1. Aggressive weight loss (e.g. setting MFP to lose 1-2 pounds a week) doesn't work when you don't have that much to lose. Slow and steady really does work no matter how fast you want to drop those pounds.

2. Don't be afraid of eating more. As long as you are running a calorie deficit, that is eating UNDER your maintenance level, you will not and can not gain weight.

3. Don't be afraid to spike your calories once in a while. I don't do cheat days or even cheat meals, but I don't sweat it if once in a while I go over by a few hundred calories. In fact, usually when I do this it results in more weight loss, go figure.

4. Don't compare yourself to others. Some people never plateau, some people lose weight quickly all the way until their goal, and others take forever to get to goal. Also, some people do better with low carbs, some do better with the "everything in moderation" plan, and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

5. Measure, measure, measure. I lost practically zero pounds in the month of September but went down one pants size. My weight may not have shifted but my body is getting leaner. Don't live and die by the scale, especially if you exercise!
  • chuluotababe
    Options
    Over the summer, Fitness magazine featured a story on Jillian Michaels. JM said that if you hit a plateau to increase your calories by 10% and get some extra rest. I'm keeping this magazine as a reminder but with only 12 lbs left to go I'm hoping I don't plateau out. Good luck!
  • cprys8942
    cprys8942 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone that's really great advice!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!