Water

Options
Hi all

Any-time ive been on a diet I never bother to drink any water, always diet soft drinks. I hate the taste of water on its own so im wondering does it still count if i add a dash of some sugar free dilute juice or is this defeating the purpose?

I really hate drinking water unless its flavoured but im thinking id rather buy sugar free dilute juice, extra strength flavour and add a tiny dash so that im just giving the water a hint of flavour.

Any advice on this?? I know your meant to try and drink about 8 glasses a day or whatever but im struggling at 1.

Replies

• lottywood
    lottywood Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You can try hot or cold water with a slice of lemon in it. That is lovely and only 2 calories. :)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    For the purposes of hydration, yes, it will still "count". so will tea/coffee/soda/juice/fruit/veg etc.

Your body needs on average 8 cups of fluid. It doesn't have to be pure water.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I buy fresh lemons and limes and use them in every glass of water I drink. I also buy the little squeeze bottles of lemon and lime juice, and will use those if I am out of fresh fruit.

IMO, juices do NOT count toward your water goal.
  • kheavin0928
    kheavin0928 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I know diet pop doesn't have calories, but it's still not going to benefit you like water will. If you absolutely can't stand it, I would stick with flavored water because then at least you are getting those nutrients and you are hydrating your body. Pop is more likely to dehydrate you. Maybe even add a little bit of lemon juice to your water. I was never a huge water-lover, but I kind of forced myself to start drinking more and I drink it all the time. Hope this is helpful!
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    IMO, juices do NOT count toward your water goal.

That's your opinion. :)

Biologically speaking though, they do. :)
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Pop is more likely to dehydrate you.

Completely false.
  • justimmy22
    justimmy22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly like you and what I do is I eat something really grainy like a honey and oat bar and it makes me really thirtsy and then I just force myself to get water instead of juice and I found that once I start drinking it, I kinda just continue. Hope that helps
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    With the exception of alcohol which takes a fair amount of water to process your body really couldnt care less about the bit of flavouring, its still mostly water and it should be counted as such.
  • SaintOnEarth
    Options
    The solution to your question is "Mio".. can be found in any walmart or other store like it. It is a no calorie additive that adds amazing flavor to your drinks! I mean it tastes amazing.. anyone who I have ever suggested it to has always loved it. Try it out and let me know what you think.. comes in many different flavors.
  • mhig011975
    Options

Completely false.

1st answer was true.
    2nd answer is false.

soda will dehyrate you.
  • Laurandy0912
    Laurandy0912 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just watch the caffeinated beverages because they are a natural diuretic and defeat the purpose of keeping fluids in your body and not getting dehydrated?
  • lolainlondon
    lolainlondon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It will benefit you in exactly the same way as water in terms of hydration (considering at least 4 cups worth of water comes from food sources anyway), but it has drawbacks that water doesn't have, particularly if the diet soda in question is diet coke. The caffeine in diet coke has a diuretic effect (which can dehydrate you) which means that overall, it isn't as hydrating. Same goes for coffee or tea. However other drinks such as diet sprite etc don't have that same problem. What they do have are artificial sweeteners, and there are some who contend that these can hinder weight loss by confusing the body into anticipating a sugar high that never arrives.
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options

That's your opinion. :)

Biologically speaking though, they do. :)

Agreed.

If you put juice in your water, does it change it from being water, if you put a tea bag in water, does it stop it being water?

I give up.
  • jermyZ
    jermyZ Posts: 27
    Options
    Maybe give this a shot:

http://www.kraftbrands.com/mio/

I've tasted it before, its pretty good. How sweet the water will be is determined by how much you put in.
  • Kushgetti
    Kushgetti Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm with u...I hate water as well but I look @ it as very vital 2 the body...so 4 me it's a mind thing... I drink 3 quarts of water a day...every so often diet sprite.....my vice back in the day was dr. Pepper...ohhh how I miss u....I don't even do diet because the diet version is so nasty that it will tempt me 2 get the regular...I don't even add flavor 2 it. Just work up 2 it
  • HMonsterX
    Options

Completely false.

1st answer was true.
    2nd answer is false.

soda will dehyrate you.

Evidence for this?

It's been proven that even the diuretic effect of coffee/soda is far outweighed by the amount of fluid in it, and the more coffee you drink the better your body gets at extracting the fluid.

Why do people continue to think coffee/soda will dehydrate you? Think about it! Im sure most of us know someone who drinks nothing BUT coffee/soda, and are they dying of dehydration? Of course not.

http://www.divinecaroline.com/22178/46361-coffee-makes-dehydrated-say-what
  • feevis2011
    Options
    thanks for the super speedy responses, ive tried hot water with lemon and thought it was awful,

So i guess im left with sugar free flavoured water, sometimes i feel flavoured water makes me thirstier when i drink it, no reason why but ill try and add something to my water in small amounts which is sugar free.

I love orange and apple juice but the amount of sugars in those things are unbelievable so now i dont have them. I like green tea with lemon and drink that but other than that i dont drink coffee or normal tea .

I was kinda under the impression it would be ok to have the dilute juice as it was 2 calories per 100ml of juice and 0.1 g of carb per 100 its 0 value for everything else. Ive also saw shapers water that is flavoured and meant to have vitamins etc anybody tried this?
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Caffeine does dehydrate you. I have taken plenty of nutrition classes to know. However juice has water so there for it will hydrate as will some foods. You don't just get water from water-haha. Again-nutrition classes.

This being said I have cut out all liquids before in my diet and just gone to water. It has to be ice cold for me, I LOVE me some ice cold water. My body was able to let go of a lot of weight by doing this. It is just clean-I do like water a lot though. I would try to get in some water.

If you drink diluted sugar free juice drinks it won't kill you and your body will also get hydrated, but try and do like 2 glasses of water a day and maybe you could move up from there.
  • feevis2011
    Options

Completely false.

1st answer was true.
    2nd answer is false.

soda will dehyrate you.

Evidence for this?

It's been proven that even the diuretic effect of coffee/soda is far outweighed by the amount of fluid in it, and the more coffee you drink the better your body gets at extracting the fluid.

Why do people continue to think coffee/soda will dehydrate you? Think about it! Im sure most of us know someone who drinks nothing BUT coffee/soda, and are they dying of dehydration? Of course not.

http://www.divinecaroline.com/22178/46361-coffee-makes-dehydrated-say-what

good link
  • rogerm213
    rogerm213 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Using Soda/pop to hydrate is not a very good idea. The caffiene in some will dehydrate you. Stick with flavored water if it helps but stay away from soda.