Working out alone

Options

Replies

• Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    When I do workout, I like working out alone because I don't like people talking to me when I workout. That's my time to focus on what I'm doing and think about where I want to be, with someone next to me jabbing their jaws it takes away from my think & focus time.
  • Alice230
    Options
    I always have to workout alone and it doesn't bother me. I just motivate myself. I say things someone else would. Something like keep going,you can do it or just a few more minutes. You know how to motivate yourself better then anyone else because you know what you need to hear.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I powerlifted for 15 years and my brother was my partner and would say things like what if someone broke in your house or what if they attacked your family , come get angry, get your adrenaline going. Over the years this quit working, I would laugh at him and say thats not realistic. Once I got to a certain level it quit working for me, now that I've started over I need that help. Everyone is different I guess. I've seen guys slap each other in the face to get the adrenaline going. My bro would just give me scenarios.
  • Lifting_chick
    Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    O.K. here is something to think about next time your working out. Your daughter has a boyfriend that is bigger than you......what you gonna do if he is a jerk to her???
  • Fabulous1nsideout
    Options
    O.K. here is something to think about next time your working out. Your daughter has a boyfriend that is bigger than you......what you gonna do if he is a jerk to her???

HAHA LOVE THAT!!!!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Why not invite a friend over to lift with you? Surely you have a relative, friend, neighbor, co-worker, etc. who is interested in strength training but can't join a gym for whatever reason.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Working on that now...thanks
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I rely on my iPod and I secretely compete with the other people around me in the gym,

LOL...me too!!!!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I like group workouts. Love Jazzercise etc. Zumba looks fun, though I haven't tried it.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I end up working out alone even at the gym. Because of my PL background, I'm hard pressed to find anyone that even knows what a deadlift is much less workout with me.

Would like to have a spotter on the bench though. I have to sit there and look around for one sometimes.

I'm at the local Y. It's more family oriented so..............

I end up pacing around to pysch myself up. I'm sure I look like a retard sometimes. But hey I need to do what I need to do.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I always workout alone. Just something that you need to build up towards. Make yourself go, and eventually there comes a time when you feel you NEED to go work out.
  • Legalchica
    Options
    I totally agree. I can do the cardio on my own (hate running on my own though). But found that when I had someone to lift with I did a lot better... I'm trying again, but I really wish I had someone to go with me... espeically if HE knew what he was doing :happy:

SOOOO much easier if I just have to show up and do what I'm told! :blushing:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    One of my friends was telling me that what helped her was to post it on Facebook, etc. Then people ask her all the time how her workout is going, and she doesn't want to let them down or feel "stupid" by saying that she quit, so it pushes her to keep going.

If you have a smartphone, check out the appropriate App store..I think there are some different workout apps that may well let you do this sharing with a button push.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I most often work out alone, but every saturday I lift with a friend of mine who is as enthusiastic as I am to build muscle. We feed off eachother, which I think is awesome.

Since I started doing that I've definitely missed working out with someone else on my other days! I need a spotter, darn it! Somehow I can always manage one more set with someone else- even when they are totally tapped out and it's just me fighting for it. So, yeah, it sucks to work out alone but you are lifting for yourself, so you don't even need someone else, right? :)
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I always had coached growing up... Then I gained 50 lbs and my motivation was gone... Now I motivate myself and I prefer to workout alone.. It can be hard but I just think about how I can do it all on my own... To me: I should be my number one motivator
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I find this especially true for weights. On the treadmill, i can zone out and watch tv, and I love biking, but I am struggling to make my bowflex a habit.
  • Gspice3
    Gspice3 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I just have to do it.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    When I first started going to my gym, I had a (former) co-worker who has become a longtime friend who went religiously every morning and she helped motivate me. Then she stopped coming for years, and last week told me she's thinking about coming back in the mornings again (she's put on a LOT of weight and has knee problems that will limit what she can do now).

I got to thinking about it, and as much as I'd like to see my friend more frequently again, I'm a little worried if she does, she might hold me back with some of her limitations. I've come to realize that I push myself harder when I'm alone with my iPod (or just chatting occasionally with the other 'regulars'), than I did when I was joined at the hip with a friend and doing the same routine she did.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I work out alone each time, I would like to work out with a partner. I like the qutieness though. When I work out hardly anyone is up at the morning times I go to the gym.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    You get used to it. I've been doing it alone since HS. I find when I workout with a partner we are taking and putting on plates everytime we take turns lifting.That gets annoying when it's at every exercise we do.