Multi vitamins and minerals

Options
I'd be interested in other people's views on taking multi vitamin and mineral supplements. I know that a balanced diet should give us a daily needs and MFP logging can help to track this. However, not all products list the vitamin and mineral content, so it makes tracking a little tricky. What do think about having a good multi vit and min tablet, just to cover all bases?

Replies

• JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've been taking vitamins for at least the past 20 years...they give your body what is needed when you don't get it in foods. I believe vitamins can only help!!!
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    It is a good idea to take multis. Most of us don't get sufficient amount of mircronutrients in the foods that we eat.
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    i think its needed. I take Zeal, it is an all inclusive nutrirional supplement, that is muti vitamin and mineral along with antioxidents and other nutritional supp all it one.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I take a multi- vitamin every once in a while, but I don't believe it's all that necessary if you eat fruit and vegetables everyday.

However, I take fiber and glucosamine supplements religiously, only because I know I don't get enough of those two things in my diet.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    There was a study that I heard reported on the radio today, that said vitamins are a net negative on health. I'm sure you can Google it, as it is just being reported on. The only "supplement" should contains hops, and barley.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    There was a study that I heard reported on the radio today, that said vitamins are a net negative on health. I'm sure you can Google it, as it is just being reported on. The only "supplement" should contains hops, and barley.

So that study says vitamins are bad for you, go drink more beer! :o
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    When the doc put me on 1200 cal it was one of the stipulations to take a multiviatin/mineral supplement every day. My blood work is checked every 3 months and everythings great.
    My health is important to me and I will be taking my Centrum for life ;)
  • ashreneeknutson
    Options
    My doctor told me that taking multivitamins is a must but to make sure that when you buy one, the percentage on the label should say 100% all the way down because too much vitamin can potentially be harmful to you.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options

Obviously you didn't take the three seconds to Google it and read it. Vitamins are a $20 billion annual waste of money. There is more proof that beer is better for you than vitamins. Just the facts.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Obviously you didn't take the three seconds to Google it and read it. Vitamins are a $20 billion annual waste of money. There is more proof that beer is better for you than vitamins. Just the facts.

You are right. Most of the multis sold are essentially garbage. Inferior ingredients are used and they are full of toxic heavy metals. There are some good products out there, but some effort is required by making sure it is tested and reading the labels to make sure the ingredients the ingredients are of good quality.
  • littlemount
    Options
    Yesterday I read in yahoo news that there was a study which stated that people taking multivitamins caused early death in older women.The only supplement needed was calcium according to that report . I am not sure if it is a reputed statistically significant study but it was in the news yesterday. It stated that it is better to get the nutrients from food sources than a pill.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    My doctor ran a blood test and I was extremely deficient in B12 (even though I am a meat eater). After taking a multi plus a B12 supplement daily for 3 months I retested with normal numbers. If vitamins are garbage, then why did they bring my dangerously low vitamin levels up?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in other people's views on taking multi vitamin and mineral supplements. I know that a balanced diet should give us a daily needs and MFP logging can help to track this. However, not all products list the vitamin and mineral content, so it makes tracking a little tricky. What do think about having a good multi vit and min tablet, just to cover all bases?

After 2 years of using multivitamins, my cardiologist took me off of them. He said a lot of them have added chemicals that can interfere with medication you take by prescription including my heart pills. Make sure you talk to you doctor if you are on any medication before you start on a multivitamin.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    It stated that it is better to get the nutrients from food sources than a pill.

It needed a study to tell us this? Surely we already knew that.

Pills are great for those of us that don't get enough in our normal diet. Hence why its a called a "Supplement", to supplement our daily intake, not replace it completely.