My calves are the worst!!

Options
2»

Replies

• elemstuck
    Options
    Biking is actually a great exercise when it is really hot like that because you have the wind of the ride to keep you constantly cooled down. A lot of the time I barely get sweaty because with the wind it just evaporates off of me. However, once I stop riding I am usually drenched in no time when it is hot like that.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I've never seen another person, no matter their weight and size, that have bigger calves than me except perhaps body builders. My weight has been 105 - 160 my adult life; women twice my weight have smaller calves, always.

*waves* Now you've met me. I got compliments on my calves when I was thin but yeah, even then it was tough buying boots. I don't have much in the way of advice but I feel your pain.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't really know anything about it but I didn't want to read and not post as I find that quite rude.

:huh: .....you do know she wouldn't know you read it if you didn't post, right?

Sorry OP, I have no clue how to fix it.

Well, she would see 15 people read it and didn't post which was the case earlier.
  • mlindahl
    mlindahl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Okay, so what is the average size of calves for someone that is 5 feet 1 and 1/2 inches. Yes, I am hanging onto the 1/2 inch as long as I can.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I have big calves too!

Although I have just learnt to accept them in all their rugby player-like glory
  • crazydv
    crazydv Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Ok...so count me in for way too large calves...they are hereditary...yes Lace up boots are about the only boots I can wear...and...forget about skinny jeans..lol

Although I'm not thrilled with my calves, they are mostly muscle now and i wish I could say the same for my stomach!
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    How big is big anyway?

I think we should measure the circumference and post!

Standing up, no tensing on the widest part

Me: 14.5 inches
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I always have to agree with my mother. She used to say "There's nothing wrong with my legs. They go from my *kitten* all the way to the floor." Fix what you can fix. Appreciate what you have. :)
  • mlindahl
    Options
    Yeah, my calves are 14 inches, my ankles 9 and thighs 20.
    So, I have always thought I have big legs.

So, MFP group, is that big?
  • heather62bro
    Options
    Yeah, my calves are 14 inches, my ankles 9 and thighs 20.
    So, I have always thought I have big legs.

So, MFP group, is that big?
    I don't think that's big, probably average. Mine are 14 also
  • heather62bro
    Options
    Mine measure 14 and I think they are small
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Well I also hate that a lot of jeans and pants won't fit me correctly either. Also of course if my pants fit perfect everywhere else, they don't fit in the calves or hardly go over them. I have to wear pants that are too big everywhere else usually, unless I can find a flared fit.

I don't know, muscular calves are one thing but they are clearly too big for my body.
    But, if they were THE SAME, I might feel better about them. They are clearly "uneven" and it sucks. Completely different shape... I don't know when it happened, I just noticed when I was taking measurements earlier in the year.

As a matter of fact, I am going to start biking. The only thing that has stopped me is the cost, I want a good bike and I was supposed to have it already, I'm waiting for a paycheck to get into my account. That and I live where it's still up in the 90 degree temp range, so I'm not really into going out much for exercise until it's below that. Fingers crossed just another couple weeks and I'll have my bike AND down into the lower 80's.

As for 1 calf being 1/2 an inch bigger than the other, do NOT worry about that! So many parts of our bodies are not symmetrical. I bet one of your feet is bigger than the other. I bet one of your arms is longer than the other. That's just the way it goes..fat doesn't come off the extremities at exactly the same rate. It is definitely not something to get down on yourself about!
  • mlindahl
    Options
    Thanks Heather62bro!

I have always been told I have bigger legs/calves even when I weighed 103 lbs. I am small-boned as well and not a bodybuilder.

Either way-I have learned to live and love them because they are what they are, part of my heritage, and yes looking better now that I have lost some weight and doing exercises.

I had trouble buying boots as well and flare jeans-forget it! NOT going to happen unless I go up too many sizes and then like the rest said the rest of the body doesn't do well. I stick to straight leg pants and jeans mainly for that reason.

Good luck everyone on your goals!
  • Tbowman30
    Tbowman30 Posts: 16
    Options
    I can def relate to this!!!! I am ashamed to wear skirts,shorts,etc. because of my calves. I said this year would be totally different I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE THINKS IM GONNA WEAR WHAT I WANT TO!!!!! To answer your question i don't think theres anything you can do about them....if you find out there is PLEASSSSSSSEEEE let me know!
  • sambarhumba
    Options
    You know, we all have body insecurities. If it's not calves it's something else..

I have always known that my calves were large, it's just my genetics. I excercise (mostly cross trainer and dancing) regularly, but have always had these massive calves, even when size 6! It's just genes.

I have had a few comments about them, but the worst - and most hurtful - was when I was standing at a party and a some guy said in front of all my friends and everyone there, 'Has anyone ever told you you have the biggest calves in the world? I mean, seriously. They're massive'.

It bothered me and I felt pretty upset about it. It was such a rude thing to say.. and in front of everyone!

But in the end, I just think - what a jerk! And how rude to say something like that. It's just the most shocking and rudest thing to say to a stranger. and of course it's true, which doesn't make it easy.

But you know what, if I think about what everyone's opinion is about me or my body I'd never leave the house. I have had plenty of complements about my looks in my life and I'd rather hod on to that than some idiot's drunken opinion.

I know my good traits, and I can't stop people commenting on any negatives - but I CAN get comfortable with them and embrace myself. And that frees up a lot of time to be happy and looking on the positive and celebrating great aspects of my life and my body, not worrying about how I can 'fix' my calves - at great financial and emotional and painful expense.

Embrace yourself and never lose respect for yourself no matter what anyone else says! :smile: Calves are just that... calves. Be grateful you have strong and shapely legs and leave it at that. :)
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    i have large calves too! you are not alone... and yep, complete genetics.:sad: :grumble: